PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done Mk6 oil change + filter?

cktsi
15-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Has anyone done an oil change yet on a Mark 6? I'm planning on doing mine this Saturday, but I want to know if anyone who has done this had problems sourcing the oil filter? If there was no problem, which brand filter did you purchase & what was the part number?

I'm pretty sure the oil to use is Mobil 1 0 W40 (at around $95 for 5 litres)

My car has just done 5,000km on the odo, so time for her first oil change.

Thanks!

CKtsi

Grover
16-09-2009, 07:32 AM
I have had my 118TSI for 3 weeks and clocked up 2K. When I bought it, I had them give me 3 x Oil and Air filters (+ touch up paint) so I am good for a while yet.

Umai Naa!!
01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
TDI, or TSI?

I wouldn't stray too far away from what VW recommends for oils. The genuine 5W30 504/507 grade isn't too dear. Catalytic converters and Diesel Particulate Filters aren't cheap.

Mclovin
01-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Why are you changing the oil at 5000km? Doesn't need changing until 15,000.
Wouldn't it void your warranty to change it yourself anyway unless you were a qualified mechanic.

Has anyone done an oil change yet on a Mark 6? I'm planning on doing mine this Saturday, but I want to know if anyone who has done this had problems sourcing the oil filter? If there was no problem, which brand filter did you purchase & what was the part number?

Thanks!

CKtsi

mattyf
01-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Wouldn't it void your warranty to change it yourself anyway unless you were a qualified mechanic.

as long as you use vw parts and vw specification oil, ie vw 504/507, the warrenty cant be voided

Nicho
01-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I was told by the dealer 15,000kms service but you have an option to do a 1st service at 7,500kms. Is this a recommended service or just the dealer looking to get extra revenue???

Transporter
01-10-2009, 08:41 PM
as long as you use vw parts and vw specification oil, ie vw 504/507, the warrenty cant be voided

Yes it can, if you make a mistake while working on your car. The warranty covers only the faults (incl. hidden ones) from manufacture and not an incorrect servicing and faulty workmanshift after the car was purchased. :)

Transporter
01-10-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks!

CKtsi

Use VW oil filter (it is cheap) and Penrite Enviro+ 5W30 engine oil or the oil from the dealer.
Penrite will be cheaper and it is VW approved.

cktsi
01-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Mobil 1 is the correct oil. I checked on the back of the 5 litre package and it matches the recommended VW part number in the VW servicing booklet. (something like vw 504 or 503... i forget).

I didn't get to change the filter and just did the oil change. I couldn't find the oil filter anywhere... but it was only after changing the oil did I think to look up an Euro parts dealer. Anyway... next time at the 10,000 km oil change.

btw Grover, is there a part number on written on the box or the filter cannister itself?

Umai Naa!!
01-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Technically, Castrol is the correct oil, given that it is the same stuff that is in the VW Genuine bottles.

dopey
01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
It's always a good idea to use the genuine filter - these are available over the counter at the spare parts/service department.

Castrol is the factory oil - it even says so on the oil filler cap on our car. The service department advised when we were picking up our car that we should use 5w30 Castrol or Mobil. Apparently it is the same for both Diesel and Petrol now days too.

Anyhow, I would recommend using Castrol Edge Sport 5w30. Fully Synthetic and perfect for late model boosted fours.

FYI: The dealer's service department in fact instructed us to buy a bottle of Castrol or Mobil 5w30 to top the car up with as they assure us it will be using up a fair bit of oil while it is new. I'll be getting the oil changed at 5,000km as well - I don't care if they say it isn't needed until 15,000 that's still too bloody long for oil to stay in a fresh engine. It's cheap insurance to just change it earlier.

ripblade
14-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Hey guys,

I've tried looking all over this forum and the web for tutorials on this and have not found any for the MK6 GTI's.

I've found a couple for the MK5's

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/gti/docs/GTI_Oil_Change.pdf

&

Changing oil - Mkvgtiwiki (http://www.mkv-gti.net/wiki/index.php?title=Changing_oil)

Is it safe to use the same tutorials for the MK6?

P/s where is the best place to buy vw filters online?

Thank you.

sreay
15-09-2010, 06:07 PM
have a read

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/why-you-need-use-504-507-oils-fsi-tsi-tdi-engines-47140.html

Australian Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 is vw 502/505 so i wouldn't recommend using it.

craig_the_german
16-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi,
I have been looking around and CASTROL SLX PROFESSIONAL POWERFLOW LONGLIFE III is apparently the oil to use...but where do you buy it? (apart from VW dealer at dealer markups)

skeep
16-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Craig,

I too was looking around for that oil but couldn't find it any where. Ended up grabbing some Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 (VW 504 00/507 00 approved) from SuperCheap instead. Only used it for top ups, haven't done a full oil change yet.

Transporter
16-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi Craig,

I too was looking around for that oil but couldn't find it any where. Ended up grabbing some Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 (VW 504 00/507 00 approved) from SuperCheap instead. Only used it for top ups, haven't done a full oil change yet.

Nothing wrong with Shell Helix Ultra Extra, you can use it as complete fill.:)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

prise
18-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I've changed the oil in my 118TSI and it is a straight forward procedure, however I advise that you pay the fee and download the correct procedure and torque settings from erwin as you are going to have to do it 'by the book'. A few things to watch out for:

1) Use a torque wrench for the filter and sump plug - don't guess.
2) Use the correct adaptor for the oil filter (correct diameter and number of flutes)
3) Use a replacement sump plug washer.
4) The 118TSI has the oil filter inverted compared to many engines which is great because it is accessed from above, however it leads to the possibility of oil from the filter ending up in your alternator and alternator drive belt.
5) With the filter removed foreign material can drop down into where the filter screws on. If this happens on the outlet side of the filter it could block oil passages and damage the motor.
6) As others have mentioned make sure you use a 504.00 spec oil.

It's a simple procedure for someone with mechanical experience but still has potential for the in-experienced to stuff it up with consequences ranging from oil leaks to stripped threads or a seized motor in the worst case scenario so if in doubt - don't.

Maz
19-09-2010, 12:10 AM
For any other noobs like me (or too lazy to Google), erwin is the Electronic Repair and Workshop Information service from Volkswagen: https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do.

Access costs are (https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do):
* One hour without printing rights (only screenshot possible) €4.00
* One day incl. printing rights €21.00
* One week incl. printing rights €88.00 €
* 30 days incl. printing rights €310.00
* 365 days incl. printing rights €2,850.00

:thumbsup: