PDA

View Full Version : Features i would like in my Tiguan

avalasia
09-09-2009, 08:58 AM
The Tiguan might be a great car but for the price tag there are some features that are missing in action.

Seat memory - i hate trying to find the perfect spot after the wife has taken the car to the shops.
Auto- tailgate
Bluetooth - not as an option, these days $20,000 cars have bluetooth.

these are the only options coming to mind at the moment but im sure there are a few more when you look at the details.

Arctra
09-09-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a HUGE wishlist, and most of it is already available on some cars, but at a price. Here goes anyway:

I second your Seat Memory wish. It is probably my biggest annoyance.

Other things I'd like that are currently available on VW models:

Adaptive Cruise Control (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/company/Innovative_Technology/driver_assistance_systems/automatic_distance_control.html) - No doubt it's going to eventually trickle down to the Tig as it's available on the Toureg and Passat models, but I want it now.
Paddle shifters - Would make using the tiptronic a lot nicer.
Folding wing mirrors - Seems to be available on the US model, so not sure why we don't get it. It sounds like there is a "pack" available in the US that includes memory seats and folding wing mirrors, but we aren't offered it here.
LED Daytime Running Lights - Peoples views on these seem to be quite polarized, but I like them a lot.
Blind spot notification (VW call it Side Assist (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/company/Innovative_Technology/driver_assistance_systems/side_scan.html)) - Simple yet effective, and will hopefully decrease the incidence of collissions because of cars in the blind spot. My girlfriend isn't great at checking the blind spot, but is a past master at sitting in other peoples blind spots (as are a lot of idiots on the road) so I think this would be very useful.

Other things I'd like that are on other manufacturer's models:

Lane Departure Warning (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/7series/sedan/2008/allfacts/ergonomics/lane_departure_warning.html) - I think this would not just be useful for long distance trips where some drivers stop concentrating on their driving, but in the city where some people do silly things that distract them from their driving and make them swerve out of their lanes (setting GPS destination, playing with the radio, putting on lipstick, reaching into the glove box, lighting cigarette, etc). I believe Hella have an aftermarket offering for VW's.
Peripheral camera's - Basically an extension of the reverse camera concept, but offering more visability around the entire vehicle. BMW have the Bumper Camera's (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/7series/sedan/2008/allfacts/ergonomics/camera_system.html) which will allow you to see left and right from the bumper perspective. Particularly useful when putting out into a busy road and your vision down the road is blocked by trees/signboards, trailers, cars, etc. I believe Range Rover have something similar but more focused on 4x4'ers so they don't have to get out the vehicle to see where their wheels are and plan which way to steer when offroad. Something like this would probably also stop a lot of kerb-rash on alloys :-)

You could probably argue that a lot of that is pointless and detracts from the driving experience, or if you can't do the basics like check your blind stop then you shouldn't be driving yada yada. I don't really care for the hay sayers. I think it's clever technology that is actually useful for specific applications and circumstances, and I would like them on my Tig. Would be very interested in what others have on their wishlists...

T&M
09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I have a HUGE wishlist, and most of it is already available on some cars, but at a price.
I reckon the price part is acurate! Thats why they also have clever marketing people :emo_baghead: who advertise a Tiguan (TDI) from $39,990. I don't think ANYONE has bought a Tiguan at that price - everyone options theirs up to their liking. It would be good to have additional options though - and also to have 'standard' options from all areas of the world available to all regions.

Aaarh what the heck... we don't even have our yet! :rolleyes:

team_v
09-09-2009, 02:19 PM
The only options i want to see are door protectors and LED DRL's/Tailights.

mickofoz
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Arctra - Lane departure feature is already available on the Passat. VW calls it "Lane Assist"

http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/de3/unternehmen/innovation___technik/assistenzsysteme/lane_assist.html

I don't think its available in OZ yet.

Aggree with the other wish list for the price we're paying.

team_v
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
A lot of these "upper class" options will also probably be released on the Audi Q3 which is due to go on sale next year.

It is based on the tiguan platform so expect the same ride quality with extra options (e.g. LED DRL's) and more powerful engines (125kw TDi etc)

DieselTig
09-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Adaptive Cruise Control - No doubt it's going to eventually trickle down to the Tig as it's available on the Toureg and Passat models, but I want it now.

Adaptive control is now available as an option on Tiguan for $1650. I have ordered it on my TDi

Arctra
09-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Adaptive control is now available as an option on Tiguan for $1650. I have ordered it on my TDi

Interesting. They haven't updated the brochure on the site with that detail. Any idea whether it can be retro-fitted?

DieselTig
10-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Interesting. They haven't updated the brochure on the site with that detail. Any idea whether it can be retro-fitted?
I only found out by accident when the dealer told me that I will be getting the MY10 which had small changes in dash configuration including added option of Adaptive control.
He subsequently sent me the pdf file of the MY10 changes in all VW fleet. I have the file but dont know how to attach. If you can direct me how to attach files I am happy to send you the file.

Sanman
10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
He subsequently sent me the pdf file of the MY10 changes in all VW fleet. I have the file but dont know how to attach. If you can direct me how to attach files I am happy to send you the file.

Can you copy and paste the text from this?

NZTiguan
10-09-2009, 01:26 PM
You guys sure this isn't adaptive suspension ?? that's what's available in NZ NOT adaptive cruise !!

Cheers

Arctra
10-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks DieselTig

I've just saved the PDF as a jpg and uploaded it to photobucket so everyone can see. I didn't realise it was just 1 page otherwise that's what I would have advised you to do. Anyway, here is is:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/MY10changes-1.jpg

It looks like it's the Adaptive Chassis Control that's been added, not Adaptive Cruise Control. Easy enough to mistake though as they sound so similar. I'm not sure how much use the Chassis Control is on a Tig to be honest, but it's clever technology and I'm sure someone will benefit from it.

avalasia
10-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Another feature i thought of, PUSH BUTTON START.

I know some people arn't fans but after having driven a lexus there is nothing better than leaving the keys in your pocket and just pushing start.

DieselTig
10-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I went for the Adaptive chassis as a personal choice, I thought I will get better use than a $4000 entertainment option.

Sanman
10-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I would have paid the $500 for the tinted side glass. After market tinting is a little ripply, and is vulnerable to kids
EDIT: after being away for the weekend with the kids, I'd pay good money for one of those limousine privacy screens that I can wind up when it gets too noisy back there.