PDA

View Full Version : mk3 dash conversion progress

tommymac
28-01-2007, 09:06 PM
hey guys,

so i started my mk3 dash conversion a week ago and we had heaps of dramas but i got the car home tonight still needs a good trimming job and some bits and bobs but it is very nice! anyhow im dead, we had a mad scramble to get the car out of my mates grandmahs garage today as she wasnt very happy that we were shorting the house with the plasma cutter!

pics tomo :)

Bug_racer
28-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Thats an interesting conversion . What kind of problems have you run into so far ?

Tim
28-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Thats an interesting conversion . What kind of problems have you run into so far ?

getting the dash to sydney! :P

Golf Loon
29-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Can I throw away the kneebar that I was keeping for you Tommy?

tommymac
29-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Can I throw away the kneebar that I was keeping for you Tommy?

if you want mate, i still got these pockets for u tho i was meant to give them to tim but i forgot so ill make sure that i get them to you, i sent threw work but i got busted cos the packige was to big for a magazine shipment hahah :rolleyes:

tommymac
29-01-2007, 09:04 AM

every thing possible ,

no kneebar brackets on the SA spec cars

dash to big

dash looks to wide

sits to low then looks like it sits to low

mk3 collumn issues

and now im working on the ducting etc ;)

tommymac
29-01-2007, 11:20 AM
here is a teaser of the dash!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/01/Picture122-2.jpg

turbobricker
30-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Ooh yes man, that photo is just plain sexy!

Guess it makes up for the fact i have no skin left on my hands, no hair on my arms and permanent mental scarring that can only be caused by working on a VeeDub!! Haha!

Keep alert folks! This is history in the making!

PS. Plasma Cutters are the best invention in the entire world. Thank you plasma.

tommymac
25-03-2007, 09:13 PM
right just an update* got most of the electrics working the cluster wont cos its for a vr6 DOH! nevermind me and my mate got the AC blower unit from the mk3 working and all wired in so now its just a mater of plugging it all in and praying im assuming the AC and heater core is all controlled via the dash switches so hopefully if when i reconnect the AC and heater i should get heat other than that, im going to get a brand new mk3 dash to recut cos i kinda munted the other one, so this time ill have patience. Thats its really im still battiling water leaks but its all coming along very very slowley! :)

Golf Loon
25-03-2007, 10:14 PM
WOW. Good Work Tommy.
The VR6 dash cluster should work except for the revcounter. I`ll swop you for a set that will work if you like. I also have an airbag cover if you need.
Will it be at the Nats? You have 2 weeks.

tommymac
26-03-2007, 12:17 AM
:) unfortunalty not which sucks it suck up so quickly i still have to redo my doors so i dont have an indoor swimming pool! well yer nah nothing works on the cluster on the lights :? i dont get it maybe we over looked something does the standard 4 banger have two holes for plugs or just one mate? ill swap for sure if it works , and yer ill take that cover too! u need these indis for nats?

Golf Loon
26-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah I need the indis for nats. U got any spares?? The stock 4 cylinder clocks should work. 1 plug. Your G2 clocks should work too and fit in the hole. If they dont work, something is not plugged in.

tommymac
26-03-2007, 09:56 AM
thats a great idea man never thought about testing them! maybe ill go check! as for the indis ill cheack mate