PDA

View Full Version : Moveing the carbon caniste???r

Kenji
28-01-2007, 06:15 PM
On my 94 golf vr6 I want to move my carbon canister to the other side.(From the air box side to the other side to free up some space)
Does any one know any good threads for moving the canister to the other side??
I am trying to avoid the hassle of having to remove the whole bumper bar just to check what the right thickness is for the tubing that connect to the canister, does any one know what are the thickness and how much tubing I have to buy??.

If any one has any advise on this topic or any experiences
Please let me know It will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!

monkeysrus
29-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Have a hunt on vwvortex. There are some DIY's there. If you have no luck im sure i have one at home. I moved mine to get my bonrath CAI in. Is pretty easy.:)

golf3
29-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Just throw it away...i did...

DubSteve
29-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Just throw it away...i did...

Isn't that the emmissions canister though?

Try this though it was started a while ago :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=2669

Bug_racer
29-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah its one of the first emmissions requirements on cars back in 76 /77 ????

If I was to relocate I wouldnt put it too far away from its original location , it just doesnt look good having 2 fuel line size hoses running from one side of the engine to the other , then there is the " how effective is it running that distance ????

Kenji
29-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah its one of the first emmissions requirements on cars back in 76 /77 ????

If I was to relocate I wouldnt put it too far away from its original location , it just doesnt look good having 2 fuel line size hoses running from one side of the engine to the other , then there is the " how effective is it running that distance ????

It seems as though most people put it on the other side so you think this could possibly be not so good??

Golfer
29-01-2007, 12:18 PM
If u don't wanna move the canister you have other options. I just bumped up a useful thread for you Kenji (the one Steve Mk3vr6 put a link through for) you should check out my pics on the last page...

Cheers
John

Kenji
29-01-2007, 02:22 PM
If u don't wanna move the canister you have other options. I just bumped up a useful thread for you Kenji (the one Steve Mk3vr6 put a link through for) you should check out my pics on the last page...

Cheers
John

I pulled out the air box today to have a look.
I would prefert to do it your way golfer but with the vr6
Between the starter and the grill(bumper) is very crammed
I there is a way to do it your way it would save so much damn time and effort!! :)

Golfer
29-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Ask Alex (KI11Z)

He has the exact same setup on his VR6 (that's where i got the idea).

The only difference is that he has removed the canister as well and moved it to the other side of his car and put in two pipes (one in the same place as mine and one down through the canister opening...

I think it's a little bit of overkill, but it sounds mad!!!

Bug_racer
29-01-2007, 04:37 PM
In terms of pipework you might as well put it in the rear , only thing is you have to run wires for the solenoid . I'll look into it when I get another VR6

Kenji
29-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Ask Alex (KI11Z)

He has the exact same setup on his VR6 (that's where i got the idea).

The only difference is that he has removed the canister as well and moved it to the other side of his car and put in two pipes (one in the same place as mine and one down through the canister opening...

I think it's a little bit of overkill, but it sounds mad!!!

This dude has two intakes and said if like a plastic bag gets caught there it will stall the engine, I think thats a legit statement and I would like to try and have 2 intake ducts.

Man VW make every thing difficalt :(

golf3
30-01-2007, 08:16 AM
It's not difficult...

There is theory behind everything they do...Albeit daft at first!