PDA

View Full Version : park brake problem

tig10
08-09-2009, 11:58 PM
hi
New to this
Picked up my new tiguan last week
125 auto silver, fog, park assist.
Love the car had my first problem after the first day.
Drive with autohold on, stop then took off my seat belt. Then put back to drive and the park brake wont release. Beep a few times then the yellow park brake light came on. dash came up park brake fault see dealer. Taking my car in on thursday. Just seeing anyone had this problem and what to expact and make sure dealer fix it properly. Thanks

NZTiguan
09-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Usually if you did as you describe and then tried to drive off WITHOUT your seatbelt on it will beep and refuse to take the handbrake off until either 1: you release it manually while keeping your foot on the brake pedal or 2: you put your seat belt back on. I can only suspect that within that it has somehow got "confused" as computers are want to do on occasion.

Cheers

tig10
09-09-2009, 08:39 AM
hi nztiguan

thanks for the reply.

everytime i start the car the message comes on the dash saying park brake failure. put my seatbealt on foot on the brake and release the park brake it just beep and the yellow park brake light comes on the left side of the dash (rpm) side. have to keep playing with the park brake (on and off) in P,R,N,D until it release. getting really frustrating. rang service manager at vw he said never heard of this problem before (yeah right). i really hope they fix it properly and wont happen again.

ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM???

team_v
09-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I would just take it in to the service centre and get them to clear the error with their diagnostic tools.

As said above, the car probably didn't like you taking off your seatbelt while the car was still on and stopped.
I wouldn't be surprised if the service manager hadn't heard of it before actually, how many people would take their seatbelt off while the car is still turned on with the autobrake on?

NZTiguan
09-09-2009, 08:52 AM
hi nztiguan

thanks for the reply.

everytime i start the car the message comes on the dash saying park brake failure. put my seatbealt on foot on the brake and release the park brake it just beep and the yellow park brake light comes on the left side of the dash (rpm) side. have to keep playing with the park brake (on and off) in P,R,N,D until it release. getting really frustrating. rang service manager at vw he said never heard of this problem before (yeah right). i really hope they fix it properly and wont happen again.

ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM???

I think you'll find it's just a faulty sensor or something. May even be a software glitch of some sort. Only similar problems I've heard of have been sensor issues. A bit of a pain but I'm sure the dealer will sort it out.

Sanman
09-09-2009, 10:13 PM
rang service manager at vw he said never heard of this problem before (yeah right).

The VW is low volume in this country, and this feature is unique to the Tiguan, and the 'Tiguan 'carpark' out there is quite small. So its quite possible that this fault hasn't been seen in Australia. No that I can justify defending dealers...

vanDub
09-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Don't know about the Tig but this is a standard feature on my Passat. For Park Brake to release automatically you must have seat belt on and have drivers door closed

I have never tried releasing park brake manually with door open, but to release without seat belt on you only need to hold foot brake on and press park brake button manually to release.

The subsequent issues reported have been reported on other models before and were fixed by replacing faulty park brake switches.

High-Fidelity
11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I have never tried releasing park brake manually with door open, but to release without seat belt on you only need to hold foot brake on and press park brake button manually to release.

In my Tiguan (manual, in case it makes a difference) I can release the park brake by pushing the lever down whilst driving away. ie. I don't need to have my foot on the brake. If I'm accelerating and clutching at the time I press the handbrake lever, it releases. I thought that was pretty nifty, as that's what I do when I'm just moving the car a few feet and don't put my belt on.

Other than that, I just don't drive off until I've got my belt on and it releases automatically. I generally have the auto hold on as well, so it engages again when I turn the car off.

I hope I don't just do that in my other car!

tig10
15-09-2009, 08:15 AM
got the parkbrake fix last week. they change the switch on it didn't say much. hope it doesn't happen again. thanks for the reply everyone.