PDA

View Full Version : Changing banner image annoying?

Luminary
10-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi all,

I realise that the changing banner is possibly designed to be a 'wow' feature or some such, but personally I find it annoying.

More than that though, it plays havoc with the caching of one's browser leading to excessive downloading of data on each reload since the cache is not constant.

It would also lead to higher server side data use presumably since clients are always downloading the picture banner as their caches are constantly changing.

I've fixed it on my side by using a web proxy that eliminates the banner altogether. But I would have preferred just having one banner that was well selected and changed only infrequently.

team_v
10-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I enjoy it.
It shows off a wide variety of VW models all of which are represented on the forums here.

The data download would be negligable to most people.

Tim
10-09-2009, 09:21 PM
as a fellow geek I try my best not to suck the joy out of life. Suggest you enjoy the pretty pictures like the average person. I know I do.. Ive been present at many of the meets that these pics were taken on and they bring back some very pleasant memories.

rayray086
10-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Haha first was not enough variety, and now too much!

RhysQ
10-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi all,

I realise that the changing banner is possibly designed to be a 'wow' feature or some such, but personally I find it annoying.

More than that though, it plays havoc with the caching of one's browser leading to excessive downloading of data on each reload since the cache is not constant.

It would also lead to higher server side data use presumably since clients are always downloading the picture banner as their caches are constantly changing.

I've fixed it on my side by using a web proxy that eliminates the banner altogether. But I would have preferred just having one banner that was well selected and changed only infrequently.

Are you on dial-up or something mate? The banner is the first thing to load when I refresh and it pops up straight away. If you have broadband, I suggest you contact your service provider and ask serious questions.

Just FYI, it got changed to scrolling banners as there was high demand for a more frequent change of banner pics. If you look at the relative thread, it seems many enjoy it. It wasn't designed as a 'wow' factor, but more meeting the requests of fellow members. The I's have it in this case.

I'm sorry but this is a poor thread, there's always one complaining.

Mrk_Mickey
10-09-2009, 11:58 PM
It annoys me a tiny bit that they change EVERY page, but people like this and it works just fine..I think the images are only like 50kb max or so :)

gerhard
11-09-2009, 12:02 AM
The pictures are roughly 50kb

Even dialup can cope with that.........

But I guess if you were using Telstra mobile broadband it would cost $2.00 for each banner change......

mikepologti
11-09-2009, 12:29 AM
i know this might seem obvious to some, (so dont flame me for this one) but you can download a add on for fire fox that you can right click and block adds this can also be used to block pics on web sites so the site loads quicker. just a thuaght.

Piotr
11-09-2009, 07:56 AM
if you use dubdub003 style at the bottom left hand side theres no banner pics

Brisben
11-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Who really cares! except OP.:rolleyes:

I think they are fun and probably do bring back some good memories for some.

neil
11-09-2009, 09:14 AM
My only complaint is not enough Jetta's.
Quite frankly I think us Jetta owners are being discriminated upon.
Time to view the anti discrimination website.
Look out mods.:brutal:

evorobin
11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Meh I'm enjoying the pic from last years volksfest :cool:

Spyda
11-09-2009, 10:43 AM
if you use dubdub003 style at the bottom left hand side theres no banner pics

EXACTLY!

My main problem is that my car is not in there :leet[1]::negev:...........:emo_baghead:

greasykitchen
12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
If anything, there's not enough of them. There's still a few waiting in the wings posted on the other thread, and there's a bit of a bias against SA pics :wasntme: :emo_baghead:

Driven Threads
12-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I think the banner is great! Its only just been updated so I think it is a little early for comments such as "There is'nt any Jetta's"....and "There is a bias against SA cars". I'm sure the rotating banner is'nt set in concrete. As for the OP...really if your internet connection is that slow...I suggest you visit a local library to use VWwatercooled...then you can enjoy the rotating banner like 99% of all users do! Btw :sucks:

Lorenz
12-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I love it, looks great and doesnt get boring... The End!

The_Hawk
12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Once the images are downloaded once they should stay in your cache so shouldn't worry you the second time around. They are all the same dimenions so shouldn't push or change any of the layout otherwise.

At the moment there is 16 banners, although I'm considering as we get more breaking them into groups of say 10 and then swapping out the different groups each month so there is something fresh each month ;)

Good to hear most people are enjoying them.

Stan
12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
New banners are great and good to see them up!

WABIT
18-09-2009, 04:03 PM
whats on the banners are aussie volkswagens! its US! and if people arnet proud of what cars and images we produce then you shouldnt be on this forum as this forum promotes passionate volkswagen enthusiasts, this isnt towards anyone, just being a little patriotic... i say the banners look tops and we should be proud!

dom

greasykitchen
18-09-2009, 06:08 PM
whats on the banners are aussie volkswagens! its US! and if people arnet proud of what cars and images we produce then you shouldnt be on this forum as this forum promotes passionate volkswagen enthusiasts, this isnt towards anyone, just being a little patriotic... i say the banners look tops and we should be proud!

dom

Argeed more or less. Now I do beleive there is some on the other thread just waiting to be put to good use by the nice admin people. :P :cool: