PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else having problems with the side mirrors?

clone_tk422
24-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi,

got my GTI the other day, very happy with it except the only thing I cant work out is what the deal is with the side mirrors, mainly the drivers side one

its got that little line that goes down through the middle of the mirror also it seems to have some special coating on it but it makes the cars next to you really hard to see.

I know those mirrors usually make objects appear further away then they are but i have never had a problem with any other car judging in these mirrors but the polo seems really hard to see objects properly.. they look a lot further away than they really are and are a little difficult to see clearly.

Anyone else having problems?

Thanks

Shade
24-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I know what you mean but i am slowly getting use to it and i am finding that if i just glance at it to see if something is next to me it works well but if i stare at it for to long it starts to give me a headache. It's like looking thru someone prescription glasses.

Kai
24-01-2007, 12:22 PM
I love mine, i think its great that i dont need a blind spot mirror.

I can always see the car next to me.

shaneth
24-01-2007, 04:48 PM
i agree its a pain to start off with but now im glad its there. It just takes time to get used to as its probably not on the last car you drove.

clone_tk422
24-01-2007, 10:06 PM
hey thanks for the reply but wondering if someone could please explain what the mirrors are supposed to do why that line is there and why they have that coating on them?

I just thought they were normal mirrors which werent very goog didnt realise they had a function..

also only got 420 out of my first tank with a lot of highway driving and really taking it easy.. I have a feeling the dealership might have only put in 95 or even normal UL?

I put 98 in it tonight, can someone please post how many k's you get out of a tank

Thanks!

shaneth
24-01-2007, 10:09 PM
hey thanks for the reply but wondering if someone could please explain what the mirrors are supposed to do why that line is there and why they have that coating on them?

I just thought they were normal mirrors which werent very goog didnt realise they had a function..

also only got 420 out of my first tank with a lot of highway driving and really taking it easy.. I have a feeling the dealership might have only put in 95 or even normal UL?

I put 98 in it tonight, can someone please post how many k's you get out of a tank

Thanks!

Mate when you say a coating what do you mean. Sounds like the dealer didnt detail your car properly. The mirror is made up of 2 sections the large section is normal an d the little section at the outer edge of the mirror is for your blind spot. Try it next time you drive.

ATM i average 9.9l/100 from 4500km. And i drive resonably hard :D .

clone_tk422
24-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Mate when you say a coating what do you mean. Sounds like the dealer didnt detail your car properly. The mirror is made up of 2 sections the large section is normal an d the little section at the outer edge of the mirror is for your blind spot. Try it next time you drive.

ATM i average 9.9l/100 from 4500km. And i drive resonably hard :D .

What i meant is that the mirror seems to be tinted or something, ie its definitiely not a clear glass mirror the same as other cars

so you average 9.9 per 100 but how much do you get out of one tank?

Thanks - Didnt realise about the two sections, as it still seems when i look at the mirror, i get the same image on both sides.. I thought having the blind spot thing might mean i have two different views in the mirrors but i will try again tomorrow maybe its something to do with the positioning of the mirror to my eye?

Thanks

Timbo
25-01-2007, 06:05 AM
so you average 9.9 per 100 but how much do you get out of one tank?

Well, according to my FleetCard statement, I average around 8.8L/100k. Incidentally, when you think about it, that's the best measure of fuel economy, as there are too many variables in the 'per tank' approach (eg, how empty the tank actually was, whether it was fully filled, the ambient temperature, the driving style on that trip vs another...etc...etc)

I doubt the dealer filled it with U/L -- that's a no no. Probably 95

shaneth
25-01-2007, 06:43 AM
What i meant is that the mirror seems to be tinted or something,
I dont remember mine looking like that i will have to have another look after work toady. i thought it was a plain mirror. Ill even take a pic.

See the little part of the mirror on the outer edge is a convex mirror. ie. it is slightly curved out bulging outward. Although this slightly distorts the view it allows you to see more than a plain mirror. Depending on where the other car is to the mirror will depend if you see the same image in boh or only one part. ont forget your blind spot is the areas of the road that cannot be seen while looking forward or through either the rear-view or side mirrors in a car. So generally you probably will only see someting only in the outer mirror at this time.

As for fuel L/100 is definitely the best measurement. But i can average between 400 - 600 km per tank so far. depends how my right foot is feeling that week. :D

Timbo
25-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Most likely, the mirror has an anti-glare coating of some type

shaneth
25-01-2007, 05:35 PM
might do but mines a plain mirror

Glide_GTI
25-01-2007, 05:56 PM
400 per tank, 80% city driving in peak hour

up to brisbane got around 620 per tank

clone_tk422
28-01-2007, 06:22 PM
400 per tank, 80% city driving in peak hour

up to brisbane got around 620 per tank

Can you please let me know what fuel you are using

I just drove gold coast to Port Macquarie on vortex 98 and i got about only 515 before empty and thats not when it says you still have 50 km's to go, it was saying km's left - 0

I tried shell v power on the way back but much the same - no where near 600

I averged 7.7 l per 100 the whole trip that should mean about 580 km's I should have got