PDA

View Full Version : 2000 tt quattro help

Whubbsie
29-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Convinced my sister to trade here Nissan N-Trail in for 2000 TT Quattro, just wonder is there is any advice I should be passing on to her, like what to watch out for, or any recalls or issues that are common

thanks in advance

sorry for the noob question did search but didn't find anything.

another thing to debate... would it be silly of me to trade my 2008 polo gti for one of these too?

Jmac
29-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Great choice for one, and very tuneable too. Ok the usual stuff mate, timing belt history, service history. They do have issues with sway bars creaking, dash clusters have had their moments.What happens is they get pixelated and so does the radios, you might find all of this has already been done though, being a 2000 model in 09. Keep it well serviced, timing belt i cant stress enough and whilst in there do the water pump. Also haldex service. A good tough car IMO and still look the bollocks. Check what the engine letters are mate, on the white sticker in the service book, if it is BAM then its the high horsepower jobbie which is tops.
Really all the usual stuff, history the main thing mate
Good luck
As for the Polo, Geez mate its awsome bang for you buck too mate, pocket rocket with a very tuneable engine too:banana:
Cheers
Jmac

Whubbsie
29-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Sweet thanks Jmac pretty much what I already I told her, except the BAM bit I didn't know that.
I think I'll wait till she gets hers and decided if I'll swap my polo for one though at the moment I'm very tempted

Great choice for one, and very tuneable too. Ok the usual stuff mate, timing belt history, service history. They do have issues with sway bars creaking, dash clusters have had their moments.What happens is they get pixelated and so does the radios, you might find all of this has already been done though, being a 2000 model in 09. Keep it well serviced, timing belt i cant stress enough and whilst in there do the water pump. Also haldex service. A good tough car IMO and still look the bollocks. Check what the engine letters are mate, on the white sticker in the service book, if it is BAM then its the high horsepower jobbie which is tops.
Really all the usual stuff, history the main thing mate
Good luck
As for the Polo, Geez mate its awsome bang for you buck too mate, pocket rocket with a very tuneable engine too:banana:
Cheers
Jmac

Yevvy
29-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Sweet thanks Jmac pretty much what I already I told her, except the BAM bit I didn't know that.
I think I'll wait till she gets hers and decided if I'll swap my polo for one though at the moment I'm very tempted

Hey mate, i'm not a mechanic, but i've read a good deal about tts before i got my bora, and i found a couple of articles saying that earlier models had a problem with stability/changing lanes at higher speeds (don't know if this relates to a quattro tt) they would snap into oversteer with no warning. it was sorted out later with a stiffer suspension tune and addition of a spoiler on the rear. so if i were you i'd make sure it has a spoiler ;) hope this helps a bit

Whubbsie
29-08-2009, 11:40 PM
ah cool, thats a good one to know, would be changing the suspension to coils for my sister so hopefully that would help.

Hey mate, i'm not a mechanic, but i've read a good deal about tts before i got my bora, and i found a couple of articles saying that earlier models had a problem with stability/changing lanes at higher speeds (don't know if this relates to a quattro tt) they would snap into oversteer with no warning. it was sorted out later with a stiffer suspension tune and addition of a spoiler on the rear. so if i were you i'd make sure it has a spoiler ;) hope this helps a bit

Can Quattros be lowered as much as fwd only TTs?

jasn78
30-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Yevvy, that issue u where talking about i think you will find occurred when the driver was backing off after overtaking and due to lack of down force on the backend cause it to roll.

The fix was the later models all had a small rear wing attached to the back. Mind you we are talking autobahn speeds here not just 100km/h

h100vw
30-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Yevvy, that issue u where talking about i think you will find occurred when the driver was backing off after overtaking and due to lack of down force on the backend cause it to roll.

The fix was the later models all had a small rear wing attached to the back. Mind you we are talking autobahn speeds here not just 100km/h

Yeah it happened in germany at ludicrous speed. I haven't seen a TT without a spoiler fitted in a really long time. I am sure there was a recall on it.

Gavin

Yevvy
30-08-2009, 12:15 PM

Yeah thats what i meant. but i mean do you rather drive one knowing its stable at higher speeds or not. i know which one i prefer. plus the one without the spoiler looks really wierd :nana:

Gavin, yeah they are quiet rare, i've seen only one recently

h100vw
30-08-2009, 12:26 PM
If you saw one without a spoiler, I'd be calling Audi to see if they'll fit one up.

You can bet your life the guy that spun out on the Autobahn was going flat chat when it let go.

I still remember the first TT I ever saw, parked outside the apartment block I was staying in, in Oslo. Black with baseball stitched seats, noice!!

Gavin

Yevvy
30-08-2009, 01:13 PM
If you saw one without a spoiler, I'd be calling Audi to see if they'll fit one up.

You can bet your life the guy that spun out on the Autobahn was going flat chat when it let go.

I still remember the first TT I ever saw, parked outside the apartment block I was staying in, in Oslo. Black with baseball stitched seats, noice!!

Gavin

heh i'm happy with my vr6 powered, vw bodied 4 door tt :D anyway, back on topic

IanJ
30-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I thought the early recall issue wasn't just the spoiler there were suspension mods too.

If it hasn't had it done I'd be looking into what can be done! My 2000 TT came with mods already done and it was very stable on the autobahns :D But I understand the premodded cars went round circuits quicker in skiled hands (I got rid of my TT for a Subaru as I was doing more track days then and the TT really disappointed)

Just found this
2000 Audi TT Recall ID from NHTSA: 99V300000
Auto Recall Date: 11/10/1999
Vehicle Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER ARM
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 6200
2000 AUDI TT Defect Summary:
PASSENGER VEHICLES. IN SHARP HIGH SPEED TURNS OR ABRUPT LANE CHANGE MANEUVERS AT SPEEDS SUBSTANTIALLY ABOVE POSTED SPEED LIMITS, AND DEPENDING UPON ROAD CONDITIONS, PRECISE STEERING RESPONSE MAY BE DEMANDED TO RETAIN DIRECTIONAL STABILITY.
Defect Consequence:
IN THE EVENT CONTROL IS LOST, A CRASH MAY OCCUR RESULTING IN INJURY.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT STABILIZERS IN FRONT DRIVE AUDI TT'S AND THE FRONT AND REAR STABILIZERS IN AUDI TT'S EQUIPPED WITH QUATTRO DRIVE. A MODIFIED CONTROL ARM WILL BE INSTALLED IN FRONT TOGETHER WITH FIRMER SHOCK ABSORBERS IN FRONT AND REAR. IN ADDITION AUDI WILL INSTALL A REAR SPOILER.
Notes: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA,INC, KX/ZX

from here
http://www.autobuyguide.com/2000/12-aut/audi/tt/recalls/index.html

Jmac
30-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah it happened in germany at ludicrous speed. I haven't seen a TT without a spoiler fitted in a really long time. I am sure there was a recall on it.

Gavin

Was nicknamed the widow maker for just that. Recall was sways and spoiler. And yeah most have been done
Jmac

Whubbsie
30-08-2009, 10:23 PM
well i don't think I have to worry too much about my sister driving at autobahn speed

is there a reason while there is only black and silver ones up for sale where there not any other colours?

FLAUNTT
22-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes the control arms were compulsory but the rear wing was optional so this is why you can still find TT's without them.I think ESP was also optional in this recall.My 99 TT quattro only had the suspension done and has never had a wing on the back of it.

VinceNoir
25-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Whubbsie:

For the first year or two of TT in Australia at least, they were only available in Silver (Silverlake?), Solid Blue (Denim) and Solid Black. There were also three interior colours: Grey, black and blue. So you generally saw:

Black/Black
Black/Grey
Blue/Blue
Blue/Grey
Silver/Black
Silver/Grey

You could order it in any combination in theory, but when my dad ordered his Silver/Blue quattro in 2001, the first dealer wouldn't do it and the second dealer stuffed the order the first time around. The Silver/Blue was actually a really sweet combo but its pretty rare to see.

As for issues the only problem was a faulty water temp gauge, replaced under warranty.