PDA

View Full Version : Optional Park Assist

harrip
22-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi There

Could someone advise, if you get the optional park assist installed as a factory fitted extra, but without Sat Nav, does the radio come with a larger display or is the Park Assist display just on the dashboard indicator?

Thank you

Arctra
22-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Um, I think you might be confusing technologies here:

Park Assist: Option on it's own not requiring a satnav (RNS510) or CD player (RCD510 or RCD310). If you opt for this they'll add proximity sensors to the front and rear bumpers, and the side of the front bumpers so the vechile can detect when it's close to an object when parallel parking for you - as that's what Park Assist does, it parallel parks for you.

OPS (Optical Parking System): I believe this is the display in the factory fitted radio unit (RCD310, RCD510, or RNS510) that shows the distance you are from and object (allong with beeping) if you have parking sensors installed (e.g. with the Park Assist option). The image looks like this:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/attachment.php?attachmentid=4559&d=1243860407

Reverse Park Assist (I think that's what it's called): This requires you to have either the RCD510 radio unit or the RNS510 (Satnav) radio unit together with the reversing camera. What it does is overlays a grid that shows where the vehicle is aimed while reversing like this:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/attachment.php?attachmentid=4560&d=1243860424

Does this help at all?

harrip
22-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Many thanks for the reply, it is appreciated, although I'm still a bit confused.

On looking at the Tig brochure, I see it lists as an available option:

Park Assist
- Park Assist Parallel Parking assistance
- Parking distance sensors (front and rear)
- Optical Parking System in the radio/navigation display

so it appears all these elements are installed as the "Park Assist" option. I believe my query concerns the Optical Parking System.

If you only have the standard radio fitted, the RCD310, it appears to only have a small basic display. Does it still show a visual representation of the car and surrounding obstacles or is this upgraded as part of the Park Assist package?

Is the next radio up, the RCD 510 (without sat nav), also known as the Dynaudio option for around $1800?

Many thanks.

jfranek
22-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi There

Could someone advise, if you get the optional park assist installed as a factory fitted extra, but without Sat Nav, does the radio come with a larger display or is the Park Assist display just on the dashboard indicator?

Thank you

I have the 2010 125TSI with factory Park Assist from dealer's stock.
It consists of two subsystems, each with its own switch:

- Front and rear parking distance warning, displayed on the monochrome radio screen, which is about 4cm wide. It shows a horizontal diagram of the vehicle (front on the left, rear on the right) with a multisegment beam from each corner. As you approach an obstacle, more segments lit up and the audible warning intensifies.
When you are approaching an obstacle in front, you must switch the swith on manually. It switches on by itself when reversing. Switches off automatically at 10km/h.

- The full Park Assist is displayed on the dashboard screen, which seems to be larger than the previous models. I have not used it yet.

Joe

Edit: the radio display is actually only 3cm wide (high?). It does not show obstacles as such, but it is quite good. Each 'beam' has 8 segments. The segment closest to the car represents an obstacle aprox. 30cm, the farthest segment represents an obstacle about 130cm from the car.

MKTD
22-09-2009, 10:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13OC851fwuo

The video explains all. Hope it clears the cloud for you.

Cheers

Arctra
23-09-2009, 09:34 AM
so it appears all these elements are installed as the "Park Assist" option.
Correct.

I believe my query concerns the Optical Parking System.

If you only have the standard radio fitted, the RCD310, it appears to only have a small basic display. Does it still show a visual representation of the car and surrounding obstacles or is this upgraded as part of the Park Assist package?
It will only show a visual representation IF YOU HAVE PARKING SENSORS installed (which I think you can only get with the Park Assist package). No parking sensors = no visual display (regardless of what radio you have)

Is the next radio up, the RCD 510 (without sat nav), also known as the Dynaudio option for around $1800?
No, the Dynaudio package is different. It gives you better quality speakers and a few other audio upgrades I believe.

I actually found this very topic very frustrating when I was looking at what to get. It seems that if you go for the 147 you get the RCD510 by default, together with the reverse parking camera and reverse park assist. If you go for the 125, or the 103TDI, you either get the standard RCD310, or fork out the cash for the RNS510 Satnav system. I don't know why you don't really have an option for the RCD510 on the lower spec Tigs in Aus. If we do have the option, the Dealers misinformation is a hindrance as they don't seem to realise they can offer that.

Hope that helps.

Spook
23-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Stock 125TSI/103TDI
- std RCD310
- optional Park assist will give you front and rear parking sensors and OPS, but you retain the RCD310
- optional dynaudio will give you RCD510
- optional satnav will give you RNS510

I believe the RCD510 is an option on the GolfVI, which means theoretically you can ask the dealer to fit it in the Tiguan for you.

harrip
23-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Excellent - many thanks for your help on this one. It is certainly less than clear in the brochures but this has cleared it up.

Cheers.