PDA

View Full Version : Brake Boosters

Golf Loon
26-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Just thought I`d show you all what I`ve been up to today.
I have a booster and master cylinder from a 1986 audi 80. It is much bigger in diameter than the golf one and the master cylinder is less bulky.

It has a collar which connects it to the audi, with four bolts bolting it to the booster and three bolting it to the car. If I remove this collar, it should match up with the golf studs and fit up to the brake rods.

http://xs30.xs.to/pics/05214/brakeboosteraudi.JPG.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs30&d=05214&f=brakeboosteraudi.JPG)

http://xs30.xs.to/pics/05214/brakeboosteraudi1.JPG.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs30&d=05214&f=brakeboosteraudi1.JPG)

As you can see, i got the collar off. Now to match up to the golf bracket.

http://xs30.xs.to/pics/05214/brakeboosteraudi3.JPG.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs30&d=05214&f=brakeboosteraudi3.JPG)

The audi booster has a longer arm, but it has a thread on at the same point as the golf one. Now if I can undo the rod, I can mount it up....

Easier said than done. Won`t shift. I`ve soaked it in penatrating oil and will try again on the morrow...

imported_brackie
26-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Brake post

Golf Loon
29-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Got the end off the audi booster, but it is still too long. The rest of it all measures up. Am gonna get dubstaMk2 to cut and weld the two rods together.. Here are the two boosters. The Audi one is the larger.

http://xs30.xs.to/pics/05210/twoboosters.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs30&d=05210&f=twoboosters.jpg)

sydneymk1
09-06-2005, 06:29 PM
boys boys boys can i let u in on a little scret
i run a nine inch booster in my project golf for over a year gives a big improvement to braking performance the only thing is u have to be careful about the length of that rod very important can affect pedal height and travel. the other important thing is if u have up graded your brakes to much bigger u also need to up grade to a biggger master cylnder 22mm. i dont know what the booster came from but can tell u where to get it. GTI imports 96531114 im gonna put a post up 4 him

Golf Loon
09-06-2005, 07:23 PM
This is a booster and master cylinder from an Audi 80, which is larger and stronger and so equal to putting a bigger booster from a Golf on. Obviously the rod has to be the same length and does have threads on, however, these were hard to remove without damaging the booster, so welding was easier. Thus you end up with a larger booster and master cylinder for a fraction of the cost of a Golf one from Brian. Last time I spoke to him, he was still promising bigger master cylinders and scirocco brake calipers, but not delivering. I know several people have had issues with dealing with him, and will not comment, but please also be a little restrained in your posts, as we do not want to read his name everywhere.
People know where he is and thats cool, but he is not the only solution and the scene needs new input to grow.

imported_brackie
09-06-2005, 07:42 PM
the only thing is u have to be careful about the length of that rod very important can affect pedal height and travel.

Could this be the source of my problems with my Audi 100 brakes?? Is there a spacer in there that's dropped out or something?

See my earlier posts in Audi "Brake Story".

evorobin
11-06-2005, 10:31 AM
I've just sourced a 22mm master cylinder from the states for cheap. I've heard a bigger servo is also needed to improve braking?

h100vw
12-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Easier said than done. Won`t shift. I`ve soaked it in penatrating oil and will try again on the morrow..

Those rod can be really, really tight. Having done this to many MK1s in my time. I have always managed to undo them. Sometimes a bit of 'heat' helped matters.

I don't think cutting and welding is the best way to go.

When you get the fork off you just need to get the length right by cutting of the correct amount of threads. I just measured from the mounting face of the original to the end of the fork.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious to anyone.

On another note, I fitted a servo off a Vauxhall Senator to my wifes mk1 GTI. This was a marvelous conversion. The assistance was incredible. It would out brake my 270mm disc and 22mm master cylinder and mk2 servo setup easily.

Everything else was std on the car. You only got 2 good stops out of it before it overheated the pads. That could be sorted though. I always forgot about the brakes when driving it, nearly butting the screen and pulling up short at every junction. :lol:

Gavin

Golf Loon
12-06-2005, 10:55 PM
I have unthreaded them before. This one had a really long arm on it, which did not have thread going down the rod far enough. Its welded and functional now, pics soon.

What year vauxhaul senator was it? and did it bolt straight on?
In Australia the vauxhal senator is the holden commodore and there are heaps of em!

h100vw
13-06-2005, 03:48 AM
What year vauxhaul senator was it? and did it bolt straight on?
In Australia the vauxhal senator is the holden commodore and there are heaps of em!

I thought there would be an Australian equivalent. It would have been a late 80s one. I just found the servo in a mates scrapyard. The bolt pattern was the same, I took a chnace that it would fit. Just had to get the rod the right length and 'warm up' the bottom of the expansion tank and jam it in. The bonnet would shut otherwise :shock:

Gavin

imported_brackie
13-06-2005, 07:52 AM
h100vw.....You have a mate with a scrapyard??!! That must be like marrying a deaf and dumb nymphomaniac who's father owns a pub! We must talk re. diesel parts!

h100vw
13-06-2005, 09:17 PM
h100vw.....You have a mate with a scrapyard??!! That must be like marrying a deaf and dumb nymphomaniac who's father owns a pub! We must talk re. diesel parts!

Sorry, to knock you back mate. He got out of the scrappy business a while ago. Bloody tree huggers and legislation. :shock: No more burning tyres to get 10 pence worth of steel out of them. :lol:

He jumped through loads of hoops, he had everything on hard standing, no more than 2 cars high blah, blah. Each time he complied they came up with some more BS to keep him busy.

He sells 4X4s now and just generally trades cars.

Anyway what are you looking for? Anything in particular? Like I said in my PMs I have contacts in VWs round and about. Like Jim at www.awesomegti.com I can't promise discounts but they do ship worldwide all the time.

Gavin

roccodingo
19-06-2005, 08:29 PM
This is a booster and master cylinder from an Audi 80, which is larger and stronger and so equal to putting a bigger booster from a Golf on. Obviously the rod has to be the same length and does have threads on, however, these were hard to remove without damaging the booster, so welding was easier. Thus you end up with a larger booster and master cylinder for a fraction of the cost of a Golf one from Brian. Last time I spoke to him, he was still promising bigger master cylinders and scirocco brake calipers, but not delivering. I know several people have had issues with dealing with him, and will not comment, but please also be a little restrained in your posts, as we do not want to read his name everywhere.
People know where he is and thats cool, but he is not the only solution and the scene needs new input to grow.

Have got a 9" booster from a LHD rocco here, it also uses the longer rod. Checked out with my brake rebuilder about stripping the booster so I could cut and machine a thread on the shorter shaft, but VW's OEM supplier in their wisdom have made the booster unserviceable, there are some internal tabs that have to be destroyed to open up the unit. Still looking for a suitable 9" unit for modding to fit to the Mk1's tho. Haver seen the unit on the Audi 80's also., but it looks to be a small bore ??

Have been getting 10.1 caliper assemblies and bearing housings from the states. LMK if your wanting any .

alex g
19-06-2005, 08:32 PM
5 mniutes welding and the loons booster is ready to go simply as that,the damm thing has been rolling around in the back of my car for a week or two now :lol: :lol: :lol:
yer and dont bag out brian ehh he is the man

silva1
29-06-2005, 11:45 AM
hi there I fitted a 9inch booster tomy mk1 early tis year, what a big improvement. The booster is standard for the late model mk1 cabs, but still runs a 20mm master cylinder. 22mm mastercylinder is proving to be elusive at this stage , well one that fits anyway as I have brought one out of the the US & was to short in the shaft I have not been able to come up with the right one to fit the big booster. the booster made agreat improvement on its own. speaking of holdens ect, do you all know that holden camera calipers (je,jd) will fit directly onto mk1 hubs & fit the 239mm disc's perfect. They are a much bigger caliper

We must be careful when cutting & pasting brake parts, as I am sure that none of it would ever get passed by an engineer

GoLfMan
29-06-2005, 11:59 AM
that camira thing sounds great... itd be cheap parts too and greater stopping power 8)

Golf Loon
30-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Camira Calipers sounds good, cheap option and all that. Makes sense too, as it is really an Opel and so has the German Link. Plus there had to be something good to come off a Camira!

finemk1
30-06-2005, 10:04 AM
We must be careful when cutting & pasting brake parts, as I am sure that none of it would ever get passed by an engineer

that true, and what if it snaps surely u wouldnt want to see your dub flying up over a gutter or reacing for the handbrake, very important bit, or just cover the exposed bit of the booster box mount with a shiny bit of metal, surly no one will ever know.....

or could cut it then get a tread tool and make a new thread good as new.

GoLfMan
30-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Camira Calipers sounds good, cheap option and all that. Makes sense too, as it is really an Opel and so has the German Link. Plus there had to be something good to come off a Camira!

take the front and back calipers and buy discs that bolt straight onto a mk1 at the back?? would that work... there has to be lots of wrecked camiras out there

silva1
30-06-2005, 05:48 PM
i don't know about the rear, but ht efront camera is an easey mod

the camera caliper is made by girlock & made in australia

you will have to redrill the holes in the hub from 10 to 12 mm, but that is it

if you go any more than a 9 inch diameter booster it is rumored that it can foul the geat linkage

pepperwhite
31-03-2006, 07:51 PM
i got a set in bris for $20 from memory. ..brake pads look pretty good.

they are camira rotors with the centres machined out to match golf size. havent trial fitted it all yet but i geustimate it will work.

i didnt have to drill out the stud holes.

this statesman booster ideas sounds promising....

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/03/120664126_d36c7dbe46-1.jpg

yeh, JE camira callipers and the rubber brake line looks like a match too :)

worm
14-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Well I thought I would try the cheap route and get some camira calipers.
Cost me 20 bucks from a wrecker. I think they are JD calipers, from about a 85 - 87 camira. The pads are double the size of the mk1 pads
The caliper fits on, but hits the splash guard (bend/cut it so it fits). The mounting holes for the caliper are bigger (possibly 12mm) so you can either drill out the hub hole to fit bigger bolts or get a spacer made up to fit in the larger caliper holes.

The problem I have is the disc is way to narrow. I doubt the pads would even touch the disc under full braking :? The pads may be a little worn. but they are a fair bit off... i doubt new ones would touch the disc.

So, im guessing that mk1 gti discs are vented? which would make them thicker, hence the pads would touch.
So do camira calipers only fit mk1 GTI discs or is there a way of making them fit a stnd mk1?

cheers
Lee

gtimk5
14-05-2006, 05:03 PM
mk1 Gti discs are vented. I fitted a T3 transporter booster to my Mk1 racecar with a 22m/m master cyl. However we fitted a Mk3 booster & master cylinder to a Mk1 with a bit of mucking around and that was perfect. :D

aliasmk2
14-05-2006, 05:10 PM
ye i think that they would be to thin, i only had the vented discs on with those calipers
i changed from the non vented when i put the camira calipers on
next you will want to do the booster, you can get a 9' booster that will fit on with no mods needed, from a late model mk1 cabrio
regards ian

Golf Loon
14-05-2006, 06:39 PM
You can buy Mk1 GTI disks new, or use mk1, 2 or 3 vented disks or seat, or early audi 80, pre 1986.

worm
18-05-2006, 07:16 AM
You can buy Mk1 GTI disks new, or use mk1, 2 or 3 vented disks or seat, or early audi 80, pre 1986.

Wow... I saw mk2 vented discs in the DBA catalogue but thought they wouldnt fit unless you had different hubs :? ... Ill def fit the camira calipers soonish and post the outcome