PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Generic rubber floor mats stink

logger
09-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Anyone worked out how to get rid of the pungent rubber smell that is included for free with these mats? Bought from Repco for about $12. At this stage I am just planning to leave them hanging out in the breeze for a couple of weeks to see if it improves things. Way too smelly to have in the car as they are now.

Cam
09-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Time + Use
lol

I've had mine in for 4 months and the smell has finally just gone.
You could use some carpet deodoriser underneath the mat which sort of helps, but apart from that I can't think of anything else.

The rubber smell is quite overpowering I agree. Its even worse when you have the heater on.
:rolleyes:

gregozedobe
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Hang them in a sunny spot where there is a decent breeze - the heat from the sun will help drive off the smell. If they are folded or sitting on something that will resrict the smelly gases from escaping.

Manaz
09-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Throw them out and buy something decent? A half-decent set of carpet ones (or good rubber ones) should cost less than $100.

Why spend $30k on a car, and then $12 on stinky car mats? I just don't get it!

logger
09-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Throw them out and buy something decent? A half-decent set of carpet ones (or good rubber ones) should cost less than $100.

Good question deserves a good answer.
Because I want to protect the expensive $200 fitted VW carpet mats beneath with something that is cheap and disposable when I go bush. Why put cow **** on $200 mats when you can put it on $12 ones?

Mrk_Mickey
10-09-2009, 01:34 AM
He's got you there Rob!!

But you shouldn't drive a VW into bush anyway, unless it's a tig or something :nana:

In my silly youth I hair-dried my friend's rubber mats and we didn't notice smell afterwards..lol

logger
10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the heat suggestion. Will hit them with plenty of fresh air and radiant heat and see how I get on. Should have bought ten sets and on sell them post smell for $13. Could make a fortune this way.

Cam
10-09-2009, 04:16 PM

Even the more expensive ones are a little bit smelly.
I know the good quality ones we've got in the GT sport were probably worse than my cheapies!

I've got carpet mats in, but I find having the cheap rubber to protect them is a good thing. Especially if you go places where there is dirt/gravel/other crap (like my carpark at work...lol)

mikepologti
11-09-2009, 12:08 AM
i picked my rubber mats up from super cheep for $2 a piece lmao, smell just going now. but yeah id recomend to just leave them out to breeze, but directly out of sunlight. cooking them might make them, smell longer.

logger
19-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Ended up relenting. Could no longer live with the smell.

http://www.nimblefeet.com/QF/IMG_5118.JPG
Got a set of 4 Mk6 mats from Hitech (http://www.carmats4u.com.au/new-shape-vw-golf-car-mats-rubber-tailored-volkswagen-mark-6.html) for $89 delivered. All fitted to the car, no smell, About 3 times the w8 of the cheapies. Note the fitting holes which you need to pop out.

http://www.nimblefeet.com/QF/IMG_5116.JPG
From L to R $11 cheap stinkers (with manual acellerator cutout), $89 Hitech set, OEM carpet set.

At $89 a set its expensive but the OEM set of 4 was going to cost me around twice that. These fit well, look smart and don't smell so I am happy.