PDA

View Full Version : What are the laws with stance

DUBY
29-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Guys

As you may or may not know I could be taking my mk2 over with me but I will be making some changes in the uk so that I can pass your road tests.

My question is " whats the rules out there with regards to wheel poke and tyre stretch" for example the rules in the ul state that the treaded part of the tyre must be under an arch.

In advance

Many thanks

Golf Houso
29-08-2009, 04:16 PM
The wheels and tires cannot exist outside the guard, so poke is out, legally anyway :P

jayjay
29-08-2009, 11:37 PM
put on some corrado 15" steelies and say you've got 5 spare wheels ( wide ass poke stretch tuck wheels ). ;)

Spyda
30-08-2009, 12:13 AM
put on some corrado 15" steelies and say you've got 5 spare wheels ( wide ass poke stretch tuck wheels ). ;)

And then ill buy the carrado steelies off ya haha

DUBY
03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/100_4486-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/100_64181-2.jpg
this legal then?

gtimk5
03-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I reckon they will can you as the front section is way to close to the road, you may be lucky but I doubt it.
Adjustable coilovers?? Wind them up and get it passed, ten drop it again mate.
Andrew

WABIT
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
as everyone said, poke is illegal, so is mounting wrong sized tyres on wide rims, so no HUGE stretch either....

dom

No457 Snowy
03-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Andrew has a good point, minimum ground clearance is 100mm from the road surface to any part of the vehicle chassis.

Pretty sure that rule holds for most States in Oz.

Snowy :)

h100vw
03-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Andrew has a good point, minimum ground clearance is 100mm from the road surface to any part of the vehicle chassis.

Pretty sure that rule holds for most States in Oz.

Snowy :)

I'd say your a lot more likely to have the sump off down here than in London. I cringe often in all three of my standard suspension vehicles.

Defo get yourself into vw for some 15inch steelies and 195/50s, you'll have no problems with them.

Factory big wheels on some MK5GTIs mean you have to get some poxy little extensions added to make them legal.

Gavin

WABIT
03-10-2009, 10:05 AM
or just bring some G60 arches with you

dom

Mrk_Mickey
03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Great looking car dude :) I don't see why that wouldn't pass a normal rego test here so as others have said throw some steelies on and raise it a bit if you can and you're sweet.

Bboy_Sparx
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Or just pass it in RWC form, then when you get home, put your good wheels on and slam it again...

mrlex
03-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Ide raise it up if possible, and put some spare rims on it as everyone is saying...they probably wont like the tyre stretch. There pretty strict!
Stick the stretch tyred rims in the car and swap when you get the pass!

gregozedobe
03-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I hope some of the people here that suggest you get it legal, pass the RW test and then change it back so it is illegal will help you out with the fines etc if you then get pulled over and done for driving an unroadworthy car :rolleyes:

It annoys me when people knowingly drive a car that is unroadworthy (ie illegal), then whinge and say how it is unfair and they are being picked on if they get pinged. "You want to play, you have to be willing to pay."

/rant

rayray086
03-10-2009, 11:01 PM
^ Fair enough comment.

Best be safe raising it a bit and slapping on steelies to get it into Australia. Mk2 looks ace though.

schoona
03-10-2009, 11:16 PM
I agree with Greg to a point. Excessive slam (talking not on airbags here) is hard to have everyday. I don't see the point of not supporting poke/stretch or a pod filter etc because some bloke in a white coat thinks its unsafe. I haven't seen anywhere proof that it is...?

DUBY
04-10-2009, 02:52 AM
So in theory if I have the arches pulled to cover the 3mm of alloy poke I should be ok then? The car is on coils at the moment so raising the car for your test hight then dropping again isn't an issue. The drop is not as excesive as it looks, need to check the actual hight but I get a lot of stick because it looks like a 4x4next to others but I like to drive the thing and at the moment I have the compromise of the look I want and no rubbing

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/b25e609f1-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/DSC_2141-2.jpg

I just can't belive rules are not bent out there often after seeing some of the jap stuff on the roads out there.

I'm running 8" barrels with 175-50-16's at the front and 195-45-16's at the rear, the rear tyre is streached as per first picture but doesn't look that bad, the front I imagine would be fun with the right police officer

Looks like I'll have to run with poxy porsche rims or back to 16" RS's if it does go out there.

Also need to find a dub frendly garage that doesn't faint at having to work with a moded ride in sydney, talking of which if any one has any names please pass them on, will be there for 3 months from the 1st of december and want to ask questions while I'm out there

Bboy_Sparx
04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
I hope some of the people here that suggest you get it legal, pass the RW test and then change it back so it is illegal will help you out with the fines etc if you then get pulled over and done for driving an unroadworthy car :rolleyes:

It annoys me when people knowingly drive a car that is unroadworthy (ie illegal), then whinge and say how it is unfair and they are being picked on if they get pinged. "You want to play, you have to be willing to pay."

/rant

Having a car thats a bit too low is a lot better than some douchebags' exhaust hanging off, oil leaking all over the place, headlights pointing in different directions, indicators not working, wheels falling off etc

Also, see my post in general discussion about the legality of certain high end products!!! HAHAHA!

WABIT
04-10-2009, 11:10 AM
dude, rules are bent, people just always make the bad news "look bad"

im poking nearly 30mm on the rear with insane stretch and its my daily driver, my sump scrapes everywhere as its only 50mm off the ground, ive been driving it like that for over a year without any troubles, i say, bring it over as is, then maybee find some mk3 steels with decent rubber, hell... you might not even need to wind the coils up, all these people are tell you is that, "to be safe, you need to do those things" but sometimes its just not "that" important...

hope this helps mate
dom

Golf Loon
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Happy to help you with advice and work on your Mk2.

I`m a Pom originally so have actual knowledge of Mk2s and run a VW workshop in SW Sydney.

Comeout for a chat when you are down under if you like.
Matt