PDA

View Full Version : F1: Controversial! Renault effectively admits guilt!

Arctra
17-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I am absolutely floored by this!

From F1-Live.com (http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090916164243.shtml):

The media read between the lines of Renault's short media statement issued today which announced that the bosses Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds had left the team and that Renault would not dispute allegations they conspired with Nelson Piquet to rig the outcome of the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix by faking an accident.

The German press agency DPA said the team had "effectively admitted to race-fixing" ahead of the September 21 hearing of the World Motor Sport Council who have the powers to impose a range of penalties, from fines to permanent exclusion.

<snip>

There are also other ramifications to consider, such as Briatore's co-ownership with Bernie Ecclestone of the London football club Queens Park Rangers, and - depending on the carmaker's reaction or the WMSC sanction - Renault's significant role in GP2 and other motor racing categories.

Former team boss and owner Eddie Jordan told the BBC: "Will the FA (Football Association) allow him to continue to run a club?"

"As a normal person on the street I think this is a clear-cut admission and I am surprised," he added, explaining that after decades in motor racing, he "can't comprehend" ordering a driver to crash.

Do you think the World Motor Sport Council will go easy on Renault for effectively admitting guilt?

jasn78
17-09-2009, 11:50 AM
basing off what mclaren copped as a penalty for spying there will be more than just their balls on the line from this.

jasn78
17-09-2009, 11:52 AM
btw mate ur link didnt work

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090916131922.shtml

Arctra
17-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks, I've fixed the link.

So what do you reckon they'll get? Kicked out for this season? Next season? A fine? Will Alonso get away scott-free?

jasn78
17-09-2009, 12:02 PM
i missed the sg race last yr mate so im not sure what alonso's role etc is but surely its got to be at least a ban from competition for that. If a footballer gets found guilty of this they cop a long suspension so I cant see anything less than that occuring. Btw i mean that for Renault themselves not Alonso

gtimk5
17-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I predict that Renault will pull out of F1.
Years ago the Toyota rally team was found guilty of cheating with their engines and were exluded from the WRC for 12 months.
If you were Nelson Piquet jr. and you were told crash, would you do it?? If he had gone against the team rules and held a press conference immediately after the race announcing his instructions the outcome for him may have been different. Either way his career is gone. I am not blaming him, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I wonder how much race/championship fixing was going on at Adelaide when Schumacher drove in Mansell on purpose? Might have been Hill, either way, it was blatant.

sir_camel
17-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I am shocked by this. At first i thought it was PQ getting some major sour grapes on after a nasty split with the team mid season.

Also you have to ask why would Renault do this in the first place? No where near being championship contenders last year were they? I know a win is a win but pretty poor form and a MASSIVE risk. They must have known PQ could say this after booting him from the team too.

Eagerly waiting for the 21st Sept findings.

gtimk5
17-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Flavio was Schumachers boss/manager when he crashed into the other car at Adelaide by the way......

jasn78
17-09-2009, 01:37 PM
yeha but gti im pretty sure that incident was just schuey being scheuy rather than management orders, i think it was michael trying to win at all costs rather than purposfully rig a races results

gtimk5
17-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I am probably reading into that Jas but those antics stick in your mind.
Schuwy was known to run into people to defend titles occasionally.

Still, back on topic, it will be interesting to see the outcome of all this latest
F1 saga.

FJ Steve
17-09-2009, 01:50 PM
yeha but gti im pretty sure that incident was just schuey being scheuy rather than management orders, i think it was michael trying to win at all costs rather than purposfully rig a races resultsyou just keep on dreaming about MS being the all conquering clean as a whistle driver. No problems. :P

I saw a documentary the other week on the history of Flavio B. Talk about Mafia boss. That guy is as sneaky as Pedo Bear on a choir boys outing. He has been involved in more shaky deals and skulduggery than Christopher Skase. In fact he makes Skase look like a kindergarten bully.

I don't know why Alonso would be punished...unless it can be proven that he had an involvement in the deal (prior to the crash). As for Renault...no big issue, there is another 3 teams being welcomed into F1 next year...Bernie has a full grid and a full pocket, he isn't worried.

jasn78
17-09-2009, 02:16 PM
steve im not saying he was clean all im saying is what he did is completly different to rigging a race based on orders from management by crashing ur own car on purpose.

To me this is a huge difference in scenarios and what the response should be from the governing body

FJ Steve
17-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Google Prost vs Schumacher Japan

Tell me what you think of MS's driving then

*edit*...apologies. It was Senna vs Prost ... 1989 Suzuka

Still hold the opinion that MS wasn't the "cleanest" driver out there.

No457 Snowy
18-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I get the feeling that NPJ has sadly allowed himself to be used as a puppet by Briatore (and Symonds). I think that by pulling this stunt, NPJ thought he might gain the favor of the Renault bosses and it looks to be the act of a desperate man who thought he was soon to be rissoled from the team for not driving up to par at that level, and not getting enough points for the team. If this little stunt had flown, he probably thought he could get into the good books would get re-signed.

Apparently Briatore had it in for NPJ anyway and had previously alluded to NPJ that his contract going to be terminated. How could you trust Briatore, after coming up with this scam, the first thing he said after the crash on the team radio was something like "F#$k he's not a driver". So it was all in vain for NPJ anyway, Briatore was going to burn him either way.

A very poor display of character from all parties involved.

Alonso says he knew nothing of the whole plan, but I wonder why he apparently didn't even question such an unusual fuel strategy (only enough for 14 laps), allowing his lighter car to outpace the heavier fueled-up cars, then the early fuel stop, and then the perfectly timed incident involving his team-mate and the heaven-sent Safety Car.

gtimk5
22-09-2009, 07:50 AM
All done and dusted!! Nice and quick and Renault come out looking pretty sweet.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9953.html

Arctra
22-09-2009, 08:27 AM
All done and dusted!! Nice and quick and Renault come out looking pretty sweet.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9953.html

Pretty sweet? They dodged a bullet big-time!

Renault received a permanent disqualification from the sport, but this is suspended until the end of 2011.

I can only assume this means that they wrap the team up over the next 2 years.... which there was rumour it was probably what they were considering doing anyway.

Will be interesting to see the washup on this. I'm predicting Nissan all of a sudden become an engine supplier in 2011, thanks to the Renault-Nissan marriage and background transfers of intellectual property.

team_v
22-09-2009, 08:42 AM
With BMW pulling out and Now this, i think we will see the F1 die off and a new form of less restricted motorsport come out.

The same thing is happening in the rally circles.
Everyone is pulling out and i think we will see a new breed of rally pop up.

gtimk5
22-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Clearing this mess up of Flavios just leaves the door open for the next ridiculous controversy.
You couldnt think up and write a book on whats happened in F1 over the last 2 years, starting with Mosleys after hours antics. A new underdog team leading the championship, the reigning champion languishing near the bottom of the points ladder, Prodrive being told that they cant enter the championship (dont know if this has been turned around) and Maclaren getting done for spying ect. ect.
At least it livens up what was a very boring class of racing for me, I actually watch the races a bit these days....

gareth_oau
22-09-2009, 10:57 AM
With BMW pulling out and Now this, i think we will see the F1 die off and a new form of less restricted motorsport come out.

The same thing is happening in the rally circles.
Everyone is pulling out and i think we will see a new breed of rally pop up.

not necessarily, last week Lotus announced the will be competing in F1 next year, with engines by Cosworth.

I dont think its the restrictions that causing problems its the blatant cheating.

Of course I'm still waiting for Audi/Porsche/VW to announce their F1 arrival!!!

static1800
22-09-2009, 10:58 AM
So basically they are banned for two years? deserves them right. It's not the first time Flavio has done something like this to win a race or championship.

Plenty of new teams wanting to come in to take their spot.

Piquet was a dud anyway, was in his contract to score half the points of Alonso. Zero points is not half of anything though, so he got the chop.

Alonso is going to Ferrari it seems so he is covered, they are a big team with lots of employee's though so that sucks.

gtimk5
22-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Suspended 2 year ban Static, do no wrong and they stay on the grid.

team_v
22-09-2009, 11:09 AM
not necessarily, last week Lotus announced the will be competing in F1 next year, with engines by Cosworth.

I dont think its the restrictions that causing problems its the blatant cheating.

Of course I'm still waiting for Audi/Porsche/VW to announce their F1 arrival!!!

I realise that lotus is competing in the F1 next year to fill the gap left by BMW.
However if there were less restrictions on the sport, it would mean there would be less cheating assumably as you would have more vaiation and wouldn't need to cheat to beet someone with the same specs as you.

Just my opinion though, it may hold out and continue but i just don't see it happening.

Treza360
22-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Interesting to note that there might have been a much better chance of Massa taking the championship last year if Renault hadn't done what they did.
Cheers,
Trent

Arctra
22-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Interesting to note that there might have been a much better chance of Massa taking the championship last year if Renault hadn't done what they did.
Cheers,
Trent

Yeah, given that Hamilton only got 1 point on him to get the championship. Lewis is defending his title saying he deserved it though. You can't say Massa would have won though... Butterfly Effect and all. Just a pity this happened.

Interestingly, Webber is managed by Flavio in some way I believe, so will have to get a new management group for next season if he wants to retain his drive.

gareth_oau
22-09-2009, 01:31 PM
i think cheating will always exist, its just a function of how good your are at hiding it.

a few years ago, traction control was banned, but it was strongly rumoured that some teams were still using it.

fingers crossed it will just be another (big) storm in a teacup and F1 will live on