PDA

View Full Version : I hate Golfloon

sports racer
17-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Geezus there's some people in the world who can be a pain!

I picked up my 96 Polo from Matt yesterday after getting him to try to fit a 1.8 Cordoba motor, gearbox and subframe. After 2 weeks on the hoist and a million measurements it just wouldn't fit so Matt rebuild the Polo gearbox with a nice close ratio selection which suits the car much better than the original overdrive gearbox. Thanks Matt.

Now here's the problem and it's going to be a painful one.

Parked outside his workshop were 2 Ibiza GTI's. We got talking and now I have to get one of these. I can't get one until my house purchase goes through late this year/ early next year so in the mean time I have to put up with my 55Kw Polo. I drive 180 ks a day from Braidwood to Canberra and back and every hill will remind me how much better the drive would be with a 2.0 8v.

So thanks to Matt not only is my bank balance going to take a hit next year but between now and then I'm going to be dreaming of how good the daily drive could be!

Plus there's big wheels, performance mods, suspension changes, decent stereo and upgraded brakes to be added to my shopping list.

I hate you Matt............:blowtorch:

mikinoz
17-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah, word is that he is a tease.

I understand your pain, I'd hate to drive a Polo too! :D

Arctra
17-09-2009, 01:21 PM
:icon27::icon_lol:

BRILLIANT! :appl:

I'll be honest mate. I'd locked 'n loaded the infraction gun when I saw the title and was ready to blow you away with it! :negev:

But this post has made my day. You must be proud of what you've done Matt!

velly_16v_cab
17-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Great thread......but wait till you drive a 16v :muscle:

evorobin
17-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Once the GTI bug bites huh :cool:

Vellies right you'll buy an 8v then matt'll lend you a valver...

I was just driving home thinking we haven't had an 8v versus 16v thread for the longest. ClubGTI is famous I think one went for 33 pages lol

velly_16v_cab
17-09-2009, 03:13 PM
because no one here have got 16v's and mk2 8v's are slow :P

thestu
17-09-2009, 03:22 PM
theres always another argument right around the corner ey :P

Golf Loon
17-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I also opened this thread ready for an online brawl. Glad you are happy with the box Paul. Its a closely guarded secret wahat the ratios are, but I can build more if there are any more polos out there :)

It spun me out that the polo has the same bonnet and dash as the Ibiza, but is skinnier and has no front subframe. I dont like being beaten by cars, but when the engine wont fit without a grinder, what can you do?

Yes the Ibiza GTI is the best hot hatch that no-one has ever heard of and yes I prefer the 8v as you can rev it to 7k all day and go flat out everywhere and not go that fast :)

sports racer
17-09-2009, 04:25 PM
The ratios on the box are magic. With the old box you couldn't keep it in 5th when you got to the hills because it didn't have the torque to handle the overdrive ratio. With the gearing you've used I can accelerate faster than before and cruse the open road between Canberra and Braidwood (including hills) leaving the car in 5th.

But a 8v Ibiza GTI would be the best for my daily drive. Lots of torque where it's useful for hills and overtaking. Who needs (or wants) a 16v.........there's no German freeway between Braidwood and Canberra.

Cheers

Paul

Preen59
17-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Once the GTI bug bites huh :cool:

Vellies right you'll buy an 8v then matt'll lend you a valver...

I was just driving home thinking we haven't had an 8v versus 16v thread for the longest. ClubGTI is famous I think one went for 33 pages lol

Great thread......but wait till you drive a 16v :muscle:

because no one here have got 16v's and mk2 8v's are slow :P

16v's are better. Period. :cool:

Who needs (or wants) a 16v.........there's no German freeway between Braidwood and Canberra.

I'll let Velly break out the big secret of the 16v over the 8v.. :)

velly_16v_cab
17-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I'll let Velly break out the big secret of the 16v over the 8v.. :)

dont listen to me....i am "all torque" :emo_baghead::P

Preen59
17-09-2009, 05:45 PM
dont listen to me....i am "all torque" :emo_baghead::P

Hahahahahahaha. Yes my point exactly. :rolleyes:

evorobin
17-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I'll fess up I was looking for the comparison graph people always roll out which shows the valver making more power EVERYWHERE rendering the 8v has more down low redundant.

I remember after we got the valver in mine the exact moment I opened the taps. Cheers Gavin :cool:

Saying that the 8v is actually the better engine giving performance and economy. SEAT 2l has good torque whereas the g/box & heavy flywheel wreck the Cupra 16v...

Golf Loon
17-09-2009, 09:00 PM
the 8v is actually the better engine giving performance and economy. SEAT 2l has good torque whereas the g/box & heavy flywheel wreck the Cupra 16v...

The mist sensible and true thing I have read on here tonight. Another evorobin quote :)

leo46
22-09-2009, 04:42 AM
I own a GTi and i always read about this battle! i am looking at buying another car (probably Seat) and i would like to know do all the australian cupras have the 16v in them? I would also like to know what is bad about cupra gearbox? Is it a ratio thing or is there someway i can fix it? The flywheel can be lightened but what do i do to the gearbox?

Cupra
22-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I to would like to know what's wrong with the gearbox?????????? I've had mine since new.....I guess ignorance is bliss.

Phil

Golf Houso
22-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I to would like to know what's wrong with the gearbox?????????? I've had mine since new.....I guess ignorance is bliss.

Phil

Isn't it the ratio's of the O2A being a tad too long? Its pretty good in my VR6 but then that does have a very fresh motor in it...

Cupra
22-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Isn't it the ratio's of the O2A being a tad too long? Its pretty good in my VR6 but then that does have a very fresh motor in it...

Ah, ok that makes a bit of sense. I've seen others suggest that the cupra makes a better highway cruiser & the gti a better point & squirt car.

I know that getting mine of the line quickly is a fine balancing act with revs, but once its moving & you bury the right foot it just hammers through to the limiter :cool:

I do use mine as a daily driver & it seems to handle the taller gears with low revs without any problems.

Phil

oracle1
22-09-2009, 03:46 PM
So thanks to Matt not only is my bank balance going to take a hit[/FONT][/COLOR]

I hate you Matt............:blowtorch:

I don't hate Matt, but my wife does, I just don't understand it, he's always so polite. She's never even spoken to him or seen him but every time he sends us a letter she throws it in the bin?:rolleyes:

sports racer
22-09-2009, 05:30 PM
My wife has no problems with Matt but she keeps getting confused. No matter how many times I say he's not in the computer industry she reminds me that she's going to give him mouse balls when she sees him.