PDA

View Full Version : Test Driving the CC

Markybhoy
03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Going to go and test drive the passat CC TDI in about an hours time! :cool:

I'll let you know my thoughts!

Markybhoy
03-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Well, I'm back from driving it and can say that i'm very, very impressed. The dealer gave me a good run in the car, not just the usual 5 minutes, so I got a chance to really feel what the car's like. He wasn't pushy either. A very big plus point! If only they could all be like that...

The most striking thing was how it felt right from the very start. I know that doesn't sound like much but when I do generally test drive cars, I drive like a P Plater as it takes me a good while to get used to it. However, this just felt good. The DSG box is brilliant, seats felt good and the car rolled smoothly over some pretty big bumps (had it in both comfort and sports mode). You get a real feeling that you're in a luxury car.

My only negative is the colour that particular one came in. Autumn brown with the two tone black/cream interior. There are certainly more 'exciting' colours than the brown exterior and with a car like that you at least feel that you'd want it to be noticed (at least I do). The interior was very nice but i've got two kids and they'd kill that cream leather within a week I reckon. Easily solved of course - silver or black exterior with black interior.

I'm going to test a BMW 320d tomorrow......

apom
03-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Save the money and buy the VW, you wont regret it.

skyva
04-09-2009, 01:10 AM
I am keen to hear how you went. I have test driven the new Volvo xc60 T6 (interesting but big and heavy on fuel) and 2010 model Subaru Liberty 3.6R (nice but a bit boring) I am thinking of rounding it out with a test of the Passat CC 3.6 as well. I have test driven the Merc C220 cdi and that was nice, so the Bmw will be interesting to hear about in comparison.

antman
04-09-2009, 08:41 PM
When I tested the TDI I didn't like the ride. I noticed a distinct handling difference between it and the petrol engine. I owned an Audi A4 2.0 TDI (2007 model) and I loved it. I actually wanted to buy the CC in the TDI engine – the 2.0 TDI engine is fine; but the ride was disappointing. I ended buying the petrol engine. I've had my CC for a week, and it's great. But boy, I notice the increased fuel bill...

apom
04-09-2009, 08:43 PM
When I tested the TDI I didn't like the ride. I noticed a distinct handling difference between it and the petrol engine. I owned an Audi A4 2.0 TDI (2007 model) and I loved it. I actually wanted to buy the CC in the TDI engine – the 2.0 TDI engine is fine; but the ride was disappointing. I ended buying the petrol engine. I've had my CC for a week, and it's great. But boy, I notice the increased fuel bill...

agree, i couldn't get the ride in any of the setting to feel composed. It was like the rebound was at odds with the rest of the firmness (if that makes sense)

Markybhoy
04-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok, I test drove the 320d, followed by a 323i (they're now both the same price). What can I say? Those cars are sweet as. Ride, handling and engines are great. The ride in comparison with the CC is the big stand out feature. It is a lot better in the BMW.

Negatives? Snatchy brake when coming to a stop was about it. Oh, and the price. Fair enough, you get a lot more bang for your buck with a VW and the CC really is a nice car.

Honestly, in my heart I really wanted to love the CC over the Beemers as i've owned my VW for 3 years now and I've had no complaints with it. Thing is, there's still a gap between the two and it all boils down to whether i'm willing to pay that big premium.

I'll have to think about it further!

(note: I think some dealers are finally getting it into their heads that a 5 minute test drive is NOT ENOUGH. My CC test drive was 30-45 mins long. The BMW test drive was approx 2 hours. Good effort!).

Luminary
05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Ok, I test drove the 320d, followed by a 323i (they're now both the same price). What can I say? Those cars are sweet as. Ride, handling and engines are great. The ride in comparison with the CC is the big stand out feature. It is a lot better in the BMW.

Negatives? Snatchy brake when coming to a stop was about it. Oh, and the price. Fair enough, you get a lot more bang for your buck with a VW and the CC really is a nice car.

Honestly, in my heart I really wanted to love the CC over the Beemers as i've owned my VW for 3 years now and I've had no complaints with it. Thing is, there's still a gap between the two and it all boils down to whether i'm willing to pay that big premium.

(note: I think some dealers are finally getting it into their heads that a 5 minute test drive is NOT ENOUGH. My CC test drive was 30-45 mins long. The BMW test drive was approx 2 hours. Good effort!).

Pay the premium. It's only money at the end of the day and think of how much you'll regret the CC now that you've driven the BMW and experienced its vast superiority.

I know that I wouldn't pay the premium and didn't, even when I could have because at the end of the day a car is a car. I've driven cars that could embarrass the BMWs performance but am I prepared to own that car, pay its insurance, park it in all the places I go to etc.

Also there are no absolutes here. I drove my brother's BMW 323 Ci in Sydney for a whole week and honestly couldn't understand why he'd paid the money he had. After a week of owning it, neither could he he said. Consider that in Europe the 335i is 1000 euros CHEAPER than the R36; and that will give you an idea of what real parity is and how much BMW is absolutely reaming you.

They have the boutique showrooms, sharply dressed salespeople, slick advertising - which they can afford because their budget is so fat, because people here have been mesmerised into paying way over for these cars.

But yeah, pay the premium. Pay the BMW tax on dumb people ;)

apom
05-09-2009, 09:44 AM
... Consider that in Europe the 335i is 1000 euros CHEAPER than the R36...

Theres your answer right there. Over $50K dearer for the 335 here without the options. If you are happy to pay that sort of money drive the new S4 according to the latest wheels its the new benchmark

tryingavw
05-09-2009, 12:11 PM

i was the same- didnt like the ride. had 2 long drives. wanted to buy a diesel so the v6 wasnt an option. drove and loved the merc220cdi and ended up buying the 320 cdi ( never even drove one!) but the merc deal was really good- about 25k of list.

tryingavw
05-09-2009, 12:14 PM

hey marky dont forget to try the merc 220cdi- its a great drive as well. AND they seem to be doing deal. PM me I can tell you the merc deal.

Markybhoy
05-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Pay the BMW tax on dumb people ;)

Slightly offensive and not required. Feel free to express an opinion but please don't let a thread descend into mediocrity where it'll just get locked...

Rocket36
05-09-2009, 12:55 PM
LOL!!! But Luminary is right. Aussie BMW buyers let themselves get shafted by BMW Australia for absolutely NO reason!!! It doesn't make sense.

Psyk
04-10-2009, 07:30 PM
LOL!

I for one refuse to even consider a BMW simply because of BMW's arrogance at 'reaming' the general public. You've got to hand it to them for fine tuning the art and making you pay more for the "awesomeness" of the BMW logo... :banana:

Here's an example that I saw recently looking at UK prices of some high-end luxo saloons:

BMW M3 Coupe (base model): 53,035 GBP (OTR) vs ~$176K AUD Redbook
Lexus IS-F (base model): 53,381 GBP (OTR) vs ~$132 AUD Redbook
Mercedes C63 AMG: 50,346.59 GBP (OTR) vs ~$148K AUD Redbook

The Lexus is the most expensive in Europe but only by a slight margin and not the extravagent differences that BMW thinks we're gullible enough to pay for. Sure it's a great car but is it $30K better than the Merc and $40K over the Lexus?? Many argue that over in Europe, Lexus is considered to be an extremely prestigous brand.

skyva
04-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I am not sure comparing EU made cars with an import is fair. Cars made in the EU have reduced taxes, which is why certain models of Honda etc are made in UK.
Do you have any data that shows import duties applicable to the Lexus?

Psyk
04-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I am not sure comparing EU made cars with an import is fair. Cars made in the EU have reduced taxes, which is why certain models of Honda etc are made in UK.
Do you have any data that shows import duties applicable to the Lexus?

It's a good point. Here's the quote from Lexus.co.uk's pricing on the IS-F:

IS F

Basic
£46,408.15
VAT
£6,961.21
List Price
£53,369.36
On The Road (OTR) Price*
£54,490.00

No finance quote available on this option, please contact your local centre for a quote

* On The Road Price comprises List Price, £636.17 delivery charge, £24.47 number plate allowance (all inclusive of VAT @ 15%) plus £405 for 12 months' Vehicle Excise Duty and £55 Vehicle First Registration Fee. Lexus Financial Services are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Here's the Merc:

C 63 AMG - - - £50,346.59

Contact your Mercedes-Benz Retailer for full pricing information.

¹ For availability please contact your local Retailer.

* Recommended on-the-road price: these prices reflect the Road Fund Licence applicable to the standard model plus £613.93 additional costs necessary to put your car on the road. Included are a standard UK delivery charge (£489.36 incl. VAT), new vehicle registration fee (£55.00), number plates (£19.57 incl. VAT) and fuel (£50.00 incl. VAT)

VAT is calculated at the standard rate of 15.0%

So even if there are tax implications, UK consumers pay roughly equivalent (varies once options are added) On the Road price for these sedans. I suspect the same for models throughout the rest of the range. Also, even though the Lexus is the more expensive of the three it looks to be fully loaded with options at that price...

Leagle
06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Lol, I was half considering buying an M3 myself but could not look past that ridiculous sticker cost. The C63 (and ISF) is far better value, but I still can't justify spending $130K to $150K on what is essentially still a small car!

To me thats the funny thing with the Australian market (and probably a direct result of the luxury car tax too): there are plenty of cars under $60K. There are plenty of cars over $120K. But there are really very few (IMHO) decent performance cars in between. Its almost an all or nothing proposition.

Its one of the reasons that the Passat CC/R36 really almost has the market to itself (unless you want Aussie grunt).

Psyk
06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Lol, I was half considering buying an M3 myself but could not look past that ridiculous sticker cost. The C63 (and ISF) is far better value, but I still can't justify spending $130K to $150K on what is essentially still a small car!

To me thats the funny thing with the Australian market (and probably a direct result of the luxury car tax too): there are plenty of cars under $60K. There are plenty of cars over $120K. But there are really very few (IMHO) decent performance cars in between. Its almost an all or nothing proposition.

Its one of the reasons that the Passat CC/R36 really almost has the market to itself (unless you want Aussie grunt).

Exactly what I found too... there is a big gap in choices between the $60K-$120K price backet in terms of the available choices... although the 2nd hand market at the price range does open up some options :)

You have to hand it to BMW for over-charging the price on their cars... they remind of Apple products, cool, hip and happening, the in-thing to have but over-priced for essentially what they are :) ...and just because they cost more doesn't necessarily mean it's built better, it's just 'perceived' to be which is probably enough...