PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan Quirks

Torn
26-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Thought i'd create a post with a few of the quirks i have found in the workshop manual and from reading other places around the net.

Speedo
The Speedo is incremented every 10km/h from 0-70 km/h then every 20km/h with the same spacing

Auto Transmission
If you touch the brake (so the lights come on) the A/T will select progressivly lower gears and engine breake

Rear Fog Lights
There is provision for 2 rear foglights, however only the drivers side one is active

Headlights
When using Auto Headlights the Park Lights only stay on when the key is left in the ignition

Headlights come on when you unlock the car if auto headlights are turned on

Wipers

A.P.P.
The windscreen wiper system is equipped with an APP function (alternating park position system).

With the APS function, the wiper arm is moved up slightly once it has reached the lowest position. This occurs every second time the wiper system is switched off.

Serivce Position
Also the wiper "service position" is activated by turning the key On and OFF and then flicking the wiper stalk to put the wipers up so they can be pulled off the windscreen without hitting the bonnet.

Rear Wiper
The rear wiper won't work with the tailgate open.

The rear wiper will wipe if you've turned on (and off) the front windscreen wipers some seconds before and select reverse

Clock

To set Time with buttons below rev counter:
Press the left button h -1- to set the
hours. Press the button only briefly to
advance the time one hour.
– Press the right button min -2- to set the
minutes. Press the button briefly to
advance the time one minute.

To Set Time And Date Using Windscreen Wiper
– Switch on ignition.
– Press button -2- for 2 seconds to open
the main menu.
– Press button -2- to select the menu
“Settings” and confirm using button -1-.
– Press button -2- to call up the menu
“Time” and confirm using button -1-.
– Now mark the menu option “Hours” by
pressing button -1-, set correct hour
using button -2- and confirm with button
-1-.
– For the menu option “Minutes” it is the
same procedure.
– The menu “Settings” can be closed via
the menu option “back”.
– Now select “MFI” for actual display and
confirm this using button -1-.

Electric Windows
Windows Can be raised or lowered by holding down the lock or unlock buttons on the remote

The automatic opening and closing features for the electric windows do not function after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

After batteries have been disconnected and reconnected the roll-back function of the electric window regulators is disabled. Severe pinching injuries could result!
The following work description applies to the front left window regulator. Reactivate the other window automatic functions in the same manner by operating the respective switch in the driver door.

– Switch on ignition.
– Close all doors and windows completely.
– Hold the front left side window in “closed” position, by pulling
and holding switch (for longer than 1 second).
– Pull switch again for 1 second. The side window must now go up or down by itself when switch is briefly pulled or pressed.
– Switch off ignition

Imobiliser
The Tiguan Uses a 4th Gen Imobiliser Some points to remember:

All (including re-ordered) vehicle keys are pre-coded to a specific vehicle in the factory and can only be adapted to this vehicle.

It is no longer possible to use other branded keys in Volkswagen vehicles.

If a door is open when you lock the car, the indicators wont flash until the last door is closed

Odometer

Odometer Cannot be modified by VAGCOM (ie. wound back), however it can be wound forward if the replacement odometer has less than 100KM on it

Compass Module
Possibly only for models with RNS510? Will need to test and confirm

To activate the compass module the rear window heating must be learnt as follows:

Activation must be performed when the engine is not running.
– Switch on ignition.
– Wait 10 seconds.
– Switch on rear window heating.
– Wait 10 seconds.
– Switch off rear window heating.
– Switch off ignition

Centre Console
the centre armrest is adjustable for and aft as well as up and down.

Auto Transmission
If you touch the brake (so the lights come on) the A/T will select progressivly lower gears and engine breake

Please try to keep this thread as short as possible. I created a new thread named "Ideas for Tiguan Quirk posts" post your questions and comments there.
We could make this thread sticky.

Thanks To:
NZTiguan
Sanman
Transporter

Maverick
26-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Electric Windows
The automatic opening and closing features for the electric windows do not function after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

After batteries have been disconnected and reconnected the roll-back function of the electric window regulators is disabled. Severe pinching injuries could result!

The following work description applies to the front left window regulator. Reactivate the other window automatic functions in the same manner by operating the respective switch in the driver door.
– Switch on ignition.
– Close all doors and windows completely.
– Hold the front left side window in “closed” position, by pulling
and holding switch (for longer than 1 second).
– Pull switch again for 1 second. The side window must now go up or down by itself when switch is briefly pulled or pressed.
– Switch off ignition

Does it do this for all windows after you do one window or do you have to do all the windows???

The way it works on the Golf and I would have assumed the Tiguan is that after the battery has been disconnected the windows loses the upper and lower position for the auto open/close function and this is set by winding the window down and back up (for each window). After this is done and providing it's turned on in the MFD you can use one touch open and close.

Torn
26-08-2009, 11:09 PM
It was the same on my polo as the golf, i dont have my Tig yet so unable to test, this info was from the workshop manual, the way i read it was that its the funtion that prevents the window from stopping if something is jammed in there, ie. your arm. and also the auto up/down, this is also for the 2010 spec tig

Sanman
18-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I found out when wiring in the power for the reverse camera - the rear wiper won't work with the tailgate open.

The rear wiper will wipe if you've turned on (and off) the front windscreen wipers some seconds before and select reverse

If one door is open and you lock the car, the indicators won't flash confirmation until the final door is closed

The auto selects progreesively lower gears and engine brakes if you touch the brake pedal (so that the brake lights come on)

The speedo increments in 10km per hour segments up to 70km per hour, then magically jumps to 20km/h segments (with the same spacing)

The front door check strap holds the door at three positions - helps you get out of the car in tight parking spaces - but the rear doors only have two positions (half way and fully open) as per most cars

Park lights stay (only) on with the ignition off and key in when set to auto headlights

Headlights come on when car is unlocked with auto headlights on. I think they go off when the key is inserted, or time out.

There is provision for two rear foglamps, but only the one behind the driver is active

clip
19-11-2009, 10:27 PM
don't remember reading about this in the manual and never had it happen before, but might not have had the same sequence of events...

tonight on the way home I had the auto hold on which I do most times because of a hill start that I get caught on 7 out of 10 times. Anyway, when I got home and switched off the car in the garage, the park brake activated by itself. As I say, it's never done it before. Can only guess that because autohold was activated and I didn't turn on the handbrake myself before switching off, the car did it for me?

suparockin
30-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Proved that you can have a DVD running on the RNS510 while driving, you just press the little 'i' button in the top right can corner of the unit then quickly press the 'TONE' button.

Not sure if the operation of a DVD screen is entirely legal whilst driving, so the obvious cautions about safety etc I used it yesterday so I could listen to a concert recording and just watch the screen when at the lights etc.

Don't think I'll use it much, but a quirk/trick nonetheless.

Disclaimer
VWW cannot be held liable for the consequences of attempting to use any of the mentioned quirks/tricks etc.

dogbowl
23-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Bonnet release is on passenger side footwell.

Tail lights come on when unlocking, and auto headlights is set on.

Can not set multi-function display when driving, but can use the screen for other functions.

Can set the light level for footwell lights.

Heating ducts for rear passengers, under front seats.

Curry hooks on b-pillars.

Todd
25-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Proved that you can have a DVD running on the RNS510 while driving, you just press the little 'i' button in the top right can corner of the unit then quickly press the 'TONE' button.

Not sure if the operation of a DVD screen is entirely legal whilst driving, so the obvious cautions about safety etc I used it yesterday so I could listen to a concert recording and just watch the screen when at the lights etc.

Don't think I'll use it much, but a quirk/trick nonetheless.

Disclaimer
VWW cannot be held liable for the consequences of attempting to use any of the mentioned quirks/tricks etc.

Has anyone else tried this as I tried last night and did not work, I held down the 2 buttons at the same time whist a DVD is playing and driving over 15kph.

Tedhaggie
17-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Have decides to tabulate the VW speedo error issue
Started on my Caddy , because GPS in it has a Trip computer - setup the highway portion of my daily commute as test trip, used 2 GPS confirm speed
-a straight 13km with 1 dogleg over a railway line

Caddy default pulse setting 1
pulse......GPS k/h....GPS KM.....Speedo..ODO...S%error......D%error....DIFF%
22188/1.....95............13.0........100.....13.0....+5 .26%.......0%.........5.26%
21848/4.....89............13.0........100.....13.9...+12 .35%.....+6.92%....5.43%
22532/7.....97............13.0........100.....12.7....+3 .09%......-2.30%....5.39%

will do the Tig, when I can separate it from "she who must be obeyed"

but I think the jurys in
1. there is a deliberate 5+% error between the speed shown and what the computer really knows
2. the pulse adjustment affects both speedo and odo
3. using the adjustmsnt you could fit 7% over size tyres to the caddy and still be ok

unfortunately the Tig default is 4 ( the lowsest available)

DJY
24-02-2010, 10:04 PM
If you leave the indicator on as you turn off the car...
you get a beeping noise advising you (it took me ages to work this one out)!!!

BUT it leaves that side park light on (which ever side indicator you left turned on). Probably handy for street parking in city areas.

tiguanfan
27-05-2010, 04:06 PM
This is true. I stalled our new tig with the autohold on, and had to turn the key on and off again (TDI). The car automatically turned on the handbrake! I drive frequently with autohold on, and every time I arrive in the garage and switch the car off, the handbrake comes on automatically.

don't remember reading about this in the manual and never had it happen before, but might not have had the same sequence of events...

tonight on the way home I had the auto hold on which I do most times because of a hill start that I get caught on 7 out of 10 times. Anyway, when I got home and switched off the car in the garage, the park brake activated by itself. As I say, it's never done it before. Can only guess that because autohold was activated and I didn't turn on the handbrake myself before switching off, the car did it for me?

brenno
21-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Auto Transmission

Listed as a feature, but in reality is exceedingly annoying.

Dawdling down a gentle hill, you apply brakes to prevent speed rising. Gearbox changes down a gear and provides more than intended deceleration. To compensate, you lift the brakes. Gearbox then changes up a gear in retaliation, speed rises.

maca
15-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Tailgate lights will switch off when it's opened.

blutopless2
28-07-2010, 09:04 AM
something i have noticed with the manual 125 ... pretty much no engine braking... take your foot off the accelerator and the car will slow down quite slowly as compared to our previous polo gti, its almost like its in neutral.
for my liking 1st gear is too short.

team_v
28-07-2010, 09:22 AM
something i have noticed with the manual 125 ... pretty much no engine braking... take your foot off the accelerator and the car will slow down quite slowly as compared to our previous polo gti, its almost like its in neutral.

Agree completely.
1st gear is very short, especially with the APR enhancements.

Engine breakign is almost non existant and i have been caught out a few times over the limit by about 5km/h becasue i was expecting it to slow down more.

Cruise control can be adjusted by 1km/h increments using the lever on the end of the indicator stalk when it is engaged.

NZTiguan
28-07-2010, 10:55 AM
First gear is NOT too short if you ever use your Tig for its "purpose" off-road !!! It's the only way you can achieve any reasonable off-road performance without a dual ratio box.

Cheers

Transporter
28-07-2010, 11:25 AM
It is OK on diesel auto, :P I even like "S" mode especially handy during running in period, warm up a bit in "D" first, then onto sports mode. I love it!

blutopless2
28-07-2010, 11:47 AM
First gear is NOT too short if you ever use your Tig for its "purpose" off-road !!!

that's why i said.....

Pullstarter
30-07-2010, 01:39 PM
I reckon that most people wouldn't take their Tig offroad, I know I don't, too scared of scratching it LOL.

Tigger
01-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I agree...it isnt really an offroad vehicle as such....
So First gear is definatley too short. It should be able to wind out a lot more than it does.

My previous Daihatsu GTVi wound out to 7000rpm in first with no flat spot which gave it a HUGE jump against anything at the lights. Then picking second was a breeze from there.
The first time I drove my manual 125 Tig, I thought I had slipped on the clutch or something when I hit that flat spot in first. I now realise I have to pick second earlier than I was used to. Had to change my driving style quite a bit.

NZTiguan
02-08-2010, 07:02 AM
I agree...it isnt really an offroad vehicle as such....
So First gear is definatley too short. It should be able to wind out a lot more than it does.

My previous Daihatsu GTVi wound out to 7000rpm in first with no flat spot which gave it a HUGE jump against anything at the lights. Then picking second was a breeze from there.
The first time I drove my manual 125 Tig, I thought I had slipped on the clutch or something when I hit that flat spot in first. I now realise I have to pick second earlier than I was used to. Had to change my driving style quite a bit.

For crying out loud the Tiguan IS designed as a small SUV and that's WHY it has a LOW first gear. If you want to race in it, that's fine, and you do the modifications required, different suspension, tires, tuning, intercooler, exhaust, etc etc etc including if you REALLY want to get carried away, different gear ratios. No reason why those of us who DO want to use the Tiguan as originally intended shouldn't be able to, and we NEED the low first gear OK.

Tigger
02-08-2010, 08:28 AM
OK...OK Derek...didnt mean to offend you mate.

You are right, it is a SUV, not a race car. I get it. Thing is, so many of us will never really take it offroad. We chose it because it is such a great road holding vehicle with more space than smaller "regular" cars.

It would be nice to have an optional gearbox ratio to choose from for those who will not use it to go offroad and chase sheep. (just kidding mate)

NZTiguan
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
OK...OK Derek...didnt mean to offend you mate.

No offense taken !! I won't say a word about the Rugby, honest I won't !!!! ;-)

Cheers

clip
02-08-2010, 07:50 PM
You are right, it is a SUV..
SUV = Sports Utility Vehicle: "a high-performance four-wheel drive car built on a truck-like chassis" (excuse the 'truck' - but we know what they mean).

jcubed
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
SUV = Sports Utility Vehicle: "a high-performance four-wheel drive car built on a truck-like chassis" (excuse the 'truck' - but we know what they mean).

Hi All,

The SUV debate in terms of what it really means, will rage on for eternity.

Here is a lighter - some would say cynical - take on it, from an article I submitted to a local motoring magazine: "How to choose an SUV".

As the definition of an SUV is rather vague, a number of manufacturers depend on this ambiguity to get their “car” certified as such. From my humble experience, 4-wheel drive and traction control does not an SUV make – an example of where the feathers don’t make the bird, or clothes the man.

E.g., a typical conversation between buyer and dealer regarding SUV qualities could go something like this: What are the capabilities of this Sport Utility Vehicle? Well sir, just the other day I put my paddle ski on the roof rack and my son’s bicycle in the back – these are our respective sports – so as an Suv, pretty good.

From a utilitarian viewpoint, just the week previously, my wife bought two chairs at a car boot sale, and brought them home in this very car. Later that same afternoon, I managed to squeeze 10 (ten!) green bags with garden refuse into the boot (although I had to fold ONE rear seat section down) and took it to the dump. So this proves its abilities as an sUv.

Yes, but how good is it off-road? Well sir, we don’t rightly know, as thus far, you are the first person to ask that question. But if you read this nice glossy brochure we have here, you will see that it has everything you need in order to go off-road, after all, it IS an suV, and you know the brand.

So for the purposes of this article, a softroader is defined as an SUV without low range. The Forester is included in this category, as when you do the sums, low-range first gear has a similar ratio (km/h per 1000 rpm) than first gear on a number of current SUVs with six-speed transmissions.

As you can see, here we split SUVs into off-roader and softroader categories, as per the definition in the last paragraph above. The Tiguan (and the LR2, X-Trail and Forester are softroaders; the Suzukis NOT).

JJJ

NZTiguan
04-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Thanks jcubed (or triple j as I've come to know you ;-) ) for your (as always) extremely lucid description !!

Cheers

PS: Always great to see you're still about and that the LR2 seems to be doing the job for you.

clip
04-08-2010, 06:04 PM
[COLOR="red"]E.g., a typical conversation between buyer and dealer regarding SUV qualities could go something like this: What are the capabilities of this Sport Utility Vehicle? Well sir, just the other day I put my paddle ski on the roof rack and my son’s bicycle in the back – these are our respective sports – so as an Suv, pretty good. JJJ
No see that's where you lost me staight up:- while the "S" on the SUV Tiguan does stand for "Sports", it doesn't mean it can carry sporting equipment, it means it can go around corners, stop and accelerate from 0 -100k/h in around 6 seconds. Therefore, other than the XT Forester, none of the others have any right calling themselves an SUV at all.

Transporter
04-08-2010, 06:13 PM
No see that's where you lost me staight up:- while the "S" on the SUV Tiguan does stand for "Sports", it doesn't mean it can carry sporting equipment, it means it can go around corners, stop and accelerate from 0 -100k/h in around 6 seconds. Therefore, other than the XT Forester, none of the others have any right calling themselves an SUV at all.

You forgot to say IMO. :)

MGV
26-09-2010, 10:31 PM
The novelty of the MFD still hasn't worn off, i'm usually scrolling around, checking the statistics... Anyways, after about a month of ownership, (about 2 months ago) i discovered by accident that hitting the 'OK' button when average fuel consumption is diplayed, an overall average is displayed (with a little '2' at the top-right). Today, it reset itself, or i reset it inadvertantly somehow... Can anyone elaborate? Thanks :-)

Mountainman
26-09-2010, 10:45 PM
No see that's where you lost me staight up:- while the "S" on the SUV Tiguan does stand for "Sports", it doesn't mean it can carry sporting equipment, it means it can go around corners, stop and accelerate from 0 -100k/h in around 6 seconds.

?? Why do VW claim the 125TSI manual and 147TSI only do 8.2 secs to 100km/h then?
125kw/280Nm and 1610kg doesn't sound like 6 secs to me but it doesn't mean to say it can't still be sporty either.

blutopless2
27-09-2010, 08:07 AM
The novelty of the MFD still hasn't worn off, i'm usually scrolling around, checking the statistics... Anyways, after about a month of ownership, (about 2 months ago) i discovered by accident that hitting the 'OK' button when average fuel consumption is diplayed, an overall average is displayed (with a little '2' at the top-right). Today, it reset itself, or i reset it inadvertantly somehow... Can anyone elaborate? Thanks :-)

some of the data on the MFD has two values that you can toggle between. MFD shows a "1" or a "2" in the top right like you have found.
When it is in the "1" mode the data is automatically reset when you leave the car for about 30 minutes or so (might even be up to an hour) and then drive it again. When it is set to "2" mode this data remains until YOU reset it by holding down the "OK" button for a few seconds.
This is probably what you have done to accidentally reset it.
In my cars the "2" mode has been left since i bought the cars so that i can see data averages for the cars life etc.
Having said that it would actually be useful to have a third mode so that you could reset this one for long trips etc... but that's just my opinion.

MGV
27-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for that, i guess that's what i did... I know it was on 9.7 after around 4500ish, the day before...
Cheers.