PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone use to wash their GTI's?

clone_tk422
02-02-2007, 09:11 AM
New owner, first time to wash. Wondering what everyone is using to wash their little polo, what kind of detergent is recommended etc?

Going out to buy a new chamois and new sponge all ready to give her a wash make her look nice again!

Thanks!

Shade
02-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Dunno haven't had it long enough to give it a wash.:D I will let you know, when i get a chance to wash it this sunday. But it will probably be at a car spa.

clone_tk422
02-02-2007, 11:40 AM
a car spa?? is that a place you take it to get washed?

as dont they use those high pressure hoses they have at carlovers to wash the cars with? I was worried about using those on new paintwork as it must give the paint a beating as opposed to using a normal household hose?

Subie25L
02-02-2007, 11:54 AM
New owner, first time to wash. Wondering what everyone is using to wash their little polo, what kind of detergent is recommended etc?

Going out to buy a new chamois and new sponge all ready to give her a wash make her look nice again!

Thanks!

Get a woollen wash mit and a microfiber drying towel. Thats what i use.
I have two mits. One for the body and another for the wheels.

You can get them from Repco, Supercheap, big W etc.

Shade
02-02-2007, 11:56 AM
No Need to worry about the high pressure hoses, that's what most dealers and professional detailers use. Doesn't hurt it, modern paint work is very tough.

clone_tk422
02-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Get a woollen wash mit and a microfiber drying towel. Thats what i use.
I have two mits. One for the body and another for the wheels.

You can get them from Repco, Supercheap, big W etc.

Cheers mate, could I iinquire as to what brand / product you use to wash ?

thanks

FL00DY
02-02-2007, 12:52 PM
I use Meguiars (sp?) Gold Class. As I have Candy White, it's so white under the sun that it's blinding.

VWDUDER
02-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Hmmm new to washing the Polo or any new car for that matter. Mine is now 2 days old, and with hand smudges and paw prints (DAMN CAT!!!) and wondering how to wash a new car.

Guy at work reckoned that you just was with plain old water using a hand mit. No need for detergents etc for the 1st year (?) as he mentioned that would affect/be harsh on the paint??? Though someone above menetioned new paint was TUFF?

Anyone have a spin on this or recommendations?

Also can anyone recommend a good car cover that won't scratch my paint - car is going to be outside in the short term.....

Anyway of locking car covers so the local fools can't nick them?

Subie25L
02-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Cheers mate, could I iinquire as to what brand / product you use to wash ?

thanks

Meguiars - NTX tech wash or something like that. Also Meguiars NTX wax.

Also make sure you rinse the loose dirt of well. I just use a watering can with a shower head for this unless you can use a pressure hose.
Also use lots of soap/water mix on the wash mit so the dirt doesn't get rubbed into the clear coat and cause the swirl marks you see on some cars.

clone_tk422
02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks all for your replies

I picked up some meguires stuff but it was some car wash gel which apparently has no detergents in it..

it was about $10 - hope this would be ok

I would be interested to find out other peoples thoughts about not using detergents for the first year though if that's true

Also I picked up a microfibre cloth but I thought this was intended to be used as a chamois?

The guy reckons its not so I bought a real leather chamois as well

EDIT: I bought a microfibre poloshing cloth but I see that meguires also make a microfibre chamois. Maybe this is what you meant. Didnt see this there maybe I need to go back again or do you think there is any difference between this and the real leather chamois?

I also bought some meguires wipes, one leather one and one dashboard one because the dash already has marks on it and on the doors as well from shoes. The leather needs to be wiped down as well

can anyone advise if they jave used these products before? Thanks

brumue
02-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I use meguiars gold class too.

I think the no detergent thing is a load of rubbish.
If you just was with water there is no real lubrication to help lift and remove the junk that has collected on your paint. Microfiber or those meguiars lambswool mits to wash the car. Use something seperate to wash your wheels.

I use armour all in my wheel arches, there are many better products available. 303 protectant is a better alternative.

The microfiber cloth you got sounds like it might be more usefull for wiping paintwork after waxing etc. You can get propper towel sized ones that you can use instead of the chamos. I recomend a waffle weave. You can get these and all of your car detailing products from www.waxit.com.au , the guy there is a fellow dub owner and is very helpful, shoot him an email.

Subie25L
02-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Also I picked up a microfibre cloth but I thought this was intended to be used as a chamois?

The guy reckons its not so I bought a real leather chamois as well

EDIT: I bought a microfibre poloshing cloth but I see that meguires also make a microfibre chamois. Maybe this is what you meant. Didnt see this there maybe I need to go back again or do you think there is any difference between this and the real leather chamois?

Sorry - i should have mentioned it was the microfibre chamois - I couldn't remember what the exact name was at the time.

The microfibre cloth is used to wipe product like polish or wax off after applying it.

The only difference that i have been told of between the microfibre chamois and the real leather chamois is that the microfibre chamois soaks up water better.

Anything you want to know about looking after paintwork can be found here : http://www.detailaddiction.com.au/forums/

clone_tk422
03-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Sorry - i should have mentioned it was the microfibre chamois - I couldn't remember what the exact name was at the time.

The microfibre cloth is used to wipe product like polish or wax off after applying it.

The only difference that i have been told of between the microfibre chamois and the real leather chamois is that the microfibre chamois soaks up water better.

Anything you want to know about looking after paintwork can be found here : http://www.detailaddiction.com.au/forums/

Thanks again, actually I found the microfibre polishing cloth very useful. After I washed car and chamoised I had those annoying water marks and streaks..

I used the polishing cloth and like magic they disappeared and my paintwork is back to showroom finish again.

I will check out those microfibre chamois though because i didnt like the real leather one, it was very difficult to use, it feels like rubber and kept squishing up when trying to use it on the car and feels all slimy when wet...

maybe it needs to be used a few times?

gti
03-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Are the leather wipes any good or are they more damaging to the leather/ I have just been using a warm damp cloth and seems to work okay to me...I'm scared to use the wipes I have brought if I need to.

Spec83
04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Due to the tight water restrictions here in QLD, I only get to wash my car properley with suds about once every two months..

But, every week i get a sponge, a bucket of water and my Bowdens microfibre chamois and give her a quick detail to keep her nice and clean...

I get the brake dust off with a soft towel (no water required due to finish on the wheels).

Polish either the top / side / ends at random not exceeding three weeks (each surface of the car gets polished on average every 9 weeks).

I use turtle was gold class polish, turtle wax tyre shine (same as maguires but $10 cheaper - also good for engine detailing), bit of amourguard low shine on the dash and interior plastics...

And finally a bit of of Zaino Z-10 (Leather In A Bottle) to condition the seats... This stuff is by far the best leather conditioner I have used and after two years in the QLD sun the leather still looks brand new!!!!

Enjoy washiing your new baby :)