PDA

View Full Version : "Clunk" when braking in reverse?

Golf Mark 6
23-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi guys.

Absolutely loving my Golf. Has been perfect in every single way, but I've just noticed there's a noticable "clunking" sound from the back of the car when I brake while reversing.

Doesn't make any noise when it brakes going forward.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It may just be that I'm not used to the new brakes after driving my Holden Barina for so long...

Swallowtail
23-09-2009, 01:40 PM
The brake pads can move slightly in the calipers, so it may be that what you are hearing is the pads moving to the opposite limit of their movement with the discs going in reverse. Does it keep doing it? I.e. if you reverse, brake, it makes the clunk, does it do it again if you reverse and brake without going forwards in between?

Golf Mark 6
23-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Just went outside to test and yes, it does make the noise the second time I reverse.

The plot thickens, however...

I also noticed the same sound when I brake going forwards. It only seems to happen at low speed and I think it happens whe the car's body moves in response to stopping.

It's hard to describe the noise, like a "squishy clunk" and it seems to be coming from the back - could even be tyre noise, but it seems too loud for that, especially in my usually silent Golf 6.

philthy
23-09-2009, 02:58 PM
My polo did this for a while after I had new calipers, disks & pads installed. And it only happened when changing from reversing to going forward or vice versa. Has gone away now, seems that it's all settled in. :?

fuzion
23-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I dont understand this, not being rude.

But if your car is new, it has warranty. Go back and complain that you are unhappy, exadgerate the problem if you have to get the result you want.

Golf Mark 6
23-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm going back this afternoon to get it checked out at the dealership, i just wanted to find out if any other Mark 6 owners had experienced something similar.

Will post again when I find out what (if anything) it is so others can access that information.

Not trying to be rude, but i thought that was the point of using a Forum?

mikinoz
23-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I get this on the MKV in reverse.

No problem asking the questions, I wondered myself about this. Post up the response from dealer.

Golf Mark 6
23-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Of course the moment I got to the dealer the sound disapeared...

From my description the mechanic that came out to sit in the car seemed to think it may have had to do with dirty discs. I still think it was something suspension related.

Either way the sound has as mysteriously vanished as it appeared. I will monitor and let y'all know if it starts again..