PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew - Who does a mean one?

HOLEIN1
02-09-2009, 07:03 PM
hi there everyone... just sucking down a cold one, and was thinking...

who does a home brew?

have always thought about giving it a go, but dont know where to start...

whats the best way to go about it? one of those brew kits you can get from K-Mart? or is there a better way to brew up a winning larger?

i know the basics of it, just see so much opportunity for things to go wrong in terms of mixtures etc... couldnt think of anything worse than licking your lips and waiting a few weeks for it to ferment, and then having to pour it down the drain!

post up any advice, tips etc etc... may make an interesting topic for everyone :)

cheers, dan :)

GTom
02-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Hmm the closest I get to a home brew is a 'nalewka' (sorry don't know what it's called in English)

I just do two types,

Cherries, Spirytus (95% Alcohol), A good Vodka, Sugar.

Basically mix the above leave it for 2-4 weeks and basically drink the liquid which is similar to Wisniowka aka Cherry Vodka (Cordial) and eat the cherries, The cherries absorb most of the spirytus so they are VERY potent (I mean about 5-6 of them in a row can get you tipsy)

The other one is basically the above however done with Lemons instead of cherries and you don't have to wait that long (prob 2 days)...

Both are very strong I'd put it somewhere in the order of 100-120 proof (depending how much Spirytus you put in it)

jettapilot
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
We brew all our own beer.

It started with a Coopers kit from Big W. Everything you need is inside. It's dead easy and lots of fun.

Then get to know a good Home Brew shop. We like Dave's at North Sydney. You can get all your supplies here plus recipes for all kinds of beers.

You'll soon be making your own versions of anything you like to drink and experimenting with different flavours, additives etc.

We make wheat beers, stout, porter. Hogarten, Crackenback, Bees Knees, Redback, Stella Artois - we've made our own versions of them all.

Go for it!

Oh, and of course there's bound to be a forum for home brewers ...

Mrk_Mickey
03-09-2009, 12:26 PM
My old schoolmates are into brewing their own beer. I don't drink the stuff so I don't know how good or bad it is, but it's certainly proven to be fun!

Lorenz
03-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I've been toying with the idea of setting one up myself. I drink enough of it, so might aswell make some and saves giving the local all my money!!
Have tried a few of my mates brews and was pretty amazed at how well they came out.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

jettapilot
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
JoeVr is right.

The beer is better.

Whenever we taste the mass-produced stuff now, we just want to go home and drink our own.

Bit sad really ...

And it's really difficult to stuff it up. Just follow the recipe.

My background is in microbiology, so I guess it helps to understand yeast a bit. The next thing my husband wants to do is grow his own yeast

:beer:

Stan
03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
mmmmm home made alcoholic ginger beer sounds awesome!

dubbed
03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I've been toying with the idea of setting one up myself. I drink enough of it, so might aswell make some and saves giving the local all my money!!
Have tried a few of my mates brews and was pretty amazed at how well they came out.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

hehe I'm the same as you mate.

I just think I'd be too lazy and impatient with the whole having to keep things perfectly clean, temperature controlled etc and then have to wait for it to ferment.

I might see if I can get my housemate back into brewing as he did it a while ago and some of his brews were very nice...