PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Dimming interior rear-view mirror

ox518
04-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi All,

Mine automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror seems does not work sometimes. I mean, sometimes I can see the head light of the rear car is green shown on the mirror but sometimes does not and as normal bright.

When I was picking up my car, the dealer told me that I can adjust the level of dimming. How can I adjust that? I can't find such information from the user manual.

Many Thanks

blutopless2
05-09-2009, 07:16 AM
if it was available it should be in the manual. i thought the mirror does it on its own depending upon how close the car is behind you.

RECRUT
05-09-2009, 08:16 AM
the mirror is just on or off.

Mine has never let normal light through. Take it back to the service department as it's warranty.

_Dru.

Cam
05-09-2009, 09:15 AM
I've had that happen a few times on mine.
Generally I just turn it off then on, then give it a few minutes and it progressively darkens down.

Schnapp
05-09-2009, 11:27 AM
hmm mine seems to work fine, maybe take it to the dealer to have a look at it

ox518
05-09-2009, 03:42 PM
well, I have tested it today under sunshine.

I put my finger at back sensor (facing windscreen), the mirror does dim. However, if I covered my finger at front sensor (facing me), the mirror seems does not dim. Is that normal?

dopey
05-09-2009, 07:44 PM
well, I have tested it today under sunshine.

I put my finger at back sensor (facing windscreen), the mirror does dim. However, if I covered my finger at front sensor (facing me), the mirror seems does not dim. Is that normal?

Yes. The sensor facing the windscreen detects whether there is daylight or not. By covering it, the mirror thought it was night time therefore automatically dimmed the mirror a little. The sensor facing you senses whether there is bright light or not -- ie:the headlights from the cars behind are reflecting and shining into your eyes. When it senses the extra light it dims the mirror further. If you cover the windscreen side with your finger and shine a torch onto the mirror side sensor facing you, you should be able to see what I mean.

ox518
05-09-2009, 07:57 PM
After sunset I went out had a driving. I think it still does not work 100%.

If I covering the back sensor, the mirror will be darker after a few seconds. But it will back to normal after a few seconds being darker.

Maybe need to take to dealer have a look.

Splashalot
05-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Good luck. Mine has never worked - yet the dealer tells me it's normal. Hence I've disable the bl**dy thing.

PassatB6
06-09-2009, 07:33 PM
After sunset I went out had a driving. I think it still does not work 100%.

If I covering the back sensor, the mirror will be darker after a few seconds. But it will back to normal after a few seconds being darker.

If you put your finger over it and it goes darker its working. It doesn't work in the daytime unless its overcast or the light behind you is extremely bright. It goes back to normal when you tested it because you're letting more ambient light in bt taking your finger off - that' s normal.
Check the angle of your mirror ? clean the sensor?

ox518
06-09-2009, 08:05 PM
If you put your finger over it and it goes darker its working. It doesn't work in the daytime unless its overcast or the light behind you is extremely bright. It goes back to normal when you tested it because you're letting more ambient light in bt taking your finger off - that' s normal.
Check the angle of your mirror ? clean the sensor?

The angle should not be a problem as nothing is blocking the view. I will try to clean the sensor tomorrow. Just use wet cloth?

PassatB6
07-09-2009, 12:01 AM
The angle should not be a problem as nothing is blocking the view. I will try to clean the sensor tomorrow. Just use wet cloth?

To be honest, that is simply a suggestion. I could not guarantee that it is effective or even the right thing to do so I can't say how it should be done. I think you'll find that it is working OK and according to its own rules not to how we think it should work. Same goes for rain sensing wipers. Everyone has a different opinion as to whether they work properly or not simply because they have different expectations.

cktsi
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
To be honest, that is simply a suggestion. I could not guarantee that it is effective or even the right thing to do so I can't say how it should be done. I think you'll find that it is working OK and according to its own rules not to how we think it should work. Same goes for rain sensing wipers. Everyone has a different opinion as to whether they work properly or not simply because they have different expectations.

No, I think if there's a bright light, it should dim. My Mark V and Mark VI always dimmed based on the light intensity. Ox's problem sounds like the sensor doesn't react at all.

I would take it into the workshop to be looked at (I know it's a pain but worth it).

ox518
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Guess what, it works now.....

Well, actually it works all the time, but I just realized that when I arrived Sydney.

I thought it did not work just because there are only a few cars on Canberra's road.......which means there were not enough light came through due to only 2-3 cars behind me most time during the night in Canberra.

And finally, the problem has been solved in front of hundreds cars in Sydney.........

Thank you everyone.

mickofoz
07-09-2009, 10:26 PM
We aim to please... :P