PDA

View Full Version : what turbo manifold for a RHD vr6 ???

DVR68U
01-02-2007, 07:29 PM
hey guys what manifold is proven to work with a RHD vr6 ? i know of the audspeed one that kicks the turbo of to the side , has anyone got any info on a turbo kit for a rhd vr ??
cheers brenton

Tim
01-02-2007, 08:09 PM
there dont seem to be any "kits" but using that manifold which is actually made by SPA turbo in brazil u can piece together something. Only problem is there are no real drop in chips to suit our ECUs. So stand alone is probly the only real option at this stage. Check out some of the UK builds on www.vr6oc.com
One guy even used his stock ECU with a rising rate FPR. Although his A/F ratios werent perfect. They were reasonably safe.

DVR68U
01-02-2007, 08:20 PM
yeah the stock chip with stock timing , you would think could handle around 7 psi , no proof but i would think it would be able to handle it . and the rising rate reg would help .
plus you make much power and you going to need a diff and new clutch.

Tim
01-02-2007, 08:25 PM
yeah even at low boost from what i have read VR6s seem to make really good power. Ive exchanged a couple emails with a guy in the UK that sells the SPA turbo kits for RHD. and he said at 6psi its ok with stock ecu.

Its a shame we dont seem to have anyone locally that can remap the motronic like how they do in the US.

Personally i dont see the need for 300+ HP in a fwd unless u wanna go drag racing.

DVR68U
01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
yeah i would just want a nice increase in power 220 at the wheels would prob make me very happy

peedman
01-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Wouldnt it be cheaper to get one custom made rather than buying from overseas?

Tim
01-02-2007, 10:44 PM
nnnnnnnnup not unless u can make it yourself

DubSteve
02-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Why not supercharge it, the dude from the cruise Beau reckons that its not good to turbo a car, he suggested supercharging it. Only saying this because I was considering it aswell turbocharging it that is.

Tim
02-02-2007, 10:04 AM
the vr6 engine is tough as. why not turbo it? the only argument against doing it is the price! and the fact that youre gonna break stuffff!

lyle-act
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
i've been slowly putting money away to get a turbo set up.

I was thinking of getting a new car but then i thought instead of spending craploads on a new car ill just get mine rebuilt/turbo'd and have a freakin weapon. Gonna be a while till i get enough cash together though!

DubSteve
02-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I've heard that there alot of problems but with a supercharger you can just bolt it straight on and you won't have to change compression ratios and that.

Tim
02-02-2007, 12:05 PM
its the same with a turbo or supercharger. if u run a lot of boost you need to reduce the compression. if u keep it under 8psi u can run reasonably safely with stock compression.

i wouldnt say one is more reliable than the other. you can have issues with both.

Kenji
02-02-2007, 02:24 PM
with a super charger is't it a bit more stable?
With a turbo woun't it be the boost kickes in
and see you later from end?? I guess it
depends on how much boost.

JET-28L
02-02-2007, 03:30 PM
how much boost do u think ur gonna run out of a bolt on super charger anyway not as much as a turbo and the only reason y turbo are worse coz people push them abit to far, as for super chargers u can run safe low psi and still get alot of power out of them and cheaper!

Tim
02-02-2007, 03:38 PM
supercharger setups usually cost more than a turbo from what i have seen. make less power and higher in the rev range. Nothing against them. But i think a turbo is a better option.

JET-28L
02-02-2007, 03:48 PM
ur probably right if u wanna get the same power out of a super charger then ur getting out of a turbo it will cost more but for what ur after 220 at the wheels id suggest u find urself a t28 ballbearing turbo, boost controller, gtr front mount, waste gate, BOV, just remap the computer and heavy duty injectors ( ur obviously gonna need custom manifold dum pipe and exhaust) but ull easily get 220 at the treads running 1 bar and ul spend around 2g'z on the parts and im not sure how much on istallments and the manifold and all the way through exhaust but doubt it will b more then 5-6 g'z and ull make over 220 ( my dad spent around 5 and his making 200 at the wheels on his soarer) hope that helped

DubSteve
02-02-2007, 03:59 PM
make less power and higher in the rev range.

You can set them to run when ever you want can't you?

JET-28L
02-02-2007, 04:03 PM
You can set them to run when ever you want can't you?
with super chargers because there run of the belt (unlike turbo's hit on boost hard at about 3 and stay on till red line) the superchargers get higher boost the faster the belt spins and depending on the pulley ratio

peedman
02-02-2007, 06:09 PM
higher in the rev range.

That would only be true assuming you have a high displacement supercharger which requires a comparatively greater effort to reach max boost.

It all depends on what application/size you look for but if your not gonna run more than 8psi, theres no reason why a smallish supercharger cannot make that same power for the same cost possibly even cheaper.

Tim
02-02-2007, 06:17 PM
true. its all in the pullies and strings really :)

Golf Loon
02-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I reckon the VR6 is laggy enough already I`d go supercharger for more low down power. The VR6 has heaps up top already.

Tim
02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
i thought the SC robs u of low down power cos you have the extra friction but no boost yet.
A turbo setup doesnt have to be laggy. we are talking about a 2.8L engine. Ud think it would be capable of spooling up a modest turbo without much trouble.

william
02-02-2007, 08:02 PM
think about which one is easier and more cost effective to fit, i would go supercharger as better down low more torque where needed which is low revs, they already have kits set up in the states for about $3000 american thats injectors ecu supercharger and everything needed by the time you get a decent turbo manifold done you could have fitted a sc kit

h100vw
02-02-2007, 08:05 PM
i thought the SC robs u of low down power cos you have the extra friction but no boost yet.
A turbo setup doesnt have to be laggy. we are talking about a 2.8L engine. Ud think it would be capable of spooling up a modest turbo without much trouble.

Not been in a G60 ever, my Golf would pull from 1000 revs in top no probs. A very flexible drive indeed.

No high revving BS there. Yeah the charger takes a bit of turning but the torque from practically no revs is addictive.

Gavin

Golf Loon
02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
think about which one is easier and more cost effective to fit, i would go supercharger as better down low more torque where needed which is low revs, they already have kits set up in the states for about $3000 american thats injectors ecu supercharger and everything needed by the time you get a decent turbo manifold done you could have fitted a sc kit

I`d go SC in your car too William. It`d fit nicely down there on the RHS too :)

There is a French mob who make a nice bolt on job, but big $$.

Tim
02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Not been in a G60 ever, my Golf would pull from 1000 revs in top no probs. A very flexible drive indeed.

Gavin

im open to offers of going for a spin in one! :P

The SPA Turbo manifold can be had for under $500AUD landed

A VF or C2 SC kit from the states will cost well over 5k AUD landed. Altho C2 dont have decent software for our ECUs yet. It is something they are apparently working on last time i emailed chris tho.
The VF kit apparently aint all that good tho.

h100vw
02-02-2007, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=Tim]im open to offers of going for a spin in one! :P

You'll have to speak to Carpoid, G60JAY or Aussieg60, I left mine in the UK.

The noise they make rocks.

I have been in a supercharged Golf VR6 as well, would have wupped teh G60 with about 275HP and no intercooler!!

Gavin

Tim
02-02-2007, 08:23 PM
nice!
Gotta love the supercharger whine. plastics supercharged R32 sounds pretty mean.

getting back to the original topic of which turbo manifolds will work on a RHD. The EIP one has been used on quite a few RHD cars in the UK. But apparently its a close fit depending on the size of your turbo. Altho being a tubular manifold i guess it would be easy to modify if you need to. But then if youre gonna do that u might as well fab something from scratch the design of theirs is pretty straight forward

william
02-02-2007, 08:24 PM
The SPA Turbo manifold can be had for under $500AUD landed

A VF or C2 SC kit from the states will cost well over 5k AUD landed. Altho C2 dont have decent software for our ECUs yet. It is something they are apparently working on last time i emailed chris tho.
The VF kit apparently aint all that good tho.

i hear what your saying but personally i would prefer a supercharger over a turbocharger more room in a vr6 for a sc better cooling where is located easier to mount no oil lines, vacumm lines, turbo timer,pipeing majorly

Bug_racer
06-02-2007, 01:41 AM
superchargers still run oil lines

This argument has been done to death

One factor to also consider is heat . A turbo will generate a lot of heat .

A turbo is probably more efficient but for the power you guys are after a supercharger is the most cost effective way of getting that power . And I agree with Tim 300hp + in a fwd = wheelspin

As for the manifold , they can be made here , I'll find out what the will cost but what kind of application will it be needed for ? There are soooo many different turbo's out there . First step is to work out what turbo your gonna use !

DVR68U
06-02-2007, 07:57 AM
yeah im well read on the super vs turbo. i just wanted to know what manifolds have been used on a rhd and not had problems with the position of the turbo. so if the eip one has fit then i guess the others should all fit with a moderately sized turbo aswell.
cheers brenton

Tim
06-02-2007, 09:40 AM
the EIP manifold is completely different to everything else on the market. it uses the stock exhaust manifolds and replaces the downpipe section and places the turbo down there
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/eipturbo-1.jpg

Bug_racer
06-02-2007, 09:40 AM
must be a baby turbo cause there aint much room down there