PDA

View Full Version : mileage on a new car

ox518
26-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Firstly I would like to thank those people who helped me on another thread about pick up a new car. Thank you very much, I did what you said on the way home~~~

So far I got my MK6 about one week, I love it, it is a good car.

However, one thing makes me uncomfortable.

As I said this is my first brand new car. I have no idea how much mileage should be on the car when I picking it from dealer. Therefore I did not really pay attention on it. But finally I realized that the car has been done 100K before I got it (from the dealer pre-check list). I thought this is normal....but one of my friend bought his Honda which only had been done 8K before left the dealer......

Now I am thinking that is not normal at all.

I know there is no chance to discuss this issue with dealer, as they can't do anything about it. I am wondering if I can send this issue to VW Australia, maybe they can do something or give me explanation.

Does anyone know the contact details of VW Australia customer service?

Swallowtail
26-08-2009, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't stress... My last two new cars have had 66km and 40ish respectively.

100km is less than 3 days driving based on an average 15,000km per year. I don't think you will have too many dramas coming from it.

neil
26-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Seems a bit hi for a new car.
Mine had 22km.
100km is a oneway trip to Sydney for me from the Central Coast.
But then when you think of it in hours its only about 1 hour driving at 100km/h
But then again if its been running around a built area it could have been driven
for a number of hours.
This has been an issue a number of times over the years in threads and should
be highlighted in a sticky in pre delivery checks for newbies.
Certainly worth some free dealer products.

Tim
26-08-2009, 12:30 PM
this really isnt anything worth worrying about.
There are all sorts of reasons why your car could be delivered with a few kms on it.
tinting, repair of damage sustained during transport, the need to road test the car after the pre purchase inspection after resolving an issue they may have found. The list goes on..

At the end of the day they could deliver your car with 0 kms on it if they wanted as its possible for the dealer to reset the odomoter so long as it hasnt reached a certain distance yet. Sooo if you car has less kms on it its probly more of a worry! My car was delivered with very few kms on it. Perhaps if they had have driven it a little bit more they would have realised that they forgot to unlock the radio before i picked it up

But yeah after having spent a little bit of time with a major BMW detailing installation I can assure you that ignorance is bliss! :D

cktsi
26-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Ditto what everyone says. That's a little high for a new vehicle. However if the cause was due to factory check in Golfsburg Germany (wolfsburg) then that would be reassuring.

My Mk5 had 20kms on the odo when I picked it up. My Mk6 only had 8km.

If you had 66km because they rectified lots of things at the factory & you had a smooth ownership experience - then no worries. Prefer that to my 8km and the 3 issues i've had so far.

Flipper Dog
26-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Now I am thinking that is not normal at all.

I know there is no chance to discuss this issue with dealer, as they can't do anything about it. I am wondering if I can send this issue to VW Australia, maybe they can do something or give me explanation.

Does anyone know the contact details of VW Australia customer service?

I don't think contacting VW customer service will give you much help. Yes that is a little on the high side of pre delivered km's but like what others have said basic running around to get the vehicle ready for you adds the km's.
Add a few in the factory, then delivery to the port, off load in Sydney at the docks, delivery to you in Canberra and then the dealers running around.

Having a go at your dealer now is missed the boat, if it was an issue then you had to speak up about it on the delivery day. I don't think you would achieve much anyway from the dealer.

As long as the vehicle is running like a dream and there is no visible "repair" work you should be fine.

ox518
26-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks to all. I know I am over worried about this issue. My concern is if they drove the car roughly then all I have done gently before 1000km will be pointless.

However, there is a problem comes up these two days.

I found ticking noise from somewhere around steering wheel. It comes all the time unless deadly flat road. It actually drives me nuts.....

Does any one have this noise on mk6?

Cheers,
ox518

neil
26-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks to all. I know I am over worried about this issue. My concern is if they drove the car roughly then all I have done gently before 1000km will be pointless.

However, there is a problem comes up these two days.

I found ticking noise from somewhere around steering wheel. It comes all the time unless deadly flat road. It actually drives me nuts.....

Does any one have this noise on mk6?

Cheers,
ox518

Someone mentioned a ticking noise in another tread today and the VW
mechanic traced it to the aircon but there car had plenty of K's on it.

I get a ticking noise coming from the front passenger side but it turns out
to be the sun glasses holder in the roof console if it is not shut.

But it could be anything, best to get a passenger in with you to see if
you can trace it before taking back to VW as it might be something simple.

Lima
26-08-2009, 11:13 PM
If it makes you feel any better our Mk5 GTI had close to 100km when we picked it up from Lennock too. It seemed a bit high at the time, and I was a bit perplexed, but didn't really think about it much after driving out of the showroom.

:banana:

GolfAtom
27-08-2009, 06:44 AM
mmmm...100k's sounds a bit high, when I got mine it was under 10k's and that was because their workshop was in the next suburb. Check that the registration date was after you bought the car. Hope they gave you a full tank of petrol!

Brisben
27-08-2009, 08:49 AM
I never seen a new car with that much K on it new, however I used to PDI work and some cars do have to travel a bit.

However what you gonna do now you had it for a while ?

Just forget about it mate and move on.

Enjoy the car...

Sharkie
27-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I'd actually be quite a bit worried about anything more than 40km on delivery.

What it normally means is that it was used for "test" drives by other prospective customers ...... :frown:

... and everybody know how cars are treated on a test drive....:mad:

VW used to be able to reset speedos to 0km before a car has been done 100km, but on the MY09 MK6 and Tiguans etc I believe that "functionality" has been removed by VW.

Brisben
27-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I'd actually be quite a bit worried about anything more than 40km on delivery.

What it normally means is that it was used for "test" drives by other prospective customers ...... :frown:

... and everybody know how cars are treated on a test drive....:mad:

VW used to be able to reset speedos to 0km before a car has been done 100km, but on the MY09 MK6 and Tiguans etc I believe that "functionality" has been removed by VW.

Mate it doesn't mean that at all, it may have gone for minor defective repairs.

PDI's re-inspection. Paint touch up or anything.. It will all be irrelevant in two years when it has some real mileage on it, plus its under warranty...

gerhard
27-08-2009, 11:03 AM
All these scaremongers saying they'd be "worried" about 100ks...

Worried about what - they don't say. They just want to scaremonger, and make you feel like the car should now be ready to implode, explode, burn, fall apart, etc, etc, or that an apprentice has been using the launch control repeatedly to run up those extra 80k. Whatever transpired during that "stolen" 80 WILL NOT BE HARMFUL TO YOUR CAR.

Just don't let the scaremongers convince you to let it be harmful to your head.

My car has 12000ks on it now, and it had 22 when I picked it up. When yours has 12,000k you won't think about the 100 that has been "stolen" from you. I will never know how many launches it did in those 22k, or whether it was revved to redline for 20k out of the 22. But guess what - it doesn't matter, the car is running perfectly, and so will yours.

brad
27-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I thought VAg cars had a 1-off reset for the ODO so that the dealer could reset the ODO back to zero just before the customer took delivery?

Nyway, according to consumer affairs, up to 550km is a new car, up to 5500km is a demo.

I wouldn't stress about how the car has been driven as they all cop a hammering by the smurfs that drive them from factory to holding yard, holding yard to train, train to holding yard, holding yard to ship, ship to holding yard, holding yard to car carryer, car carrier to holding yard, holding yard to car carrier, car carrier to dealership yard, etc, etc. The engine is always cold & they give it a good squirt if they think their supervisor isn't looking.

In the scheme of wear & tear, over 100km, how much extra wear is going to occur? I'd be more concerned about your statement "drove gently for first 1000km" as these cars need to be driven "normally" for best bedding-in of rings etc.

Lima
27-08-2009, 12:00 PM
With our GTI I know it did about 40-50km on a round trip from Phillip to Queanbeyan to go to the panel beater where we got the colour coding done prior to registration and delivery. I even drove the car to Queanbeyan on the outward trip using trade plates, which was nice of them to offer.

As I said earlier, I was still a bit surprised at the other 50km, but c'est la vie. Can't say I worried about it too much after the initial thought.

The S3 I picked up last week only had 35km. And, IIRC, my MINI had 25km when I drive it out of the showroom.

breezerboy
27-08-2009, 02:51 PM
It's just like "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" when they take Cameron's Dad's car out and the carpark attendants take it for a spin and clock up a lot of miles. Just be glad the VW dealer didn't try to wind the clock back like they did in the movie and "kill the car"!

ox518
27-08-2009, 09:29 PM
After reading all of your posts, I don't have any concern now. Thank you very much!!!

soogs
28-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Look at this way. 100 less ks for you to run in before you thrash the sh*t out of the car, oops I mean before you enjoy the car. LOL.

sillygogo
29-08-2009, 01:48 PM
When we signed the contract , they sales guy promised no more than 20ks, but it was 45k when we picked it up. I think they might use it for a demo vehicle.

spacegirl
22-06-2011, 10:15 AM
If it makes you feel any better our Mk5 GTI had close to 100km when we picked it up from Lennock too. It seemed a bit high at the time, and I was a bit perplexed, but didn't really think about it much after driving out of the showroom.

:banana:

I just had the same experience from Lennock - our new Golf had 93km on it, and the only explanation from them was that cars can have 20 to 100km on the clock depending on where they have come from. It must have been parked a loooong way from the truck that brought it to Canberra.