PDA

View Full Version : MK3 front grill

Golf Houso
28-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I was thinking of changing the front grill of my MK3 GL to something like a badgeless grill or something more asthetically pleasing than my existing stone chip covered front grill. I found some online but with postage they ended up being over $150AUS for measly grill... Has anyone changed their front grill or is intending to do so?
:?

golf3
28-01-2007, 01:15 PM
My badgeless was made by FK, cost me $130 shipped off ebay, and another $70 to paint the lower section...

It was well worth it...

rayray086
28-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I have been intending to do that, and yeah, most prices are way too expensive on eBay. I was even quoted $70+ USD for postage ONLY, due to the long size. However, VW Driver (http://www.vwdriver.com.au) supposedly stock FK products including the badgeless grilles, so I'm gonna give their distribution centre at North Ryde a check tomorrow or Tuesday and see if they have any, and if so, how much they'll cost.

Other than that, TMTuning sells the 2 slat badgeless for $55USD. I asked about postage and have yet to get a reply back.

Once I get a reply from both places, I'll post up what they say here.

Tim
28-01-2007, 02:14 PM
if a few of u get together and organise it then the price of postage per grille will come down. provided u live locally to eachother that is.

Golf Loon
28-01-2007, 03:49 PM
You have to hassle users on US Ebay. They always just quote you one shipper with insurance and every other last thing. They also seem to have issues with anything beyond the US borders.

The manifold I just bought from the US ended up costing me $60 US to post, instead of the $180 I was originally quoted!

brackie
28-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Don't let them tell you what the shipping costs are. Do your own research and go with the best and cheapest. Also, many ebay sellers give a price for shipping that includes handling and packaging. Usually these guys factor this into their profit and won't budge.

Golf Houso
28-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah that would be great if you could get the price from a local distributor. I think most of us are much to familiar with the stone chip ridden grill, much appreciated thx.

rayray086
28-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. The only thing that puts me off buying from eBay most of the time is the high postage costs. As I mentioned before, I was quoted a postage price of $79 USD for a grille that costs about $30 AUD (provided I win without any other bidders). Just plain ridiculous.

I think most of us are much to familiar with the stone chip ridden grill, much appreciated thx.

My grille is actually not too shabby at the moment, besides a few slightly unnoticeable chips and a broken clip, but I just prefer the badgeless look :P

dannylaroo
14-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I was thinking of changing the front grill of my MK3 GL to something like a badgeless grill or something more asthetically pleasing than my existing stone chip covered front grill. I found some online but with postage they ended up being over $150AUS for measly grill... Has anyone changed their front grill or is intending to do so?
:?

Just incase your still looking...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VW-Golf-III-Mk3-Badgeless-Front-Grill-Kamei-Syle-NEW_W0QQitemZ280081400700QQihZ018QQcategoryZ72456Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

li21
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
What do people mean by painting the bottom part of the grille?

Did all MK3 Golfs (except VR6) come witha plain black grille?

I want to get mine body colored.. silver.. whats the best way to do this?
Can it be bought like that or do I have to take it off and paint it?

Lorenz
01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
The bottom part of the grill (the filler panel) is normally colour coded to the car (how they came from factory and looks stupid otherwise!). If you buy a new grill then it will need painting. You can either do it yourself like I did with a colour matched can of paint or get it done somewhere for around $50+

BEFORE:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/Photo140-1.jpg

AFTER:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/IMG_3384-1.jpg

li21
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks Lorenz,

How easy is it to DIY?
What brand/type of paint and primers did you use?
I'm thinking of doing the whole grille.. theres a while Mk3 at work and the whole grille is white .. looks tops!

Lorenz
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Was easy as. Go down to a reputable Autobahn or Autoshop and get them to match your paint code into a can (paint code is found in the boot on the floor under the carpet usually). Grab a can of plastic primer and metal primer (metal if your using your existing 2 part grill) and a can of clear coat, sand it all back, remove any dust, crap and dirt. Make sure its nice and smooth and rub down with a clean rag and some turps or metho. Few light coats of primer, let it dry and do the same again with the paint and then the clear coat.

Pretty easy, I did it all in a few hours (allowing drying times between coats).

Golf Houso
01-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Whoah back from the dead, I actually could do with a new front grill, the previous owner dented mine. I was having a look on ebay.uk and this came up:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220429995802

I might consider getting this within a few weeks.

bboyskidz
02-07-2009, 12:03 AM
extra items are cheap with combined shipping on that item. i'd get one but i'm not too sure about the whole thing being ABS plastic. would that be an advantage? weight loss? j:

Golf Houso
02-07-2009, 12:25 AM
extra items are cheap with combined shipping on that item. i'd get one but i'm not too sure about the whole thing being ABS plastic. would that be an advantage? weight loss? j:

Lol, at least you can plastic weld it back together if it cracks. I'll see how much that grille and a RR window reg would be...

Oh and also keep in mind, those prices are inclusive of the VAT, you save a few bucks off the total, that seller is very fair I got my coilovers off them.

gldgti
02-07-2009, 08:27 AM
i just bought 2 from the UK (extra cost of shipping was only $10). they are in transit but should be here next week. one for me and one for someone lucky...

who wants it? basically, it cost me $145AUD to get them here, so someone can have one for $70 + postage or local pickup if your around. the central coast/gosford down to north ryde area.