PDA

View Full Version : Mk6 GTI sticker shock

nyc863
16-09-2009, 01:35 PM
presented without comment except for .. thanks for the floor mats and fuel guys ..

http://209.123.109.176/pic5.jpg

Mr Messy
16-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Wooooooah!

You could have his and hers matching MK5 GTIs for that. And they're not very different to the VI!

That's bonkers money, considering people were getting MK5GTIs run out (non 'relli) for well under 50k.

mikinoz
16-09-2009, 01:45 PM
mmm. Sometimes I wonder why people buy a 40K car and add 12-15K of options. There are better specc'd cars out there for 65K from the other manufacturers if you want to have those features.

No, they won't add to your resale either. I would suggest you re-evaluate what you are really wanting, as you can probably get a low spec S3 for that money.

Good luck with your decision making. Try to get it through a broker that can get you fleet price and that will bring it under the LCT price.

gtimk5
16-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Thats not a lot dearer than the Mk5 was. I paid around $41500 on the road for mine. I didnt go with all the extra accesories though the person that I was with ordered her GTI at the same time as me with DSG and sunroof and cost her approx $48500.
All depends on if you want to pay premium prices for the factory items.
Andrew

limmy
16-09-2009, 02:03 PM
personally, for that $$$ i would wait for the R. even if i had to wait 18 mths before getting it.

MACCAA
16-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I bought a brand new,limited edition Audi S3 with Recaros,sunroof etc etc for $65k on the road.....

nyc863
16-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I didn't pick all options
eg tps and metallic paint :)

but I am getting a stripper quote now didn't want satnav, but do want aux in and nice sound, and can do without park assist and 18 inch rims and reluctantly, sunroof..

winter pack is hard to lose love heated seats :( and use them 33pc of the year even in Sydney!

USA market offers almost no options except sunroof and satnav all this stuff is in there..

I assume demanding a cut in dealer delivery fee is hopeless?

Mr Messy
16-09-2009, 02:15 PM
$65K and the car doesn't have leather or DSG (not essentials, but they could add another $5k to the price)
That's very expensive. You could get a BMW 135i for the proce of a fulli specced GTI.

However, if I were speccing a MKVI GTI, I'd want most of those things too.

STV4SYT
16-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Wow, thats crazy money.

Still a few Pirelli's floating around that are good value, cant customize them apart from satnav and most have parking sensors.

Tim
16-09-2009, 02:37 PM
the ex GST prices on the car and some of the options seem to be similar to the inc GST prices on the MKV model. Has everything gone up by almost 10% ?

Id be interested to see the onroad cost of a base model.

gtimk5
16-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I noticed that there is a luxury car tax on it as well...

nyc863
16-09-2009, 02:46 PM
$65K and the car doesn't have leather or DSG (not essentials, but they could add another $5k to the price) \.

I did specify DSG, hope they got that part right! but yeah, no leather..

My stripper model quote came in & came under LCT .. and total was $51,216 and a cent.

Nothing except park assist and ACT: no nice audio, no nav, no winter pack (headlight washers, bi-xenons, heated seats etc), no sunroof,

And by the way the aussie brochure sucks. Totally confusing random display of non optional and optional features.

Pharkus
16-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow...seems very expensive, why don't you just go the S3 limited edition as suggested (bout the same as what you are looking at here and a much better car imho).

If you can cut the price back on options by about $5k, you will save on the $1.1k luxury car tax (LCT) you are currently having the privilige of paying at the moment. The LCT adds nothing to the resale value of your car.

You can look at it like, for every one of those options that puts the GST inclusive price of your car over $57,180 it will cost you an additional 33% (excl GST).

team_v
16-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Jesus christ, i almost had a coronary when i saw the final price.

I would seriously reconsider what you want for that price.
You could get 2 XR6 falcons, drive away for less.

Best bet is to wait, either pick one up after they have sold a few or get a mkV GTI/R32 or A3/S3 as they are older and more available.

windyzz
16-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Phewww lucky I did not take the Mk6 GTI 5 door + DSG + some of the option.

You will be better off waiting for 6-12 month time (you can bargain your ass off), or get MK V GTI with a bit lesser power but MUCH Cheaper, or you can even get R32 (Slightly faster, almost as well equiped, or Audi S3 3 door).

T Go
16-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Im assuming thats a 5dr as well??

I thought/read that ACC and 18's were standard on AUS models???

Sharkie
16-09-2009, 03:15 PM
VWA decides when a car is elligible for the Corporate Program and in the 1st 12 months its unlikely that there will be any (including corporate) discounts on the MK6 GTI.

The Tiguan for instance did not get corporate discount for the 1st 12 months.

Whilst demand is high there will be no negotiation or discounts .... :mad:

If you are on the waiting list and get your car soon, you may even be able to sell it at a profit ..... I know of a few people who did that with their Mk5s in the early days and made an easy $5-10K out of others that wanted to get in early. And thats on top of the RRP. Even early dealer demo's where $10K more than RRP (including options)

Bottom line ... you want a MK6 GTI, be prepared to be milked (painfully) by VWA .... :brutal:

nyc863
16-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Wow...seems very expensive, why don't you just go the S3 limited edition as suggested (bout the same as what you are looking at here and a much better car imho).
Everything I read says the GTI is a better drivers car than an S3. It is pretty close to a track hot hatch, but very civilized. The S3 (like S4 and S5) is a civilized car with some sporting pretensions.

maybe I should just get a MkV GTI then throw the ABT or APR catalog at it.

team_v
16-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Everything I read says the GTI is a better drivers car than an S3. It is pretty close to a track hot hatch, but very civilized. The S3 (like S4 and S5) is a civilized car with some sporting pretensions.

maybe I should just get a MkV GTI then throw the ABT or APR catalog at it.

I would go so far as to say the S3 is more of a track going vehicle than the GTI purely becasue of the AWD and greater power.

The GTI is now watered down to a fun comfy and quick get around car.
But if you are paying more, why not get the car that is more fun to drive?

I would line up with the Mk5 + APR deal if you are going to go for performance.
Plus they have the stage 3 kit now which has huge gains.

nyc863
16-09-2009, 04:06 PM
it isn't about power and grip, it is about fun. that is why the MX5 is still winning comparisons and the Cayman S is rated more of a drivers car than a 911.

I'm sure the Mk6 GTI is noticeably better than the Mk5 GTI, not on paper, but behind the wheel.

more from the dealer: you can get park sensors dealer fitted, not the expensive park assist, you can also get xenons as a split option, but heat only with the leather seats. I might yet work out a combo here ..

I've a low mileage comfortline dsg tdi to sell. are they easy to shift privately? 20k?

Pharkus
16-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Up to you ultimately. For the price they are quoting, apples to apples, you could nab yourself a Pirelli (if there are any left) and mod it like the yellow one on the MkV forums (very nicely done).

End of the day, it'll be your car to live with. Good luck with the puchase and we'll wait for the pics when you do get it. =)

Lima
16-09-2009, 04:26 PM
mmm. Sometimes I wonder why people buy a 40K car and add 12-15K of options...

Yeah, much better to do that to a 65K car, haha. :banana:

Lucky Audi dealers play ball. Not sure there'll be quite so much joy from VW dealers to start with.

Lima
16-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Everything I read says the GTI is a better drivers car than an S3...

Let me remedy that for you, haha.

All IMO, of course ... our S3 is a better drivers car than our Mk5 GTI, simply because it is quicker, and because it can be pushed into corners much harder than the GTI can.

Also, IMO, a GTI in stock trim can be found wanting in terms of dealing with the power at hand. It doesn't take much to find the limits of adhesion, much less one with an aftermarket tune. Sure, this can add to the driving experience, by needing to modulate throttle inputs to remain within those limits. But there's no such problems with the S3.

The GTI does have a smoother feeling engine and it does feel more urgent below 3000rpm.

The S3 has a more compliant ride around town and better suspension and steering feel when you start to get serious. (Note, our GTI has aftermarket 18" alloys, but I would still make the same claim when remembering what the GTI was like with its standard 17" wheels.)

Naturally, it depends on how you yourself define drivers car, but I know if a twisty road beckons there's only one car from our garage I would prefer to take, and as good as it is, it won't be the GTI. But, for an extra 20K+ the S3 should damn well be better, too!

T Go
16-09-2009, 04:41 PM
...soooooo back on topic....

is ACC an option or standard?

Luxury tax only gets heaped on cars above $55k right?
So if you don't option it up like a crazy man/woman, you shouldn't run into this....

nyc863
16-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Naturally, it depends on how you yourself define drivers car, but I know if a twisty road beckons there's only one car from our garage I would prefer to take, and as good as it is, it won't be the GTI. But, for an extra 20K+ the S3 should damn well be better, too!

glad you like your S3, but the relationship between driving fun and extra cost is definitely nearly random. I know Clarkson has a huge ego and loves the sound of his own metaphors, but he didn't like the woolly nature of the S3, preferring "any other car" for the money, whereas he just rated the latest MX-5 21 stars out of 5 saying it was as much fun as a ferrari.
That is my kind of drivers car definition .. I'll see your taillights disappear but I suspect my preferred car will be more entertaining. I owned an RS6 and it was monstrous, as it should for the premium, but dull. The only Audis I can get excited about now is the old RS4 and the R8.

Guess I need to go drive the Mk6 GTI before I stick up for it too much, though. But I like the euro reviews. They say all the right things.

example:

I could go on for paragraphs about the way this GTI rides as well as it handles or how its new electronic limited-slip differential saw me tear through corners quicker than I’ve ever done, even behind the wheel of more expensive sports cars. But none of that is necessary.All you need to know is that at this moment and without a doubt, the new GTI is the definitive performance hatch, certainly not the beefiest, but by far the most rewarding to drive

nyc863
16-09-2009, 04:57 PM
...soooooo back on topic....

is ACC an option or standard?

Luxury tax only gets heaped on cars above $55k right?
So if you don't option it up like a crazy man/woman, you shouldn't run into this....

ACC is an option. I think it would be silly to get a GTI without it though.

Luxury tax: yes, hold back on the options to escape paying it.

Lima
16-09-2009, 05:07 PM
glad you like your S3, but the relationship between driving fun and extra cost is definitely nearly random. I know Clarkson has a huge ego and loves the sound of his own metaphors, but he didn't like the woolly nature of the S3, preferring "any other car" for the money, whereas he just rated the latest MX-5 21 stars out of 5 saying it was as much fun as a ferrari.
That is my kind of drivers car definition .. I'll see your taillights disappear but I suspect my preferred car will be more entertaining. I owned an RS6 and it was monstrous, as it should for the premium, but dull. The only Audis I can get excited about now is the old RS4 and the R8.

Guess I need to go drive the Mk6 GTI before I stick up for it too much, though. But I like the euro reviews. They say all the right things.

Yep, I'm with you there and definitely understand it's not all about outright pace. I drove a MINI Cooper S for 5 years, which was rapid enough, sure, but there's plenty of faster cars out there. Not many are as fun to drive though.

For me, that's still the point, I find the S3 more fun than our GTI. But, I do understand the dollar per entertainment value and, for me, the only time the S3 really cuts the mustard for its extra cost is when you're on a mountain pass having a red hot go. Then the extra money makes sense, all other times, not so much.

And as much as I am loving the S3, there's plenty of times I miss the MINI. However, as an overall package, I know I've made the right choice.

If the Mk6 GTI was available when I was doing the deal on the S3, I would have given that a serious look, don't worry about that.

Haha, apologies for the rambling, I just wanted to put forward one opposing view about the S3 v GTI.

:banana:

Cheers
Liam

walbjj
16-09-2009, 05:47 PM
wow, unless ur dead set on buying a new car, why would u let urself get raped like that.
as mentioned, plenty of r32, pirelli gtis and standard gti avail. in fact, there is a 400hp apr mk5 gti fs in qld from harding performance i believe, and thats $50k out the door, even less without some of the stuff.

i would never buy a car brand new again. the amount u lose straight off the bat is eye watering. sure, i dont have the satisfaction of owning a new car, but ive been there, that feeling passes when i see tens of thousands of dollars evaporate literally straight away

dodgey
16-09-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't think that price is that far off the first year (2005) MkV GTI price, maybe a touch higher in parts.

We are talking full retail pricing here, right, rather than negotiated pricing (which would be minimal in the first year anyway)

Pharkus
16-09-2009, 06:34 PM
LCT applies to the excess (excl GST) at 33% over the LCT threshhold of $57,180 last I checked. You will want to make sure of that yourself.

Pretty sure you can't dodge it by adding options up to the limit then adding the options after you have bought the car.

G-rig
16-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Congrats, one of the first ordered?

No, they won't add to your resale either. I would suggest you re-evaluate what you are really wanting, as you can probably get a low spec S3 for that money.

Yeah and not much of a discount now i'm guessing. Too many options are like pissing into the wind and come time to sell you don't get much back.. but depends how long you intend to keep it and enjoy it.

the ex GST prices on the car and some of the options seem to be similar to the inc GST prices on the MKV model. Has everything gone up by almost 10% ?

Id be interested to see the onroad cost of a base model.

I thought these were meant to be cheaper, with a faster production time (which is apparent by the interior)..?

Let me remedy that for you, haha.

All IMO, of course ... our S3 is a better drivers car than our Mk5 GTI, simply because it is quicker, and because it can be pushed into corners much harder than the GTI can.

Also, IMO, a GTI in stock trim can be found wanting in terms of dealing with the power at hand. It doesn't take much to find the limits of adhesion, much less one with an aftermarket tune. Sure, this can add to the driving experience, by needing to modulate throttle inputs to remain within those limits. But there's no such problems with the S3.

The GTI does have a smoother feeling engine and it does feel more urgent below 3000rpm.

The S3 has a more compliant ride around town and better suspension and steering feel when you start to get serious. (Note, our GTI has aftermarket 18" alloys, but I would still make the same claim when remembering what the GTI was like with its standard 17" wheels.)

You forgot to mention the obvious, AWD.. I think it's silly to say a GTI would be better than an S3..

scotty1991
16-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Id buy this... Price is delivered to my door with fuel

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/250mtee-1.jpg

SmutsGTI
16-09-2009, 09:07 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27827497@N08/3925892696/sizes/l/

Bad pic i know, this was parked in the VW Aus Carpark today and i saw it last week cruising around Maroubra beach. I won't be getting rid of the Mark V any time soon it was boring to look at.

Smuts

SmutsGTI
16-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I'll take a real camera tomorrow night

tinto
16-09-2009, 10:08 PM
personally, for that $$$ i would wait for the R. even if i had to wait 18 mths before getting it.

Yes, that is likely to be much cheaper ;)

Spook
16-09-2009, 11:18 PM
For those of us who like to work out option prices, just add in the 10% GST to see the RRP. Based on prices posted by the OP:

GTI DSG (non-metallic)..... $42,990
Park Assist...................... $1,400
ACC............................... $1,500
Sunroof.......................... $1,900
Bi-Xenon........................ $2,000
Sat Nav (RNS510)............ $2,500
Dynaudio........................ $1,800
Premium bluetooth........... $1,390
Rear view camera............ $700
18" alloys....................... $2,000
Dealer delivery................ $2,995

DEEJ
16-09-2009, 11:18 PM
65k is nuts! :eek:

I bought my car when it was less than a yr old for a steal. The poor sod before me had ticked every option and even got extra 18" wheels. He also took an almost 20k depreciation hit for me :D

ox518
16-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Without first line, I would think this is R20 price......

pologti18t
16-09-2009, 11:41 PM
For those of us who like to work out option prices, just add in the 10% GST to see the RRP. Based on prices posted by the OP:

GTI DSG (non-metallic)..... $42,990
Park Assist...................... $1,400
ACC............................... $1,500
Sunroof.......................... $1,900
Bi-Xenon........................ $2,000
Sat Nav (RNS510)............ $2,500
Dynaudio........................ $1,800
Premium bluetooth........... $1,390
Rear view camera............ $700
18" alloys....................... $2,000
Dealer delivery................ $2,995

Isnt that much the same pricing as the MKV GTI?

Tim
17-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Isnt that much the same pricing as the MKV GTI?

The previous model 5 door was 40k inc GST and the 3 door was 38.5k inc GST. I think dsg was a 2k option wasnt it? so that would be 42k inc GST for a 4 door DSG plus onroads. The price above seems to indicate 43k ex GST

ricksterrr
17-09-2009, 12:08 PM
The previous model 5 door was 40k inc GST and the 3 door was 38.5k inc GST. I think dsg was a 2k option wasnt it? so that would be 42k inc GST for a 4 door DSG plus onroads. The price above seems to indicate 43k ex GST

Actually the prices are the same as the Mk5 if they turn out to be accurate. Considering that the early Australian reviews of the Mk6 were expecting a $1-2k price increase over the Mk5 RRP, it's good news (thanks to the strength of the Aussie dollar lately I guess).

Of course there may be a chance that the dealership was just guesstimating what the prices will be based on the current Mk5 RRP.

But yes, picking options will inflate the price very quickly.

Here are the original MkV RRPs before VW removed them from their website

Models
Golf GTI 3 Door 6 Speed Manual $38,990
Golf GTI 3 Door 6 Speed DSG $41,490
Golf GTI 5 Door 6 Speed Manual $40,490
Golf GTI 5 Door 6 Speed DSG $42,990

Options
Metallic / Pearl Effect Paint (standard GTI Pirelli & R32) $700
Electric Glass Sunroof (excludes GTI Pirelli & R32) $1,900
Electric Glass Sunroof - R32 $2,000
Satellite Navigation RNS510 - GTI, GTI Pirelli & R32 $2,500
CD Changer (with RNS510) $850
Bi-Xenon Headlights - GTI & GTI Pirelli $1,900
Leather Upholstery - GTI $3,000
Recaro Front Seats - R32 $4,000
Electrically adjustable driver's seat - R32 5 Door $900
Parking Distance Sensors, rear $800

Tim
17-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Actually the prices are the same as the Mk5 if they turn out to be accurate. Considering that the early Australian reviews of the Mk6 were expecting a $1-2k price increase over the Mk5 RRP, it's good news (thanks to the strength of the Aussie dollar lately I guess).

Of course there may be a chance that the dealership was just guesstimating what the prices will be based on the current Mk5 RRP.

But yes, picking options will inflate the price very quickly.

Here are the original MkV RRPs before VW removed them from their website

Models
Golf GTI 3 Door 6 Speed Manual $38,990
Golf GTI 3 Door 6 Speed DSG $41,490
Golf GTI 5 Door 6 Speed Manual $40,490
Golf GTI 5 Door 6 Speed DSG $42,990

Options
Metallic / Pearl Effect Paint (standard GTI Pirelli & R32) $700
Electric Glass Sunroof (excludes GTI Pirelli & R32) $1,900
Electric Glass Sunroof - R32 $2,000
Satellite Navigation RNS510 - GTI, GTI Pirelli & R32 $2,500
CD Changer (with RNS510) $850
Bi-Xenon Headlights - GTI & GTI Pirelli $1,900
Leather Upholstery - GTI $3,000
Recaro Front Seats - R32 $4,000
Electrically adjustable driver's seat - R32 5 Door $900
Parking Distance Sensors, rear $800

My point was that those mkv prices were INCLUDING GST. Whereas with this quote GST has been added on top of the price. Im hoping its just an error.

G-rig
17-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I thought the mk6 were meant to be cheaper to build but obviously vw thought 'F it' an charge more anyway. The interior doesn't seem as good from what I've seen.

aeon
17-09-2009, 01:48 PM
My point was that those mkv prices were INCLUDING GST. Whereas with this quote GST has been added on top of the price. Im hoping its just an error.

The Vehicle price in the first post is 39081.82.

Plus 10% GST = $42,990.

And as per the original posters later comment, this was supposed to be for a DSG model.

tofo17
17-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I thought the mk6 were meant to be cheaper to build but obviously vw thought 'F it' an charge more anyway. The interior doesn't seem as good from what I've seen.

I think the point was the margins on the mkV weren't great/sustainable, so bringing in the mkVI with cheaper production cost was always about improved margins, not decreased price.

I haven't seen a mk6 GTI but for the other models the interior is one of the key areas that has been improved. Certainly compared to my MkV Jetta the MkVI is a step up for interior quality.

limmy
17-09-2009, 02:12 PM
the standard mk6 build quality is impressive. certainly quieter and more solid than when i bought the mk5 gti new. my mk4 had better build quality than the mk5!

think this is where the 3dr mk5 owners are lucky having german builds. if someone asked me...he's a mk6 gti built in saffas or you can have this one built in deutschland for an extra $2k...i would go the latter.

i can't see the mk6 gti having as much hype and demand as the mk5 did, and not everyone who owns a mk5 gti is going to be in a position to switch over. the fragile economy and uncertainties in job security would have some effect on buying process.

plus given the impending golf R...no doubt it will attract a fair amount of existing mkV GTI owners to hang onto their rides and wait for its release... i speak on behalf of myself and 3 other mates (who aren't even forum members).

Tim
17-09-2009, 02:17 PM
The Vehicle price in the first post is 39081.82.

Plus 10% GST = $42,990.

And as per the original posters later comment, this was supposed to be for a DSG model.

doh! If only I could read :P

Lukey13
20-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Anyone know how much it'll be for the following car (with "corporate" discount if they will do it on the Mk VI):

Mk VI Golf GTI
2 door
Manual
Leather
18" wheels

Just tossing up between this car and a Mk V GTI Pirelli, 2 door.

Either car would most likely end up being chipped.

Also considering a brand new MY09 R32. The engine and exhaust notes are absolutely delicious and can't be compared to much else.

Blitzen
20-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Anyone know how much it'll be for the following car (with "corporate" discount if they will do it on the Mk VI):

Mk VI Golf GTI
2 door
Manual
Leather
18" wheels

Just tossing up between this car and a Mk V GTI Pirelli, 2 door.

Either car would most likely end up being chipped.

Also considering a brand new MY09 R32. The engine and exhaust notes are absolutely delicious and can't be compared to much else.

You would be better off asking a dealer that. Ask a few of them, and see who offers a better deal.

Corey_R
09-10-2009, 09:58 AM
presented without comment except for .. thanks for the floor mats and fuel guys ..

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

So I've gone over this with a fine-tooth-comb, and as others have noted these prices are without GST (until the end), but no-one has so far spotted the two mistakes which ARE in this pricelist.

According to the last pricelist which I saw for the MK6 Golf on the VW website before they removed the PDF's, the Rear View Camera was a $500 option with the RNS510, not $700 as would be indicated in your price list (e.g. $636.36 plus GST). It's possible this may have gone up $200 since April, but I wouldn't know why.

Also, obtaining the Dynaudio 300W system in combination with the RNS510 was only an extra $1000, and not the $1800 indicated in your price list (e.g. $1636.36 plus GST). In was only $1800 when upgrading from the standard RCD310 to the Dynaudio as it required upgrading to the RCD510.

In addition, a Dealer Delivery of $3000 is a bit rich.... I've seen that slashed to $1000 - $1500 (and even waved completely) in many cases.

I hope you hadn't committed to the total figure of $65,379.50 yet!

Edit: For all you guys who were wondering.... the $1000 in over quoted options actually has a $1366.33 effect on the final price after all the taxes and duties. If you were able to get the dealer to reduce the dealer delivery from the $2995 to $1000, then that additional $1995 off the price would actually bring another $2723.17 in savings. Those two things would give a final price of $61290 - or $4089.50 cheaper!

nyc863
09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
thanks for checking that, I've re-interpreted your comments to my sales guy in case they are handing out quotes like this to others.

and the dealer car wash price is crazy!

Corey_R
09-10-2009, 02:22 PM
and the dealer car wash price is crazy!

Exactly! Especially considering the quality of the equipment, consumables, and people they have doing that wash!

Kwoka
09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Which dealer is this if you don't mind me asking?

aeon
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I noticed you mention getting dealer delivery from $2995 to $1000 - is this something reasonable to be able to achieve on release?

I've kinda given in to having to pay full retail for a new GTI, but if I can find a dealer that will discount the dealer delivery, that'd be nice. :)

Corey_R
09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
That's a good question about dealer delivery. The thing is, the car and the option price are going to be basically set by VW Australia, but the dealer delivery is set by the dealers. As far as I'm aware, that's fully negotiable.

Lima
09-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I understand dealer pricing wasn't confirmed until today. So, maybe more dealers will be forthcoming with pricing now.

Gav23
09-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Opinions on how long it will take for the price to come closer to the current MkVI price? 12 months?

Plopeye
10-10-2009, 03:35 AM
do we know for sure there will be little room to move regarding negotiations for the gti? I find it unusual not to be able to negotiate a price for a new car. Ill definately have a crack when my dealer call me in to negotiate a price. It was funny because they acted like they have the sale when I gave my deposit. I did ensure one of the conditions of sale was "agreed pricing".

Corey_R
10-10-2009, 08:00 AM
I don't think it has all to do with that there is "little room" to negotiate. It's more a case of, they are already selling more than they can supply within a reasonable amount of time, so if you don't want to pay the RRP of the car, then someone else will, and their attitude is why lose that profit?
Later once the big rush to get the car is done, and production is meeting or exceeding demand, that is when they will be more open to negotiation.

Lukey13
10-10-2009, 09:02 AM
do we know for sure there will be little room to move regarding negotiations for the gti? I find it unusual not to be able to negotiate a price for a new car. Ill definately have a crack when my dealer call me in to negotiate a price. It was funny because they acted like they have the sale when I gave my deposit. I did ensure one of the conditions of sale was "agreed pricing".

Even if a deposit is refundable, it certainly would indicate to a sales person such strong interest in a car that there would be very little room for price negotiation - why would they need to give you a good price if you're that keen.

My approach to possibly buying a Mk6 GTI is that the dealer knows that I am very cautiously awaiting pricing information in order to find out how much of a discount I can be offered. If I am unhappy with this price I don't have any qualms about ringing around other dealers (in my state and outside of it), like I did when pricing some other cars. When we bought my wife's new car earlier this year we bought it from a dealer out of town due to their pricing and availability of the stock we were after. Furthermore, if the Mk6 GTI pricing discount is not good enough, I'll be happy to look at something else with a better discount, such as an R32, or something from Audi or BMW.

I also don't care if I have to wait 6 months for the car I order to be made - there's no way I'd pay a premium to have it sooner as I've currently got a quality luxury (and sporty) sedan that is a joy to drive.

Is it just me, or does it seem that paying an early deposit is nothing more than offering the dealer a tight grip of your balls before the negotiating process has even begun?! :eek:

Plopeye
10-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Even if a deposit is refundable, it certainly would indicate to a sales person such strong interest in a car that there would be very little room for price negotiation - why would they need to give you a good price if you're that keen.

My approach to possibly buying a Mk6 GTI is that the dealer knows that I am very cautiously awaiting pricing information in order to find out how much of a discount I can be offered. If I am unhappy with this price I don't have any qualms about ringing around other dealers (in my state and outside of it), like I did when pricing some other cars. When we bought my wife's new car earlier this year we bought it from a dealer out of town due to their pricing and availability of the stock we were after. Furthermore, if the Mk6 GTI pricing discount is not good enough, I'll be happy to look at something else with a better discount, such as an R32, or something from Audi or BMW.

I also don't care if I have to wait 6 months for the car I order to be made - there's no way I'd pay a premium to have it sooner as I've currently got a quality luxury (and sporty) sedan that is a joy to drive.

Is it just me, or does it seem that paying an early deposit is nothing more than offering the dealer a tight grip of your balls before the negotiating process has even begun?! :eek:

I am definately interested in the car and according to my dealer so is 25 other people at the moment. Yes, of course this is their word but if $1,000 means i may not have to wait until July 2010 then hey I'm for it. That was actually another condition of sale, that I am only prepared to wait until Jan for delivery. If the dealer thinks the $1,000 deposit means I am going to commit to their price (considering it is not negotiable) then hey there may have been a miscommunication somewhere down the line. As you mentioned I will enter the negotiations with the intention to decline if a price is not agreed on. But yes they certainly were behaving like "they had a tight grip of my balls" when I paid my deposit. That is ok though and I Was fine with the behavior, perhaps they are just acting on past experience.

I like your approach regarding buying a gti. Out of all the cars I tested, civic type r, magane, clio, wrx the mkv gti was easily my favorite. I could live with a civic type R, but i would rather not. However there is still the Audi and BMW option. Also as you also mentioned, interstate and other dealers.

I dont know about others but I do definitely have a plan B if an agreed value can not be met. But in the end it comes down to the individual and what they are happy with. As we all know the end result is ownership of a quality vehicle.

How did people go when they purchased their brand new mk5 gti? I am new to VW but heard the interest in that model was also very high prior to release date.

Redman
10-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Ill definately have a crack when my dealer call me in to negotiate a price. It was funny because they acted like they have the sale when I gave my deposit. I did ensure one of the conditions of sale was "agreed pricing".

Same Here, and they insisted that I pay the deposit, to which I said "email me your banking details and I'll direct deposit it". I haven't done so yet (and it's been over 1 month) however I did get a call yesterday afternoon asking what options and colour I was looking for because they now have an "allocation".
They still can't provide me with an options list or timeline on availability, so the game continues........

Lukey13
10-10-2009, 12:21 PM
To be honest, I would prefer to have to wait 6 months plus for delivery, as this would give me more time with my current car which I'm very happy with anyway. As long as I can order the car before 31st December, I'll still get the 50% investment allowance with the benefit of not having to pay for ages.

Plopeye
10-10-2009, 01:59 PM
To be honest, I would prefer to have to wait 6 months plus for delivery, as this would give me more time with my current car which I'm very happy with anyway. As long as I can order the car before 31st December, I'll still get the 50% investment allowance with the benefit of not having to pay for ages.

your lucky... I am over my honda CRV and i want a new car ASAP.

Actually i found it very difficult for dealers to try and "sell" me a car. Honda told me I could test drive the type R for only 1km (because it was off the show room). Renault said they would call me back when their clio sport was available. They called when i was in the middle of something and I Asked the gentleman to call me back same time the next day but he never did. Had issues getting into a megane as well. WRX the guy stuck on me as well and didnt let me go out solo.

Best service I received so far was the VW crew. They have let me drive their Mkv on 2 occasions now and for about 1 hour each time. Good folks over there.

Hail
10-10-2009, 04:10 PM
your lucky... I am over my honda CRV and i want a new car ASAP.

Actually i found it very difficult for dealers to try and "sell" me a car. Honda told me I could test drive the type R for only 1km (because it was off the show room). Renault said they would call me back when their clio sport was available. They called when i was in the middle of something and I Asked the gentleman to call me back same time the next day but he never did. Had issues getting into a megane as well. WRX the guy stuck on me as well and didnt let me go out solo.

Best service I received so far was the VW crew. They have let me drive their Mkv on 2 occasions now and for about 1 hour each time. Good folks over there.

I also had similar experiences, test drove the mkv gti twice, solo and for almost an hr each time.. nps!

gregozedobe
10-10-2009, 06:13 PM
WRX the guy stuck on me as well and didnt let me go out solo.

I don't really blame them. If you were selling a secondhand WRX as a private seller would you let a stranger take your car for test drive without you onboard to make sure they didn't abuse it by trying a "racing start" or something else equally silly ? I know I wouldn't.

Many dealerships have strict policies on when prospective purchasers are permitted to go for solo drives, which often prohibits driving more performance oriented cars with a cold engine.

schoona
10-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Just another 2c

Was at the dealer today, Mk6 GTI is apparently "around $1500 dearer" and the R20 should be about 60-61k

G-rig
10-10-2009, 07:36 PM

That's usually how it works and most salesman would think they're going to sell a car once they receive a deposit. Depends what your agreements are but should be a bit of a discount but they'll try on the waiting/lead time thing again.

Corey_R
10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Just another 2c

Was at the dealer today, Mk6 GTI is apparently "around $1500 dearer" and the R20 should be about 60-61k

This is not the case so far. As you can see from the quote on the very first post in this thread, the MK6 is the exact same price as the MKV. The only thing is that the MK6 has some additional options which were not available on the MKV and these let you take the price much higher.

aeon
10-10-2009, 08:55 PM
The dealer up here didn't have any information about the GTI at all, no dates, no prices, nothing. I did take a 118TSI for a spin though, and really didn't think much of it - why does everyone rave about that car?

GTi Crow
10-10-2009, 09:41 PM
This is not the case so far. As you can see from the quote on the very first post in this thread, the MK6 is the exact same price as the MKV. The only thing is that the MK6 has some additional options which were not available on the MKV and these let you take the price much higher.

Don't be too sure - that price in the first post may be right, but is categorically denied by my dealer and they, to my knowledge, were only getting official prices yesterday (Friday 9th October).

I will wait to see the prices in black and white from VW Australia or my dealer before I consider which options I will go with.

schoona
11-10-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm not too worried actually. I hope to be in the market for a new car this time next year , by then prices will be settled and it will be proper negotiations.

The dealer I spoke to is going to Sydney son, and to a driver involvement day to get all the specs, details, hrash one annnnnd official pricing.

For $hits and giggles we took a 118tsi 7speed DSG for a run. First time in a DSG car. Impressive. That thing pulled like a train up some hills round town. Would absolutely rape my VR. But it doesn't sound as good!

guliver_twist
11-10-2009, 09:39 AM
The pricing seems like standard RRP. By ticking every option available the pricing is definately reasonable. That price is very likely to be negotiable...
I am sure you can make any car seem ridiculously priced if you take every possible option..

ricksterrr
12-10-2009, 12:52 PM
$1300 for the 18'' Alloy Wheels.

Launched Mid - End October officially.

Cheers!

$1300 for the 18s is much lower than I was expecting them to be (>$1800)

Can you divulge any other pricing details (e.g. dynaudio upgrade)?

schoona
12-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Cheers!

$1300 for the 18s is much lower than I was expecting them to be (>$1800)

Can you divulge any other pricing details (e.g. dynaudio upgrade)?

I tihnk its around the $1300-$1500 mark... ?

ricksterrr
12-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Too much is up in the air at the moment. We should know more by Friday.

Thought you had received official pricing from VW - I guess that's not the case!

MurphyTheElf
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I was just called by my dealer to choose an allocated car. They either seem to be kitted out with the kitchen sink, or come bog standard. Leather and sunroof seem to be the first options to go into a car, followed by Sat Nav, then parking options. Unfortunately the leather and sunroof add huge $$$ to the car and you can't get one of the inital allocations without making a compromise.

To hell with compromise, I took the kitchen sink. It will look a litte something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUYT7n2kNc

Don't ask the (approximately) quoted price..... I could almost get an R. But I'm impatient.

Lima
12-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I was just called by my dealer to choose an allocated car. They either seem to be kitted out with the kitchen sink, or come bog standard. Leather and sunroof seem to be the first options to go into a car, followed by Sat Nav, then parking options. Unfortunately the leather and sunroof add huge $$$ to the car and you can't get one of the inital allocations without making a compromise.

We had to do that when ordering our 3dr Mk5. I wanted roof, leather, xenons (and possibly nav) in Candy White. There were now CW 3drs with xenons in the first shipment, so we had to settle for leather and sunroof. Didn't really want to wait to order as our trade vehicle (2001 Outback) was making all sorts of horrible sounds, haha.

Corey_R
12-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Don't ask the (approximately) quoted price..... I could almost get an R. But I'm impatient.

Nah - the R will be another jump up in price over the GTI. I've created a spreadsheet which accurately calculates all the GST, LCT, Stamp Duties, and other charges on cars, based on you knowing the base cost, option costs, and dealer delivery. I've taken the cost of the R32, and then the options of the MK6 cars/MkV cars where appropriate, and trust me... it will be easy to have a Golf R cost over $80k on the road. In fact, if you were to get ALL the options, including the recaro seats, it may be possible to push the Golf R price to $90k !

MurphyTheElf
12-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Nah - the R will be another jump up in price over the GTI. I've created a spreadsheet which accurately calculates all the GST, LCT, Stamp Duties, and other charges on cars, based on you knowing the base cost, option costs, and dealer delivery. I've taken the cost of the R32, and then the options of the MK6 cars/MkV cars where appropriate, and trust me... it will be easy to have a Golf R cost over $80k on the road. In fact, if you were to get ALL the options, including the recaro seats, it may be possible to push the Golf R price to $90k !

Wouldn't the R come with certain options as standard, and other options cheaper than the GTI? I'd assume at least leather and better stereo would be standard, for example?

Lukey13
13-10-2009, 06:31 AM
Price for Dynaudio on Mk6 GTI by advice given to me is $1,800 (plus the associated minor increase in stamp duty and possibly luxury car tax).

It would also seem that discounting on the Mk6 GTI will be very limited until some time next year.

Corey_R
13-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Wouldn't the R come with certain options as standard, and other options cheaper than the GTI? I'd assume at least leather and better stereo would be standard, for example?

Correct. All these prices below are based on the cost of the options from the MK5 R32 and MKVI from published VW price lists. I've also assumed that the cost of upgrade from 18" to 19" wheels is the same as from 17" to 18" wheels, and that the inclusions on the Golf R will be the same as on the R32. All these assumes are fairly safe for an estimate, given that this has been the trend for all MK6 replacement models so far....

The car and options are ex-GST, as per the way dealers like to do things.

Mark 6 Golf R - 3dr...................... 50445.45
DSG.......................................... 2272.73

19" Alloy Wheels.......................... 1818.18
Adaptive Chassis Control............... 1363.64
Anti-theft Alarm System................. 545.45
Bi-Xenon Headlights..................... Standard
Electric Glass Sunroof................... 1818.18
Metallic Paint/Pearl Effect............. Standard
Park Assist, w/ PDC front/rear........ 1272.73
Rear View Camera (RVC)................. 454.55
Leather Upholstery....................... Standard
Media Device Interface (MDI).......... 245.45
Premium Blue Tooth...................... 1263.64
RNS510 Sat Nvigation w/Dynaudio... 3181.82

Dealer Delivery............................. 2722.73
GST........................................... 6740.45
Luxury Car Tax............................. 5089.50
Stamp Duty ................................. 3061.73

Registration Fee............................. 278.00
Compulsory Third Party.................... 428.00
Premium Plates................................ 80.00

Total Cost of Car....................... $83082.23

And btw, the Recaro Seats which have an RRP of $4000, actually add $5460 to this cost due to taxes. Having a 5 door which is RRP $1500 more, will end up being $2047.50 more. So if you added both of them, your total would be:
$90589.73 !!!!!!!!

Price for Dynaudio on Mk6 GTI by advice given to me is $1,800 (plus the associated minor increase in stamp duty and possibly luxury car tax).

Dynaudio is $1800 if ordered on its own as it includes the cost to upgrade to the RCD510 TFT Touchscreen head unit. If you order the Dynaudio with the RNS510, then you don't need the RCD510, so it's able to be obtained as a package $3500, or only $1000 more than the RNS510 would be on its own. This is the case in the published pricelist for the MK6 standard Golf's. I haven't heard a reason why this would be different for the GTI (i.e. more speakers, more amplification etc).

gregozedobe
13-10-2009, 09:02 AM
So if you added both of them, your total would be:
$90589.73 !!!!!!!!

If VWA follow that pricing model :eek: I can't see the Golf R's being very popular here in Oz. Likely to be like the Uber-Passat and the Phaeton (great cars, but only sold in miniscule numbers)

Corey_R
13-10-2009, 09:10 AM
If VWA follow that pricing model :eek: I can't see the Golf R's being very popular here in Oz. Likely to be like the Uber-Passat and the Phaeton (great cars, but only sold in miniscule numbers)

Well, it's hardly their fault that our government adds 10% GST, THEN 33% LCT and THEN another 3 to 5% Stamp Duty.

As for not being successful, why not? The R32 was already successful. If you were to get a standard R32 (3rd, no DSG) would be ~$61706.33. And presumably the Golf R will be about the same.
But if you optioned the R32 up full then it'd be: ~$81225.83.
The reason the new Golf R can go up to $90k+ is due to the additional MK6 options which are available on all MK6 models.

There is nothing new and shocking here guys. It's just the 'impact' of seeing the prices AFTER the LCT/Stamp Duty/Onroads are added, rather than the 'RRP' prices that we'd normally see.

Corey_R
13-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Btw guys. I posted the spreadsheet that I'm using in the Golf R pricing thread over here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?p=400785#post400785). :)

Maverick
15-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I tihnk its around the $1300-$1500 mark... ?

Retail price is $1200 inc gst.

• Detroit 18“ alloy wheels (4)* PJ6 $1,200

RNS 510 is the same price ($10 more)

• RNS510 satellite navigation system R2A $2,500

New option is the Dynaudio by itself for $1,300 or $3,800 with the RNS 510.

• RNS510 with Dynaudio 300W premium audio R2D $3,800

Corey_R
16-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey Maverick. If the RNS 510 on its own is $2500. And the Dynaudio on its own is $1000. Why would both of them together be $3800? ($300 more than individually?)

Edit... Sorry man, just saw your other thread. I guess you've done a typo in this thread and you meant to put the Dynaudio as $1300 on its own. That'd make sense then that it adds up to $3800.