PDA

View Full Version : Did I pay the right price...?

Tricky
28-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Just placed a deposit on a new MY07 VW Golf GTi, bmp, manual, anthracite leather, sat nav, factory tinted windows, car mats... its someone else's cancelled order, so only 2-3 week wait before delivery... :) :)

RRP on the road for that spec is approx $51,400 in QLD (ie including 2% stamp duty, dealer delivery, rego, ctp, tank of fuel). I managed to beat that, but did I beat it by enough? Interested to hear your thoughts on where a good deal sits right now (Jan 07)...

Lima
28-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Anything over $2K would be reasonable enough I reckon. Anything over $4K would be fantastic.

Ultimately though, the price you pay is not all that important. Getting the car you want is the key!

Congrats on the order.

Cheers Liam

DubSteve
28-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Congrats on the order there Tricky hope you have fun with the car.

Hilton_K
29-01-2007, 12:39 PM
If your happy with the deal then that's all that matters.

tofo17
29-01-2007, 12:54 PM
It's hard to say what a good deal is. Two weeks ago I paid $44k drive away for a Jetta FSI Turbo that was $51,700 RRP (in QLD too). But that's 06 platted and a Jetta not a Golf GTI where waiting lists are huge.

As others say, if you feel you got a good deal and value for money then it's a good deal!

Cheers,
Tom

Subie25L
29-01-2007, 03:54 PM
It's hard to say what a good deal is. Two weeks ago I paid $44k drive away for a Jetta FSI Turbo that was $51,700 RRP (in QLD too). But that's 06 platted and a Jetta not a Golf GTI where waiting lists are huge.

As others say, if you feel you got a good deal and value for money then it's a good deal!

Cheers,
Tom

We got a canceled order in our exact spec that was assigned to another dealer in Melb. Got the price rounded down to the nearest $1000 and an IPOD adapter thrown in. So we got about $900 saving.

We were happy as we didn't have to wait 4+ months for a car. :)

Tricky
29-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks chaps, you're absolutely right, a good deal is what you're happy paying for the right car... but I'm an accountant so I can't help myself from thinking in terms of multiples of monthly disposable income foregone! I saved $5k so it sounds like I did allright.

In 2003 I negotiated $8k off the list price of a new HSV Clubsport (VY2), which seemed a great deal at the time... but I hated the car (big, heavy and wallowy) so ended up selling it after 6 months... no longer seemed such a bargain, though I guess my 6 months' depreciation could've been worse...

I then bought a used Honda S2000 - felt that I paid too much for it at the time, but ended up loving the car so it really didn't matter.

Can't wait for the GTi to arrive... :D