PDA

View Full Version : So you think you can drive?

quozl
14-09-2009, 11:23 AM
So you think you can drive?

Prove it!

Australia 2009: Hirvonen SS04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUBXIWTm26I

Take the time to watch the whole thing :driver:

Robby K
14-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Great video...

2 things required to be a WRC driver.... Commitment and plenty of it, and a rather large pair of aggots!

Dont know about anyone else but Ive always thought Rally drivers are the best drivers in the world!

gareth_oau
14-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I tend to agree robby,

i love F1, absolutely, the guys are like perfectionist robots to be able to consistently lap within 1000ths of a second.

but on the other hand a rally driver has to deal with constantly changing variables and so is the king of adaptation.

i feel the rally drivers are worth a lot more than they are paid, and they are typically down-to-earth about it too.

tis a shame that the marketing side of things puts them a distant second profile-wise

Jarred
14-09-2009, 12:39 PM
you'd never catch me doing that!

I don't have the gahoonas to drive that fast on such a tight ever changing track, even with pace notes!

Mrk_Mickey
14-09-2009, 01:11 PM
you'd never catch me doing that!

I don't have the gahoonas to drive that fast on such a tight ever changing track, even with pace notes!

Yeah I reckon I'm the same. I'd love to try it but it'd be one of those things I do for 5 minutes and bugger up. hehehe.

The_Hawk
14-09-2009, 01:16 PM
it'd be one of those things I do for 5 minutes and bugger up...

...into a tree at speed...

It looks like lots of fun but I think I would be purchasing the worlds largest supply of brown undies before heading out.

Mrk_Mickey
14-09-2009, 01:40 PM
...into a tree at speed...

It looks like lots of fun but I think I would be purchasing the worlds largest supply of brown undies before heading out.

Rofl, yeah exactly.

rayray086
14-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I suppose the only safe way to try this out is with a rally sim game. Colin McRae 4.0 on PC was mad fun!

Cupra
14-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I did a little a long long time ago with an R100 & it was great fun....... but, at the start of each stage i found myself wondering how much it was going to cost me :brutal: as it was my car!

Yevvy
14-09-2009, 03:19 PM
now if everyone could drive like that, we wouldn't need speed limits :D

Robby K
14-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I did a little a long long time ago with an R100 & it was great fun....... but, at the start of each stage i found myself wondering how much it was going to cost me :brutal: as it was my car!

Ive got a tear in my eye reading this post being a massive rotary nut... You used to rally an R100?:cry2:

Id love to get another 1 but besides the fact theyre like rocking horse poop to find these days the missus would kill me if I bought another car...lol

Since reading this thread Ive been watching all my old Groub B rally vids.... Still amazing to watch!

DUB 12V
14-09-2009, 05:26 PM
post of the year, wow

Ben_GTI
14-09-2009, 08:45 PM
WRC guys are honestly some of the most talented drivers out there... People say F1 is the best etc etc, but they have consistent surfaces, crash barriers, run off areas.... the WRC guys have trees inches from them and moving targets like cows and kangaroos to deal with too. *Ali G style* Wrrrrespect...

dubbed
14-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Definitely agree with you Ben. I just have a whole different level of respect for rally drivers compared to other motor sport drivers.

My fav is definitely the group B. I'd dig some vids out but it'll keep me up all night!

mikepologti
15-09-2009, 01:16 AM
awsome,........just awsome. id love to be able to drive like that.

quozl
15-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Here is Danny Sordo on SS21 CTEK WEST,

Fast and commited but no where near Hirvonen's Cohones in the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcDuVZeg2YY

Cheers Al

Robby K
15-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Heres 1 for the Group B fans!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vky1uh_kCf0

Im not sure whos more commited though the drivers or the fans...lol...

Ive got heaps of vids of this stuff, and I never get sick of watching it, just amazing cars.

gareth_oau
15-09-2009, 11:24 AM
unfortunately, group B was discountinued coz too many drivers were killing themselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokJEbfsDe0

Robby K
15-09-2009, 07:22 PM
unfortunately, group B was discountinued coz too many drivers were killing themselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokJEbfsDe0

It wasnt just that drivers were hurt it was because a number of spectators were also killed... Crazy Crazy Crazy dudes standing right on front of the cars to get a look:eek:

Those cars were just sooo fast and what we now know about safety didnt exist at that time... Its kind of a shame because as far as race cars go these things were simply incredible. I'll never get sick of watching tha Audi Quattro S1 4 wheel powersliding!!!!

Water Boy
15-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I was doing some of that yesterday :banana: Not as fast though :rolleyes:

mikepologti
16-09-2009, 12:36 AM
I was doing some of that yesterday :banana: Not as fast though :rolleyes:

on a race track or privately owned sealed road of course :rolleyes: :P