PDA

View Full Version : VIC T5 ex Ambulance WANTED

tron
19-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi all,
I am after a T5 ex Ambo, KM under 100K, will consider non ambo 5 door LWB window van as well, prefer 128Kw Auto.
Will Travel, distance not a problem

Cheers Tron

Golf Houso
19-09-2009, 10:24 AM
www.manheimfowles.com.au

www.pickles.com.au

They have them every week...

tron
19-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Ta for the reply, but they have not had any for 5 weeks, and have none on the immediate horizon:(

Graeme
19-09-2009, 10:41 AM
They are all sold at auction by Mannheim Fowles. Follow their excellent website.

The mileage varies quite a bit so if you are patient you can get them with under around 65,000kms. They seem to be sold at around the three year mark irrespective of mileage and their usage depends on where they have been posted and whether they are just a backup for other vehicles in the garage. Usefully, the ambulance drivers union are said to have refused to have anything smaller than a Sprinter for city work so most VW's are from the country where they cruise up and down the highway without a lot of wear and tear.

If you want a 4motion they come up rather less regularly.

The prices vary but I reckon low 20's is about average.

There are a few holes here and there in plastic bits as all the ambulance gear is stripped before sale.

At the auction most demand comes from Carrs Cars of Brookvale. Paul Carr seems to have a keen eye for those with fewer blemishes which sell at the lower end of the price range. He then adds at least $5,000 before reselling them. He does very minor detailing and cleaning as little is needed. Because the van has only two seats it is a commercial vehicle and as such does not get a dealer warranty. (I'm not sure if Carr even buys for dealers out of Sydney). You will find his cars on CarSales.com and the like. For the $5,000+ loading I guess you can test the car before purchase but if you buy at auction that $5,000+ would be a great repair fund?

I looked at many but eventually gave up on auction buying as there is no possibility of a mechanical check and preferred the ability to check before purchase as VW repairs can be pricey. If a good auction vehicle appeared I would have bought it after putting aside $X as a possible repair fund.

I found a much better quality non-ambulance with a service record. At three years of age the services should be all OK and the car in good order due to use of its guarantee.

Th NSW Ambulance service is authorised to d its own servicing but the service history is not normally documented as the drivers chuck out the service book to make room in the glove box for personal items.

...more than you wanted to know!

tron
20-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info Graeme,
All good stuff, just need mannheims to get a few in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!