PDA

View Full Version : Brake master cylinder?

Corderoy
02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Brake pedal on '96 Cordoba is spongy - for the want of a better description.

My wife tells me that for some time if she pulled up (say, at traffic lights) the car would brake normally but when the car came to a stop (and she was sitting with her foot on the brake) the brake pedal would then depress about an inch.

Last night the brakes were very weak unless she pumped the pedal.

I bled the brakes today - the old brake fluid was very discoloured, so we bled it all out and replaced with new - but the symptom remains the same.

There is no fluid leaking from wheel cylinders or from the master cylinder/lines.

My next course is either pressure bleeding or just replace the master cylinder and take it from there.

Is a new master cylinder a readily available item or is it off to vw with my firstborn?

Any other suggestions as to cause of the prob?

Cheers...

h100vw
02-09-2009, 09:31 PM
We had a weird one years ago on a MK2 16V. The brakes would be awesome one day and dire the next, we couldn't put it down to a particular set of circumstances.

It took a while but we eventually came to a loose front wheel bearing. The pads were getting knocked further back by the angle the disc was getting to. So you were effectively straightening the wheel up before doing any braking.

Sometimes the seals fail in the master cylinder and the fluid can get past in either direction. You don't lose and fluid but the brakes seem ok on the first push and then sink the longer you hold them.

On my Ibiza the brakes get a bit lazy driving through town all the time. If I stand on them hard a few times, while at sat at the lights the pedal goes really hard and then the brakes are much sharper for a couple of weeks.

Gavin

Corderoy
02-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Sometimes the seals fail in the master cylinder and the fluid can get past in either direction. You don't lose and fluid but the brakes seem ok on the first push and then sink the longer you hold them.

That would fairly accurately describe what's happening.

So, looks like master cylinder or kit if available.

Thanks Gavin, appreciate your input :)

h100vw
02-09-2009, 10:20 PM
No worries mate. I'd go with a new MC, I haven't ever seen a seal kit.

Gavin

Golf Loon
03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I carry the Master Cylinders new if you are in need.

Corderoy
03-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Matt.

Funds transferred to your account.

Cheers...

Corderoy
10-09-2009, 03:15 PM
All done and stops on a zack...

Thanks for the extra plugs Matt. That saved me a bit of running around.

Golf Loon
10-09-2009, 09:58 PM
No worries mate, the plugs cost extra and I reckon should be included in the kit.

I always put em in for mailorder customers to save the pain.

Glad you have brakes again mate.

Corderoy
11-09-2009, 11:19 PM
No worries mate, the plugs cost extra and I reckon should be included in the kit.

I always put em in for mailorder customers to save the pain.

Glad you have brakes again mate.

Thanks mate. Add the cost to my next purchase (shouldn't be too long, lol)

edit: btw do you stock the a/c fan switch. Ours only works on '2' and '4'. I think I read that it's a common prob?
edit2: also looking for a radio aerial?
(Told you it wouldn't be long until my next purchase)

Golf Loon
12-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah got all that.
Is your aerial the guard mount? Or roof mount kind??

Corderoy
13-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah got all that.
Is your aerial the guard mount? Or roof mount kind??

Guard mount. I'll email and get it organised.
Cheers...