PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Cupra and Ibiza GTI

sports racer
22-09-2009, 12:09 AM
OK, I know I'm lazy and the answer is probably tucked away somewhere on the forum but what's the difference between the Cupra and the Ibiza GTI? Are all Cupras fitted with 16v motors and GTI's with 8v? Are the bodies the same and all parts interchangeable?

Cheers

Paul

jayjay
22-09-2009, 12:13 AM
hahaha. soooo lazy.

they're effectively the same body but no, a large proportion of parts are non-interchangeable. for instance gearbox, bumpers glass and a few others.

basically, because all the cupras brought here are super late model ( read 1999 ), so they all have the revised bumpers and side skirts etc.

Cupra
22-09-2009, 10:49 AM
But to answer your question, yes all the cupras in Oz have 16v ABF motors while the gti's are 8v (the loons first luv).

William on here I believe fitted late cordy bumpers to his gti after the Nats, so I think the cupra cosmetic bits may fit although to me the cupra looks longer in the nose then the 95 gti but it may just be an illusion!

Phil

Golf Loon
23-09-2009, 09:27 PM
OK, where to start.

Cars are basically the same.

All Ibizas after 97 had the big bumpers, but the only Ibizas of that vintage in Oz are the 54 Cupras, all of which are 98/99 Models.

Overseas you could get a Cupra that was only an 8v and a 1.4 2 door that looks the same as one of our Cupras.

THe post 97 Cars are facelifted and have different Guards, Bumpers, Headlights and Grille. The headlights are dual chamber and the blinkers are a different shape to those on the earlier cars. The Cupras also have twin thermofans, not one fan with a belt connecting it to the slave fan.

The Cupra bumpers would not fit straight onto the front of an early Ibiza as the bolt on points are different. You can get a similar look by using a late model Cordoba bar which will bolt onto the early Ibiza Guards. Late Rear bar will fit an early car.

Engine wise all the Aussie Cupras are ABF 2L 16v engines. This is coupled to a Cable Shift Gearbox, which is very similar to a VR6 gearbox. The 2L 8v Cars have a rod shift box. The different kinds of gearbox make the cars very different to drive. The 8v is more nippy at acellerating, whilst the cupra has less power down low and heaps more up top.

The Cupras got a specced up interior, compared to the GTIs, Bucket Seats are Awesome and they got Silver Faced Dials, Radio that adjusts with the speed that you are going, pop out rear windows and 2 airbags.

8v GTIs got No Airbags up to 95 and then One after that. Post 97, got 2 Airbags.

GTIs Got 14" Mags as Standard, whilst the Cupras got 16" Wheels to clear the bigger 280mm Brakes.

The Cupras got ABS as Standard, it was an option on the GTIs. The two systems are different, but that may be an early late model thing.

Both Great Cars, I have had a few of each. I prefer the 8v as a fun car to drive. If the speedlimits were not so pathetically low, I`d Go the Cupra.

I think thats it, hope it helps.

leo46
24-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Golf Loon you never cease to amaze!

sports racer
24-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Sounds like I need a Cupra as most of my driving (180 Km per day) is done over 100 kph.

What's the difference in fuel economy?

Cheers

Paul

Cupra
24-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Fuel economy wise I get 10lt/100km around town & by that I really mean around Richmond from home to work on the RAAF base everyday but when I do take the old girl for a run it easily gets 7-8lt/100km on the open road

Phil

Hadders
07-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi all,

My 95 Ibiza GTI takes about 10l/100km around town. Booting it along the open road at say, speed limit + 5 km/hr brings it down to about 6.7 easily, using basic unleaded.

I often use premium because I'm told it is cleaneer but I have not noticed an improvement that matches the price. With premium I THINK there is smoother idling but consumption per 100Km seems very very close.

I'd appreciate comments on whether the premium is worth buying.

Martin Hadley