PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Audi 80

tassie_euro_mk1
31-08-2009, 09:42 AM
hey guys,

Im looking at buying an Audi 80 when I sell the VR.

Im leaning towards the 2.3 5 cylinder model and would prefer one in manual.

Did they come out in manual here in Aus? I dont really see any for sale at the moment.

Not really interested in the 2.0L 4 banger at the moment and Im a little worried about the V6 model being fuel thirsty and well...the expenses of a VAG V6 haha.

What do you guys reckon? stick with the 5 cylinder?

cheers
Eric

Jarred
31-08-2009, 10:50 AM
5 cyl's have a very distintive growl to them, which is nice and pretty different these days.

If you're interested, I'm looking at selling my 80 Sport soon too. Probably a bit older than the ones that you're looking at, and it is a 1.8Kjet 4cyl, but it's a go-er.

superfly.nn
31-08-2009, 12:03 PM
There are 80(B4) 2.3 in Manual available here. Usually 1993 onwards.
I had one and it would have been a nice daily if it stayed on the road long enough.
When something goes wrong (and it will with older cars) they cost a lot to fix.
Items to watch for but not limited to: busted heater Matrix core, Check that the radiator has been replaced and general pipes and seals are good.
The manifolds are prone to crack so check for a smell of fumes in the cabin when test driving.

If you are still interested after the above I would suggest a 1989 Audi 90 B3 with the 20 Valve and Quattro.
There is a nice red one on Carsales at the moment and Black one on ebay.
Both are looking for around $5000, which is crazy money for these and I'd say there are cheaper examples around if you search.

mrlex
31-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Hey mate,
My parents drive an '92 Audi 80 Quattro Sedan V6 2.6 Manual, good car, drives well, plenty of poke!
Around 270,000K's on it, had it for 2 years now and had no problems, does around 260Ks on a full tank, about $40. No its not for sale! Just giving some info... ;)

Its all about the Audi 80 Coupe imo!
Good luck.

Cheers
Alex

gareth_oau
31-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Tassie, pop in and say hello at www.ozaudi.com - you might even find one up for sale over there too

tassie_euro_mk1
31-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Much appreciated.

Really liking the idea of the 5 cylinder audi engine. It does produce an addictive note. Owning a VR6, its the reason why I would love a audi 5 cyl :cool:

Like any one, Im after a model that wouldnt be too expensive to fix. Labor is not an issue as my dad is a mechanic, its just the cost of parts.

Quattro is definately appealing to me, just a little worried about finding a decent one in my price range of around $5000.

I noticed that 89 model 20V quattro on carsales. Looks good. Most I would want to pay though, being in tassie i have to take in account flying to the mainland and then the boat for the trip back.

Audi coupe would be ideal :cool:

I pop into ozaudi occasionally and have a scout around. Havnt really spotted anything yet but I will continue to look around on there. Im not rushing to buy one as I want a decent one.

cheers

vwpolo
29-09-2009, 12:41 PM
ive just picked up a 92 80 2.3e auto for less then 4 grand with 7 months rego . all seems ok with it.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5151/dscf0085xz.th.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/dscf0085xz.jpg/)
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3958/dscf0081po.th.jpg (http://img198.imageshack.us/i/dscf0081po.jpg/)

tassie_euro_mk1
02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
looks good vwpolo.

always liked audi's in white.

How are you finding the 5 cylinder engine?

vwpolo
02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
because i got it cheap need to do little bits to get it perfect but fuel wise it's using less then my xtrail was (it was a 2.5 4 cyl) i guess because of the gearing and lower stance . i need to sort out the the auto with a service as once its in top gear doesnt like to change down if above 60 klms till you give it a heavy right foot. then i gues lower it a little and change those awful wheels , but to drive it is like driving a newer skoda ( funny that ) my little miss even wants to learn to drive it .

evorobin
02-10-2009, 08:37 PM
If you are still interested after the above I would suggest a 1989 Audi 90 B3 with the 20 Valve and Quattro.
There is a nice red one on Carsales at the moment and Black one on ebay.
Both are looking for around $5000, which is crazy money for these and I'd say there are cheaper examples around if you search.

$5K for a sorted 90Q is money well spent imo. I picked up a cheaper one and having spent a fair bit getting it sorted I can tell you there's not much change from $5K. Certain parts are Quattro only and rare.

However if like me it HAD to be a Quattro which are all manual and all 20V then hells bells you are in for some fun. Fabulous cars that get under your skin. The only thing I'd swap my 90Q for is an S3 for more easy power but I'd miss that engine note.

They come with massive headers as std and are actually good on fuel due to great mid range torque - more than a VR6. Anyway a word of caution you need to be a real hound sourcing parts.