PDA

View Full Version : TSI Engine Sound

MaccaTSI
31-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Hey All,

How do you all find the sound of the TSI engine at start up and idle?? I don't know if it is just my car... but when I start it, it sounds more like a diesel/tractor. I got out of the car this morning with the engine running to grab something and heard the engine idling, same deal sounds almost like a diesel....

I might record it on my phone tonight to see if it is normal, but how are yours?

ox518
31-08-2009, 10:30 AM
When the car is cold, the sound seems a bit louder, but after 10 sec will be quite....do you normally heat up the engine first?

MaccaTSI
31-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah it's just as the car ticks over I guess, just seems a bit noisy. It really sounds like a diesel car starting up to me....

When I got out of the car and heard it idling it was up to temperature, I'd been driving for about 10 min

cktsi
31-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey Macca... agree it sounds like a diesel if you are standing outside the vehicle. Like Ox518 mine stops that tractor sound after 30secs when it has completed it's initial warm up.

When I first saw the thread title I thought it was about the general sound quality of the TSI... I was about to say I love the sound of the waste gate & the air induction noise under heavy acceleration! :D

If you cannot hear the engine at idle when the engine is fully warmed up (assuming no fan blower and all windows shut) I wouldn't worry about the noise. All the same, if you can put the recording somewhere or put in Youtube, would be interesting to compare it to mine.

MaccaTSI
31-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey Macca... agree it sounds like a diesel if you are standing outside the vehicle. Like Ox518 mine stops that tractor sound after 30secs when it has completed it's initial warm up.

When I first saw the thread title I thought it was about the general sound quality of the TSI... I was about to say I love the sound of the waste gate & the air induction noise under heavy acceleration! :D

If you cannot hear the engine at idle when the engine is fully warmed up (assuming no fan blower and all windows shut) I wouldn't worry about the noise. All the same, if you can put the recording somewhere or put in Youtube, would be interesting to compare it to mine.
Hey cktsi, yeah sounds about the same as mine, as long as it's normal I don't mind :)

I love the noise when accelerating as well!! I like to have the windows down and stereo off every so often just to listen to it :D

I might chuck a video up on youtube anyway just to see how it sounds to yours

Thanks!

Ozram
31-08-2009, 07:15 PM
In the manual it states that a bit of extra noise is normal. It is the oil getting up to the hydraulic tappets. Mine does it too but goes after 10 seconds or so.

glennbot
31-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I took my 118TSI DSG into the dealer and asked them to check the start-up idle. It seems very rough for the first 30sec and then gets a bit better. I was told this is due to the emission controls diverting exhaust gasses back into the intake. They said that the latest ECU firmware improves the missing at idle.
After the upgrade it seemed a little better but it still has a small miss when warm.

Has anyone else noticed this?

cktsi
01-09-2009, 11:09 PM
They said that the latest ECU firmware improves the missing at idle.
After the upgrade it seemed a little better but it still has a small miss when warm.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I did get a little misfiring, but it was sporadic and only exists till the engine warms up. I suppose it's due to the weather conditions (temp, humidity mainly). My old Mark V 2.0 FSI was the same with slight misfiring only during warm up.

I think it's cos the engines do run a little lean.

As I mentioned in another thread (my fuel smell), they did reflash the engine's ECU on my car and I "think" there is less misfiring. Again, only during warm up & doesn't worry me.

On my Mark V 2.0FSI when they reflashed, they increased the fuel slightly at idle... and the trip computer's idle consumption (litres per hr) did show up a larger rate of consumption... so be careful what you wish for ;-)

Schnapp
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes for me its a little rough when starting from cold after a whole night resting in the garage, but after a little bit it settles. Once the engine is warm things loosen up a bit and becomes smoother.