PDA

View Full Version : NSW VW Golf Mk1 Lowering Springs!

mrlex
03-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Anyone have or know where i can get a set of lowering springs for a '93 VW Golf Mk1 Cabrio...until i can afford the real deal coilovers.

Cheers
Alex

dubai gti
03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Anyone have or know where i can get a set of lowering springs for a '93 VW Golf Mk1 Cabrio...until i can afford the real deal coilovers.

Cheers
Alex

chop the old ones...:brutal: until you can afford the real deal

lawny
03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
chop the old ones...:brutal: until you can afford the real deal

This does sound like a very good cheap way to do it and it is pretty much the same as getting lowered springs....BUT!!!! unless u want to go over every train line or bigger bump really, really slow, i wouldnt do it. the last time i ever chopped the springs in a car (bogadore) the springs would always fall out on me going over bigger bumps.

u could get away with it a little cheaper than doing the whole coilover thing by getting new shockers to suit the lowered springs. but at the end of the day it would be a waste of money.

just wait until u can afford the real deal dude.

mark

mrlex
03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I was thinking of either cutting or resetting the springs, they dont literally fall out do they...i can imagen they come out of the cup if cut way too much?

Would cutting one or two coils be dangerous because i wouldnt cut anymore than that on a stock spring any way, itll just bottom out on every bump!

lawny
03-09-2009, 10:02 PM
i am pretty sure i cut about 2 -3 coils off mine and the spring did come out of the cup and tore into the side of my tyre.

mrlex
03-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Yummy, sounds nice!

Ill think about it...Cheers for the info.

Jarred
03-09-2009, 10:17 PM
i am pretty sure i cut about 2 -3 coils off mine and the spring did come out of the cup and tore into the side of my tyre.

in your commodore. unless you have specific experience with chopping springs on a golf, i suggest maybe you shouldn't be posting on this topic, commodoore suspension setup is very different to mk 1 golf suspension. Not trying to be rude, but that's just the way I see it.

Re orig post.

If you want springs, yea, get a cheap second hand set is an option, but only if they were cheap (say 100 bucks), you're better off saving for coils than spending too much on springs. IMO.

One of my friends car's had chopped king springs (already lower than stock) and the spring just had to be wired into the bottom on the strut, to keep it in place - should you ever get some massive air! chopped standard springs shouldn't have this issue unless you really go to town on them, ie chopping 1 spring in half and having a half in each side. That'll make you sit really low, but personally I don't think it's overly safe.

I say take 1-2 coils off the standard springs. chances are the shocks are old, and you're not going to have much of a better ride with aftermarket springs, as most will be significantly stiffer than stock as it is.

hth.

mrlex
03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Cheers Jarred, cleared up a few issues there.
I wouldnt cut any more than 1-2 coils.

Thanks

lawny
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
in your commodore. unless you have specific experience with chopping springs on a golf, i suggest maybe you shouldn't be posting on this topic,

hth.

yeah true that.... i did find out today for you though that the tyre factory will compress your springs to almost any size for $280 inc install. bargain if you ask me!

geeza
04-09-2009, 05:39 PM
yeah true that.... i did find out today for you though that the tyre factory will compress your springs to almost any size for $280 inc install. bargain if you ask me!

Thats sounds pretty good value! i had a mate chop mine (very good home equipment and knowledge) I did things on a budget when i got my first golf, a MK1 Gti (22 years old - just returned to the UK from Australia with no CASH) but it worked if you know the right people

My 93 Cabby got 1.5 chopped but i've i've got some proper ones now waiting to go on - FYI i got them for 150 :banana: so maybe keep trying to get some proper lowered spring as they may now be that much

Jarred
04-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Not bad, still nearly 300 bucks though. I wonder how much it would have been less install?

16v_kid
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM

thats what happened to me...but when i saw it pop out i didnt put it on my car..

lucky.

mrlex
04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Cheers for the info guys, maybe i could see if i can have them compressed if i were to give them just the springs!

Im not in a hurry, just wondered if i could do a cheap alternative till i have the funds for coilovers.