PDA

View Full Version : [BRIS] Defensive Driving Course

sim
25-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Can anyone recommend a good defensive driving course in/near Brisbane.

lil_punc
25-08-2009, 11:13 AM
i did mine at mount cotton was pretty good will try and find details for u

maca
25-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I really wanna do another driving course, they're good fun.

I did mine at SDT through school and at BNIT through AAMI..

Treza360
25-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I was going to say BMW Driver Training courses which I have done but they don't offer these in Queensland anymore. :(
Drive GTI do defensive driving as well as advanced stuff and track days.
http://drivegti.com/driving-courses.html
Not sure how but I think it's somehow affiliated with Guy_H (Harding Performance, APR and Oettinger) on here.
Cheers,
Trent

Treza360
25-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I really wanna do another driving course, they're good fun.
I did mine at SDT through school and at BNIT through AAMI..
If the AAMI one is the one you get to do for free as an under 25 driver I would only bother doing it if you can do it for free. Not worth doing it as a paid exercise as it's really only very very basic with a large proportion of theory and limited practical exercises. Very much aimed at the 17/18 year old who's just got their Ps.
Best thing is that hopefully young drivers will get out of it is about following distances and how easy it is to ram someone up the bum.

I did it when I was on opens at 24yo and with the R and after having done the BMW course so it was all pretty moot for me. Started having some fun in the slalom and tightening radius exercises until the instructors told me to slow down as even though the car and I could go faster we were only allowed to go so fast so the point of trying to show how easy it is to lose control and not be able to go around a corner/bend kind of became redundant. :duh:

Oh well. Like I said if you do it and it's free go for it otherwise there are much better ones to spend your money on.

Cheers,
Trent

quozl
25-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Stokell Motorsport (http://www.stokellmotorsport.com.au/) you can do group, or one on one training from basic defensive driver training up to circuit, tarmac rally training and CAMS license test for Circuit Rally etc

Just don't let him drive your car if its an R32:troll:

maca
26-08-2009, 12:47 AM
My school ran one of those too (assuming we didn't go to the same school), I didn't go, but a spoilt mate with a 3-series did it, and seemed to drive like a total loon for the following months.

Has a pretty good driving record now, so maybe the courses help alot more long term.... just don't drive out of those gates thinking your Hamilton (not directed at anyone in particular... and yes I feel like I just trippled in age).

I'll do one one day, rainy season in a falcon with bald 'Positrac' tyres taught me a thing or two at 17.... not reeeeally the appropriate environment to learn in (sometimes I miss RWD though).
Which one did you do with school? The SDT out at Willowbank?

And Trent, the one I did with AAMI was the free one but now i'm looking at someting with a little more thrill.. Thinking of doing the Stunt Man driving course :D

madglf3
26-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I did one with school at the Holden Performance Driving Centre at Norwell in a spankers VZ auto. I'm told this course was between the first and second stage course and specifically suited to school groups. We did a little theory relating to corner apex and weight shifting (I think, it was a while ago). We then went around the track and did excersises like brake testing in wet/dry, where to keep your eyes when driving and the difference between under and oversteer, then braking distance/tailgating demonstration to scare us.

I thought it helped heaps, especially in terms of keeping your eyes down the road to the next corner and letting your peripherals interject when they sense something, rather than ten metres in front. I think it'd be worth doing, I'm actually thinking about doing another course somewhere when I have some more money to spare.