PDA

View Full Version : New Hyundai Sonata

dubbed
18-09-2009, 01:38 PM
I said about five or so years ago that Hyundai was lifting up their game. Our family bought a new Sonata in 1997 - the interior was great and had more features than anything in its price range.

Well have a look at the new one. I'm sure you can see the similarities with another car on the road. Even the author mentions what I was thinking. Very nice interior:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009/medium-passenger/hyundai/sonata/new-look-hyundai-sonata-unveiled-16723

Oh, and the Sonata we had fell to bits after a few years haha.

The_Hawk
18-09-2009, 02:01 PM
We bought an Elantra new in 2001 and it was pretty good. At 105kW for a 2.0L it was the most powerful in it's class. It drove pretty damn well and while it was clearly not a top shelf finish it was quite good, even with a baby to deal with.

I will admit we had the top of the range so had all the extra's… although there really wasn't a lot outside of the power windows, alloy wheels and body kit. Speaking of body kit, it was amazingly low for a stock car, used to scrape on all sorts of things.

After 5 years we sold it for 20% of it's purchase price :P When all is said and done, your probably better off spending the same cash on a second hand vehicle from a better stable ;)

Mr Messy
18-09-2009, 02:15 PM
That's ugly IMO. Sorta harks back to the baaad old days of the Hyundai coupe.

http://images.paultan.org/uploads/2006/07/tiburon1.jpg

Were I shopping in that sector, I'd be buying a second hand Mazda6. They so purdy.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/revealed2008mazda6_100218880_m-1.jpg

I don't know what it is about Hyundai. They are building better cars now (Genesis, i30) but I just couldn't buy one. Its irrational, but I loathe the thought of a Hyundai just as much as I covet 911s.

woosh73
18-09-2009, 02:47 PM
the new 2010 tiburon will be coming out in a rwd turbo 4 or v6 , apparently it was initially aimed at the japanese and amercian drift scene and english , should be interesting when it hits australia. The styling doesn't look at that bad and with hyundai it should be pretty price competitive.

maca
18-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I like it.. Although it's got way too many styling attributes from other cars (those mentioned in the artice plus many more)..

madglf3
18-09-2009, 04:15 PM
It might be an ok car, but I can't ever see myself giving money to a company that blatantly rips off other manufacturers styles (these manufacturers often have arrived at these style cues after generations of their model ranges). I agree with Aaron, I'd probably just buy an older second hand car from another maker.

Tim
18-09-2009, 04:19 PM
looks like a passat cc that someone left in the sun for too long!

No doubt it will be great bang for buck. But id rather drive something else sorry.

maca
18-09-2009, 10:12 PM
And the power specs for the Korean models??

At least the Prius cop car in ACT will be able to keep up :P