PDA

View Full Version : help:tiguan variant can't decide

snooze
17-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi all,

We saw the tiguan and fell in love, coming from a honda civic auto whenever the car are filled with five passengers, its seem gutless and stressful to move.

Our requirements are:
1)to seat 5 passengers with air cold on and the car can still move without stressing.
2) highway driving and overtaking power.

125TSI
103TDI
147TSI

I test drove the 147TSI and felt its got power to satifised our requirements but abit pricey considering our option addons want leather, sunroof, offroad, park assist, fog lamp.

which automatic variants would suit our need?

and how much would I expect to pay driveaway for the above models and options.

Thanks all in advanced.

team_v
17-09-2009, 06:17 PM
125 + chip if you want power with no luxury extra's.

147 if you want power and luxury extras.

103 diesel if you want economy and can be chipped to 125kw.

A quick search wil show the tiguan payment costs from forum members.
Should be able to determine what you want from that.

Pullstarter
17-09-2009, 06:23 PM
125+chip=reasonably priced fun :)

team_v
17-09-2009, 06:26 PM
125+chip=reasonably priced fun :)

That's the path I'm going to take.

snooze
17-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm too afraid to chip anything to a brand new car :)

anyone with this model 103TDI, 125TSI will it drive 5 passengers without stressing and still have the grunt for highway and overtaking?

I noticed a 125TDI variant on the internet, will we get this model in australia?

Arctra
17-09-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm too afraid to chip anything to a brand new car :)

anyone with this model 103TDI, 125TSI will it drive 5 passengers without stressing and still have the grunt for highway and overtaking?

I noticed a 125TDI variant on the internet, will we get this model in australia?

I have the TDI and it has enough grunt. Did a long trip up to northern NSW not long after I got it with 4 of us adults in the vehicle it still had plenty space, and we fitted 2 tents and equipment in the boot. Granted, there was no space left in the boot of back shelf, but the point is we were fully loaded. On the long uphills between Newcastle and Sydney we were cruising past other cars with the cruise control on. No mess, no fuss. The auto box is beautifully smooth too.

The 125TDI is not available in Aus but the 103 can be chipped to about that spec vehicle. I have not done it yet as I want to get to the end of manufacturer warrenty before I do it.

I love the TDI but often wonder if I had to do the choosing again if I would go for it knowing I could have got the 125TSI and had it chipped for about the same price. The thing that is attractive about the TSI isn't its higher kW's, it's the fact that is has a "peak" torque over a MUCH wider rev range to keep you pinned back in your seat when accelerating. I do have a soft spot for oil burners though, so I'm very happy with my TDI.

team_v
17-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I love the TDI but often wonder if I had to do the choosing again if I would go for it knowing I could have got the 125TSI and had it chipped for about the same price. The thing that is attractive about the TSI isn't its higher kW's, it's the fact that is has a "peak" torque over a MUCH wider rev range to keep you pinned back in your seat when accelerating. I do have a soft spot for oil burners though, so I'm very happy with my TDI.

Again, this was a concern of mine.
The TDI was meant for low end torque and grunting around, but the chip opens up a greater torque band for the TSI engine than the diesels have.

Chipping a new car is not a problem in my eyes.
Just ask sharkie, his has only done 800km and it's going to Guy to get chipped shortly.

The only problem is what happens in 10 years when they remove unleaded fuel and everything goes electric/hydrogen.

snooze
17-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I just did some reading regarding the chip, indeed sound very interesting, considering the power increase with the 125kw variant.

is the chip all thats needed to boost the output to 178kw with 360nm torque or other minor mods needed to incorporate this power increase eg. exhaust, air filter etc?

does the chip work along side the offroad option?

team_v
17-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I just did some reading regarding the chip, indeed sound very interesting, considering the power increase with the 125kw variant.

is the chip all thats needed to boost the output to 178kw with 360nm torque or other minor mods needed to incorporate this power increase eg. exhaust, air filter etc?

From memory the chip bumps power figures up to 187kw by itself.
With haldex, intake and exhaust you could make over 200kw.
http://goapr.com.au/products/ecu_upgrade_tiguan20tsi.html

Best bet would be to check through the below thread about tiguan tuning or to talk to Guy about the go-fast bits APR provide.

Arctra
17-09-2009, 08:37 PM

does the chip work along side the offroad option?

The "chip" is actually just a remap of your ECU, it's nothing physical from what I understand.

Secondly, the off-road pack just alters the characteristics of the throttle, brakes, and haldex ("locks" it in a 50/50 split of power between front and back rather than varying as needed). So yes, the "chip" will work with the offroad pack.

snooze
18-09-2009, 03:00 AM
thanks guys for all ur input.

Im now comtemplating on getting the 125tsi variant with chip in mind.

from what I gathered here:
- Oettinger re-map gives 178KW 360 NM torque approx $2500 (single program)
(I feel this chip would suit me more because of the peace of mind, not too extreme and not a burden on the drive train or gearbox etc..)

- APR re-map gives 189KW 402NM torque approx $2000 with 2 programs, additional program will be extra.
(correct me if I am wrong)

anyone have performance figure for the above mods:
0-100km in how many second (manual & Auto)?
quarter mile time (manual & Auto)?
what RPM range would I expect the power to kick-in?
Just want to compare against the standard spec.

Sharkie
18-09-2009, 06:41 AM
I've been through this exact exercise for my brother yesterday .......

Personally I'd buy the 147TSI (if it came in a manual).

BUT .... the 125TSI Auto specced up will have the same basics as the 147 less the sport seats (which you get if you add leather to the 125 anyway), the 17" wheels which are very nice to look at, the RCD510 radio as standard and a few other cosmetics that add nothing really to the value for $4200 less ......

Chip the 125/147TSI and the autos will do 0-100km/h in 6.5s and the quartermile in 14.7s which is pretty good for a SUV. A chipped manual TSI will do it all at least 0.5s quicker yet again. Chipped TDI manual 0-100km/h in 10.0s, auto 10.5s. No real spectactular gains there I'm afraid.

My brother is leaning towards the 125 Auto while I recommend the 147.:cool:

I would not recommend the TDI to anybody who want some performance as its only advantage is economy. I would recommend the TDI to anybody chasing economy and a leisurely drive.

snooze
18-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Can I ask how much are everyone paying for their insurance premium?

how much does it cost for servicing interval with the tiguan?

Sanman
18-09-2009, 11:37 PM
I
I would not recommend the TDI to anybody who want some performance as its only advantage is economy. I would recommend the TDI to anybody chasing economy and a leisurely drive.

I bought the TDI not for the economy (there is a 3 year pay back for the increased cost of the diesel motor) but because it drives like a 6 cyl because of the torque and low rpm. As I drive in peak traffic most of the time, it feels like a six, its only when you wind it out through the gears (obviously not in traffic) that it becomes obvious its limited. Even then, its does a good job, mid range pick up on the freeway is excellent. I'd only see an advantage of Petrol if it was manual (And chipped)

Edit: reading Sharkie's spirited response below reminds me that there are two distinct markets for the petrol and diesel engines.

Sanman
18-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Can I ask how much are everyone paying for their insurance premium?

how much does it cost for servicing interval with the tiguan?

Incredibly, RACV(NRMA) insurance was hands down cheapest, low $600s
Better than budgetdirect, iBingle etc

I did the research for servicing the Tiguan, it has minor service every 15,000 and major every 30,000 - about $300 and $500. No timing belt required at 90,000 (or ever). It was cheaper than a Holden Captiva to service. Ford Territory is marginally cheaper.

snooze
19-09-2009, 04:15 AM
thanks again guys for ur intuitive inputs.

I remember on my old r32 skyline GTR service was done every 5000km. I'd thought it would be the same for the tiguan as its essentially a turbo car. I would expect 10000km as a maximum due time for a service yet alone 15000km or am I underestimating volkswagen's architectural engine design? It seem more like a cost measure contrary to the regular service and maintenance of a turbo combustion engine.

Sharkie
19-09-2009, 06:18 AM
I bought the TDI not for the economy (there is a 3 year pay back for the increased cost of the diesel motor) but because it drives like a 6 cyl because of the torque. As I drive in peak traffic most of the time, it feels like a six, its only when you wind it out through the gears (obviously not in traffic) that it becomes obvious its limited. Even then, its does a good job, mid range pick up on the freeway is excellent. I'd only see an advantage of Petrol if it was manual (And chipped)

From another thread ......

"The TDi makes 320Nm from 1750rmin-2500rmin .... it is very far from a flat torque curve as it climbs very steeply to that point and drops quite steeply from 2500 onwards. It is only flat for 750rmin and far from ideal.

The TSi Tiguans makes 280Nm from 1700rmin - 5000rmin ... which is a flat torque powerband of 3300rmin which is amazing. At 1700rmin and from 2700rmin onwards it makes more torque than the TDi. Have a look at the torque curves ...... At crawling speed over obstacles off-road the TSI will have more torque delivered ...... :eek:

The TDi's strenghts are its economy and lazy revving character not its torque advantage ...... :eek: The TDIs gear ratios are chosen to complement this, but in all acceleration tests, including in-gear overtaking it lags far behind the TSIs. :eek:"........

TDI does not have the torque advantage many think, you'd be better off in any possible "performance requiring" situation in a TSI. At idle and moving at peak hour speeds in traffic the TSI actually has more torque available/delivered ....... not to mention then later when you open it up in lighter traffic it has way more for longer as well.:cool:

EDIT: in addition the TDI has noticably more lag than the TSI and it is this lag that give the impression of more torque as it arrives in a rush after a few moments of nothing. The TSIs have small turbos (disappointingly so from a performance enhancement perspective) and spool up faster and get on with it quicker.

Pullstarter
19-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Minimum servicing intervals are 15000 but VW reccomend a mini service every 7500. I will be changing the oil and filter in mine every 7500k for peace of mind, it's probably not necessary but i'm a fussy sod :P

Insurance for me is $850 a year as I've done some mods, GIO was fine with the mods as long as they're legal and you tell them about them as you do them. They even increase the value of your car to take into account the cost of the mods. Only drawback is an excess increase of $250 but tbh this really doesn't bother me as it's all on paper and there can be no backing out if/when clain time comes.

dogbowl
20-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I would not recommend the TDI to anybody who want some performance as its only advantage is economy. This is misleading. The TDI has heaps of low-down grunt, and plenty of oomph. Also, Diesels are not as affected by carrying loads or hills, so we ought to count that as advantageous.

Any Tiguan variant has plenty of performance for daily driving.

DieselTig
20-09-2009, 11:51 AM
This is misleading. The TDI has heaps of low-down grunt, and plenty of oomph. Also, Diesels are not as affected by carrying loads or hills, so we ought to count that as advantageous.

I guess if someone wanted performance, why not go for golf gti or the R32, why bother with so much power on SUV. It is pure physics here, SUV high centre of gravity and therefore not stable enough when cornering. Golf has very low centre of gravity and suitable driving like a race car and therefore worth having the extra power and torque.
SUV's intended purpose is for leisure drives on and off road and enjoying the surroundings without concentrating how fast you need to turn at the next corner.

mickofoz
20-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Couldn't agree with more. If I wanted a race car, would have bought an R32. People seem to forget they bought an SUV.

Sharkie
20-09-2009, 02:02 PM
This is misleading. The TDI has heaps of low-down grunt, and plenty of oomph. Also, Diesels are not as affected by carrying loads or hills, so we ought to count that as advantageous.

No its not misleading, the comparison is between the TSI and TDI Tigs. The 1 (TSI) has performance and the other does not comparitvely.

For daily sedate driving both are perfectly fine, however any other petrol non-turbo mainstream SUV is quicker than the TDI .... have a look at the SUV megatest in Wheels magazine recently for confirmation of this fact.

And neither of the Tigs are affected by hills and loads, the turbos (diesel and petrol) see to that.:cool:

Bottom line is, if you want decent performance from your small SUV pick a TSI Tiguan or a XT Forrester.

Sharkie
20-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Couldn't agree with more. If I wanted a race car, would have bought an R32. People seem to forget they bought an SUV.

I am buying a Golf R as my "race car". There is nothing wrong with wanting decent performance from your small SUV. Porsche, VW, Audi, BMW and Mercedes all have "performance" models in their medium & large SUV ranges.

There is a definate market for small performance SUV's and Subaru has been it for many years with the XT Forrester. VW's only getting into it now, in Europe you can even order a R-Line Tiguan with all kinds of extras.

Sharkie
20-09-2009, 02:49 PM
.... For daily sedate driving both are perfectly fine, however any other petrol non-turbo mainstream SUV is quicker than the TDI .... have a look at the SUV megatest in Wheels magazine recently for confirmation of this fact .... .

Wheels September 2008 SUV Test

0-100km/h as a benchmark

VW Tiguan TDI Manual = 10.9s (Auto is even slower according to VW)

Subaru Forrester 2.5 Manual = 9.6s
Mitsubishi Outlander Manual = 9.6s
Nissan Xtrail Auto = 9.0s
Toyota RAV4 2.4 Auto = 10.4s
Subaru Forrester 2.5 Auto = 10.2s

And some diesel competitors ....
Land Rover Freelander TD Auto = 10.4s
Jeep Patriot TDI Manual = 10.6s

August 09 Wheels test of the Premium SUVs
BMW X3 2.0TDI Auto = 9.0s (and it weighs 150kg more than a Tiguan)
Audi Q5 TDI DSG = 10.1s (and it weighs 200kg more than a Tiguan)

mickofoz
21-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Well... my next car in 3 - 4 years will be a Touareg. Hopefully by then they will offer the V8 version. I doubt they will ever offer the W12 version here. I have driven the W12 in Germany last year. Now that's performance. Makes the Tigga tuners look silly.

dogbowl
22-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Wheels September 2008 SUV Test

0-100km/h as a benchmark

VW Tiguan TDI Manual = 10.9s (Auto is even slower according to VW)

Subaru Forrester 2.5 Manual = 9.6s
Mitsubishi Outlander Manual = 9.6s
Nissan Xtrail Auto = 9.0s
Toyota RAV4 2.4 Auto = 10.4s
Subaru Forrester 2.5 Auto = 10.2s

And some diesel competitors ....
Land Rover Freelander TD Auto = 10.4s
Jeep Patriot TDI Manual = 10.6s

August 09 Wheels test of the Premium SUVs
BMW X3 2.0TDI Auto = 9.0s (and it weighs 150kg more than a Tiguan)
Audi Q5 TDI DSG = 10.1s (and it weighs 200kg more than a Tiguan)

I wonder how the Diesel performs in relation to 60-100 km/h? I am buying th petrol, but was amazed at the grunt in the TDI. Actually, I have yet to drive a petrol so hope it is up to expectation!

Sharkie
22-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I wonder how the Diesel performs in relation to 60-100 km/h? I am buying th petrol, but was amazed at the grunt in the TDI. Actually, I have yet to drive a petrol so hope it is up to expectation!

Again, the TDI flatters to deceive ....... what your seat of your pants are telling you and the real story is quite different.....

From the same Wheels Megatest ..... a quick comparison as an example ......

VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI 6spd manual 103kw/320NM@1750rmin/1630kg
0-100km/h - 10.9s
400m - 17.6s
80-120km/h in 3rd - Not possible
80-120km/h in 4th - 7.4s
80-120km/h in 5th - 8.5s
80-120km/h in 6th - 10.1s

Honda CRV Sport 6spd manual 125kw/218NM@4200rmin/1580kg
0-100km/h - 8.8s
400m - 15.8s
80-120km/h in 3rd - 5.5
80-120km/h in 4th - 6.9s
80-120km/h in 5th - 9s
80-120km/h in 6th - 10.3s

So in effect a normally aspirated 2.4l weighing almost the same and 100NM down on torque is pretty much on par in the overtaking stakes with the "grunty" TDI.......:eek: Off the line and the TDI is no match at all .....

EDIT:
I still have a 2.4 MK2 RAV4 slightly modified to produce 130kw/240NM (until the R arrives) and know that it is both quicker than the CRV and on par with my 125TSI manual off the line. In in-gear overtaking the Tig has it beat though; as brilliant as the VVTI engine is in the Rav it is no match for the petrol turbo torque across 3300rmin of the TSI ....... (and that was with my wife driving the Tig)

snooze
24-09-2009, 11:06 AM
can I confirm if the 125tsi engine is still the same as the golf gti?

are any any difference between 125tsi and 147 tsi?

( I'm assuming they are exactly the same as chip tune to these engine gives the same 190Kw output)

clip
24-09-2009, 01:52 PM
can I confirm if the 125tsi engine is still the same as the golf gti?

are any any difference between 125tsi and 147 tsi?

( I'm assuming they are exactly the same as chip tune to these engine gives the same 190Kw output)
As far as I know, the 125 /147 tsi (identical engines) will also be run in the new MK6 GTi (out later this year) which is different to the current GTi engine. Changes include fuel pump, heads -and some other stuff from memory - all of which makes it a great proposition for upgrades too.

clip
24-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Again, the TDI flatters to deceive ....... what your seat of your pants are telling you and the real story is quite different.....

Interesting stuff over those last few posts there Sharkie :bowdown:. Glad someone has cleared it up.

I just hope that Will Hagen(?) is reading this because I'm sick and tired of hearing him carry on about how much more drivable diesels are because of their huge torque.

NZTiguan
24-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Interesting stuff over those last few posts there Sharkie :bowdown:. Glad someone has cleared it up.

I just hope that Will Hagen(?) is reading this because I'm sick and tired of hearing him carry on about how much more drivable diesels are because of their huge torque.

All that was "cleared up" is that petrol engines are generally faster to accelerate but even that's due to the way they're built, after all the le-mans winners nowadays are diesels !!

As far as "more drivable" goes I'd agree with anybody who said a diesel IS because it's loping along not needing all the "revs and rush", but I haven't seen anybody ever claim they'd do a better standing quarter or whatever.

"Horses for courses" and for many people (as evidenced by the sales) the diesel does have considerable advantages over the petrol and "drivability" and economy are just two of them.

Cheers

Sharkie
24-09-2009, 02:49 PM
not needing all the "revs and rush" ....

"Horses for courses" and for many people (as evidenced by the sales) the diesel does have considerable advantages over the petrol and "drivability" and economy are just two of them.

Cheers

Still sticking to the brain washed mantra ....... :rolleyes:

in fact the TDIs are ALL about the rush ....

Driving a turbo diesel (any one) works as follows ....

lag
short boost peak
no power
change gear
lag
short boost peak
no power
change gear
etc
etc
etc
etc

It is not at all "driveable" in the same sense that a normally aspirated car or especially a turbo petrol car is.

The ploy that the manufacturers use to disguise this with is either a good auto gbox (and the VW tiptronic is brilliant and tuned specifically to hide the engine's shortcomings) or short manual ratios. It is this very short spike in torque that makes it feel quick where in fact it is actually the exact opposite. And it is only a short spike, like a heartbeat, there is no broad torque curve to lope along with ..... :eek:

At 80km/h in 4th (which is a sensible "normal" driving speed) a NA RAV4 or CRV will outpace a TDI Tig quite easily. Which is safer or better or MORE "driveable" ? :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Here is a direct quote from the Wheels test on the Tiguan TDI ...... "Like all diesels, the TDI gets on the case in short, sharp bursts. Wham-bam and gimme another gear. Thankfully, there’s six of ’em and the slick gearshift ensures they’re as easy to run through as you could wish."......

clip
24-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I test drove both the manual and auto diesel Tigs. The manual was awful whereas (as Sharkie has pointed out) the auto managed it much better. I've also driven a chipped Golf TDI with DSG and it was even better. But, other than fuel consumption, the "driveability" factor of any of them still wasn't up to a 125 TSI - otherwise I just might have bought one. :)

Transporter
24-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I test drove both the manual and auto diesel Tigs. The manual was awful whereas (as Sharkie has pointed out) the auto managed it much better. I've also driven a chipped Golf TDI with DSG and it was even better. But, other than fuel consumption, the "driveability" factor of any of them still wasn't up to a 125 TSI - otherwise I just might have bought one. :)
What is your fuel economy, mate? I'm a diesel man but listening you guys with 125TSI I have to take the petrol Tig for test drive before I commit to buy. :)

NZTiguan
24-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Sharkie I think it's the definition of "driving" rather than "drivability" that we differ on as I do (differ) with vehicle testers. Once again they're worried about 0 to 60 times, standing quarter times etc as you are (which is perfectly OK) BUT it's NOT what the average person buying a Tiguan is interested in. They, like me, cruise up to 110 or 120 kph without ever going over about 2200 rpm, right in the diesel's power band, and then cruise all day (or whatever) up hill and down, still in the diesel's power band. We really aren't that interested in reaching terminal velocity in under 6 seconds or whatever. We also like the fact that we can chuck a caravan on the back and the diesel hardly knows it's there, and we love the fact that we stop far less often for fuel and that (here in NZ) that fuel is way cheaper than petrol. That's why we buy diesels and that's why they're better for the job WE want them for than a high revving, high horsepower, relatively low torque (down low where it counts for us) turbo petrol engine. As I said, horses for courses and I KNOW what's better for me and those like me, while I fully appreciate that the petrol engine is better for you and the purposes and driving style you have. So, I think we're both right !! you for your purpose and me for mine.

When I was "young" I had an mg midget that was "blue printed", ported and polished, had a "lotus grind" cam, double valve springs, oversized valves and twin 1.75 SUs (all hand done by me), and was capable (electrically timed) of 112 mph which wasn't bad for those days and 1100 ccs (came out of the factory capable of 93 mph), so I'm not an old fuddy duddy who doesn't appreciate those who want to tweak their vehicles and drive them in a fashion I used to drive (by the way, yes I did race my mg on track days, plus hill-climbs etc in the mg car club). As I say, horses for courses !!

Cheers

Transporter
24-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Nicely said Derek, It reminded me the movie The Last Indian. Anyway VW sells more diesels than petrol powered cars and downsizing, not just from 6 cylinders to 4 cylinders but lowering the cubic capacity of the engines is the trend in automotive world today. :)

clip
24-09-2009, 07:12 PM
What is your fuel economy, mate?

Before I do that, it's only fair to point out my "normal/average" driving routine. 5 days a week I travel 60k's a day. 10k's of that is 100k/h highway, rest is 50/60k suburban with a few sets of lights - BUT this is not Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne congestion. It's stop start with lights etc, but that's all. Weekend driving is worse with more traffic. Do about another 40k's in that. Also need to consider that I generally drive quietly most of the time, but then I don't hesitate to use the available power when the need arises. So,

Pre and post remap weekly averages (using the car's rubbery figures):

Pre: 9.1

Post remap trip figures calculated from fuel use and kilometres (not the car's figures). Return trip from Sunshine Coast to Moree via Brisbane, Towoomba, Goondawindi, Moree, Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, Brisbane:
Averaged 8.9 :eek:

Post remap trip to Sydney including weeks driving around northern beaches area:
Averaged 9.7

If I check the car's reading when just driving around town on the weekend, the worse I've seen is 10.8

Hope this helps.

Transporter
24-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks Clip, these are really good fuel consumption results, considering the weight of the Tig and you probably don't drive always for the fuel economy:biggrin:

Sharkie
25-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Sharkie I think it's the definition of "driving" rather than "drivability" that we differ on as I do (differ) with vehicle testers. Once again they're worried about 0 to 60 times, standing quarter times etc as you are (which is perfectly OK) BUT it's NOT what the average person buying a Tiguan is interested in. They, like me, cruise up to 110 or 120 kph without ever going over about 2200 rpm, right in the diesel's power band, and then cruise all day (or whatever) up hill and down, still in the diesel's power band. We really aren't that interested in reaching terminal velocity in under 6 seconds or whatever. We also like the fact that we can chuck a caravan on the back and the diesel hardly knows it's there, and we love the fact that we stop far less often for fuel and that (here in NZ) that fuel is way cheaper than petrol. That's why we buy diesels and that's why they're better for the job WE want them for than a high revving, high horsepower, relatively low torque (down low where it counts for us) turbo petrol engine. As I said, horses for courses and I KNOW what's better for me and those like me, while I fully appreciate that the petrol engine is better for you and the purposes and driving style you have. So, I think we're both right !! you for your purpose and me for mine.

Cheers

Derek, fully agree that the petrol and diesel Tigs cater to 2 different markets, which is exactly what VW intended, and in general I quite like a diesel. As said before I have a TD DualCab 4x4 which gets a lot of weekend use. A TDI has a rightful place in the market.

BUT a TDI is NOT a performance vehicle and whenever somebody asks about performance and a recommendation and we give one that does not include the TDI we get this mantra about how much torque and "grunt" the TDI has. Which on the established facts is clearly wrong. Refer to the earlier posts that point to the performance deficiencies and the whole torque misconception. The modern petrol turbo has no less torque than the diesel and in fact delivers it over a much broader powerband than the diesel. And its economy is excellent as well though less impressive than the diesel.

So when somebody asks for recommendation and we can determine that some performance is required the TDI will not and in fact should not feature as an option. If the preference is clearly for economy then the TDI will be prominent in my recommendation.

And everytime we get a return comment that the TDI has so much more "grunt" I'll just dredge up the actual facts and figures that proves otherwise.

Its just like the auto option on the Tigs. My preference is for a manual but I'd happily recomend the Tiptronic to anybody. It is a great gbox in all respects, in fact I prefer it over a DSG. But if you want optimal performance from a Tig buy the manual.

As to fuel consumption I'm still on my 2nd tank so have no figures to give up that makes any sense.

NZTiguan
25-09-2009, 07:01 AM
For what it's worth we got 6.6l/100k (43mpg imp) on a long trip here (about 1700 k). That was mainly open road running BUT up and down the South Island of NZ including mountain crossings to and from the West Coast. I was VERY impressed with that, for comparison we averaged 9.3l/100k on the same trip with our Kia Sorento diesel a few years back. Some of the GB guys have been getting 50mpg and more on careful motorway running.

Cheers

Sharkie
25-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Off topic slightly, but on our trip to Thredbo 2 weeks ago on a 3200km round trip the RAV4 returned 8.7l/100km average........ and I drove Canberra to Brisbane (1200km) in 12 hours so I wasn't wasting time either .......

Next year I'll take the Tig and hope to better that figure.

Why did I not take the Tig? Could only fit 2/3rds of what went into the Rav into the Tig. I will have to get a rack & roofpod before next year's trip to fit all I need. But that will probably mess up the fuel figures :duh:

team_v
25-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Off topic slightly, but on our trip to Thredbo 2 weeks ago on a 3200km round trip the RAV4 returned 8.7l/100km average........ and I drove Canberra to Brisbane (1200km) in 12 hours so I wasn't wasting time either .......

Next year I'll take the Tig and hope to better that figure.

Why did I not take the Tig? Could only fit 2/3rds of what went into the Rav into the Tig. I will have to get a rack & roofpod before next year's trip to fit all I need. But that will probably mess up the fuel figures :duh:

Just slip the seats forward and fold the rears down and it should fit fine :P

I think a lot of people get stuck in the old ways that petrol was weak and diesels were strong as an ox.

With current technology petrol engines actually have a more elongated and in some cases higher torque curve than the diesel variants.

For me it comes down to purely fuel economy/maybe fuel availability (DIESEL) vs performance (PETROL)

Unfortunately, the DPF-OFF by custom code only works for FWD systems and only increases the torque levels, not the spread so it looks to remain this way.

Sharkie
25-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Just slip the seats forward and fold the rears down and it should fit fine :P

Afraid not, 2 adults and 3 kids mean no sliding of seats or fold down ....

Sharkie
25-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Also remember that anybody who "upgrades" their tyres to a larger size will see an increase in fuel consumption. (Both TDI & TSI)

Larger tyres = increased rolling resistance = more fuel used.

Optimal fuel consumption to be achieved on the 16" 215s I'm afraid.

A well run in engine with a remap (again both TDI & TSI) will return better fuel consumption in steady cruising.

team_v
25-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Afraid not, 2 adults and 3 kids mean no sliding of seats or fold down ....

Just ship the kiddies off to the grandparents/ autie & uncle's place :P

P.S. that was just a joke.

The Tig does have its shortcoming, mainly in the interior space, but it can't be everything at an entry level mini SUV.

It will be interesting to see howthe BMW X1 and Audi Q3 stack up in comparison.

Transporter
25-09-2009, 09:23 AM
To all who can't decide which Tiguan; petrol or diesel.
At least two people here NZTiguan and Sharkie posted 2 different opinions. For one of them diesel Tig has plenty of performance and it is better than petrol. For Sharkie it is strictly not enough performance, and diesel is not an option. When talking about the torque certainly the diesel have higher torque (320Nm against 280Nm) and it doesn’t matter if it is only up to 2500rpm since for normal driving that is the range where the engine will spend most of the time. The Diesel Tiguan have 280Nm torque beyond 2500 RPM. And IMO for towing diesel would be better suited than petrol.
So, there you go different people, different opinions and everyone thinks that he is right, so if there are people who prefer the diesel Tiguan rather petrol you would have to make decision based on what is best for you and decide after you road test them both.

It might be the truth that Petrol Tiguan is called the GTI of the SUV’s but keep in mind that it is a SUV and not a sports car. ;)

Sharkie
25-09-2009, 10:15 AM
To all who can't decide which Tiguan; petrol or diesel.
At least two people here NZTiguan and Sharkie posted 2 different opinions. For one of them diesel Tig has plenty of performance and it is better than petrol. For Sharkie it is strictly not enough performance, and diesel is not an option. When talking about the torque certainly the diesel have higher torque (320Nm against 280Nm) and it doesn’t matter if it is only up to 2500rpm since for normal driving that is the range where the engine will spend most of the time. The Diesel Tiguan have 280Nm torque beyond 2500 RPM. And IMO for towing diesel would be better suited than petrol.
So, there you go different people, different opinions and everyone thinks that he is right, so if there are people who prefer the diesel Tiguan rather petrol you would have to make decision based on what is best for you and decide after you road test them both.

It might be the truth that Petrol Tiguan is called the GTI of the SUV’s but keep in mind that it is a SUV and not a sports. ;)

Agreed, buy the 1 that suits your needs. Both have their strengths.

But remember that performance means just that by definition when you refer to it. Most other SUVs out there are faster than the TDI Tiguan in almost all respects (Even in overtaking). Strictly speaking this is performance. Do they "perform" better overall when judged against your own criteria as a whole? That is for you to decide.

Given that other SUVs are faster than the TDI Tiguan, would I buy 1 over a TDI? NO, I prefer the balance and overall "feel" of the Tiguan over any other SUV on the market today and would buy a TDI over any current CRV/RAV etc etc etc ...

Would I personally buy a TDI over a TSI? Never in a million years.

But, if your needs and views are different, by all means buy 1. It is the standout small SUV (as a model range) on the market today.

Sharkie
25-09-2009, 10:20 AM
The Tig does have its shortcoming, mainly in the interior space, but it can't be everything at an entry level mini SUV.

Interior space is fine, actually much better than a Mk2 RAV, but the boot space is much worse.:(

clip
25-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Just to add a bit more to this thread about which Tig variant etc. I actually think that the petrol Tigs makes great "sports" cars. People on this forum have commented: "why do performance mods on a Tig?, just buy a GTi". Well I don't actually think a golf is any more a "sports car" than the Tig is. While it's closer to it than a Tig, it's still a hatchback with upgraded suspension and turbo engine (sound familiar?). So the Tig with a few performance mods like the remap, wheels and suspension, makes perfect sense to me as it closes that gap considerably. The Tig is a very well balanced 4wd car as it is, these few mods transform that into a quick, great handling, safe and reasonably exciting car to drive that I find very comfortable and actually has some space. Not everyone wants to be squashed into a small car just to get some performance and handling. Personally, I'm 190cm and find small cars a pain in the proverbial (although I love some of them too).

So the Tig was a great option for me as the only other alternatives that offered similar performance included:

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/q7.jpg

or...

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/x548i.jpg

or...

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/cayenne.jpg

or maybe even one of these if I actually wanted go off road...

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/rangey.jpg

But the Tig is a better size for me, and with a few mods it's spot on the money and makes perfect sense. Those of you wanting something other than your run-of-the-mill SUV because you actually want what I do in your everyday car, then a slightly modded petrol Tig might be worth considering. Of course they are relatively cheap too!

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/tiguan_con.jpg

Transporter
25-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Cooool pictures. :cool:
It would be nice to drive all of them. :biggrin:

snooze
30-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Just got home from the dealer, happy to annouce we are now officially a tiguan owner, well not until it arrive but yeah we'd signed the paper.

125TSI auto White
comfort pack
off road technology
park assist
fog lamp
carpents

total to $44000 drive away
we signed for $41000 drive away

Again I would I like thank everyone for your help in answering alot of my questions, much appreciate!

clip
03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
total to $44000 drive away
we signed for $41000 drive away

Great rpice - even when you add in the APR remap, you're still in front! :banana:

jimbomort
06-11-2009, 10:23 PM

From the same Wheels Megatest ..... a quick comparison as an example ......

VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI 6spd manual 103kw/320NM@1750rmin/1630kg
0-100km/h - 10.9s
400m - 17.6s
80-120km/h in 3rd - Not possible
80-120km/h in 4th - 7.4s
80-120km/h in 5th - 8.5s
80-120km/h in 6th - 10.1s

Honda CRV Sport 6spd manual 125kw/218NM@4200rmin/1580kg
0-100km/h - 8.8s
400m - 15.8s
80-120km/h in 3rd - 5.5
80-120km/h in 4th - 6.9s
80-120km/h in 5th - 9s
80-120km/h in 6th - 10.3s

So in effect a normally aspirated 2.4l weighing almost the same and 100NM down on torque is pretty much on par in the overtaking stakes with the "grunty" TDI.......:eek: Off the line and the TDI is no match at all .....

EDIT:
I still have a 2.4 MK2 RAV4 slightly modified to produce 130kw/240NM (until the R arrives) and know that it is both quicker than the CRV and on par with my 125TSI manual off the line. In in-gear overtaking the Tig has it beat though; as brilliant as the VVTI engine is in the Rav it is no match for the petrol turbo torque across 3300rmin of the TSI ....... (and that was with my wife driving the Tig)

Sharkie agree with you that the 125 is great, I love ours and are considering a remap though it doesn't really need it. In fact I am quite disappointed that the SUV car comparisons have concentrated on the TDI and ignored the 125tsi, which bar the Forester XT and RAV4 V6, would beat the others hands down. Have been very impressed with the tractability, go and fuel economy of the 125.

What I will say though, is beware quoting wheels or other mags. I just cant see that those figs for the CRV are correct. If you look at that article 15.8 for the CRV makes no sense, wrong figs or a misprint or something, and 0-100 wasn't 8.8 they had it as 7.8. Given the weight, power and torque of the CRV it just aint going to do what they published. They also mentioned that the overlander was just a bit quicker than the CRV or words to effect and yet they published its figs as 16.6 for the quarter. I'd say the CRV was more like 16.8.

Anyway it doesn't really matter, just be wary/do the reality check