PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 engine swap --> Mk3 2L

scoob02
25-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi guys,

Having recently purchased a Mk1 CitiGolf 1993 1.3L on carby (under 'New Purchase' title in the Mk1 forum) and looking through some of the racing/rally Mk1 action and Golf+ magazines its got me thinking..

1) putting a Mk3 2L out of a GL in the Citi...firstly is it relatively 'bolt in'?

2) was thinking of running on carbs..would this be a viable option and more economic compared with converting the car to EFI

3) available of parts for converting the Mk3 2L into a Carb...which carbs, twin/single, manifold etc etc

4) approximate cost - not mechanically minded so the cheque book will be open

5) other options on the engine conversion

Obvioulsy things like brakes, suspension will need to be undergraded before undertaking something like this, but wanted to have a plan sorted for down the track

Have used the search function but couldnt find anything exactly matching what I was after, so if anybody can find something useful forward it thru.

Cheers :cool:

scoob02
25-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Geez must be getting late, saw a similiar question and responses to what i am asking...sorry guys

Peter Jones
25-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Been there done that , Check out my wreck to race thread, it's in there somewhere.

Pete

Jarred
25-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Have a quick search through a few resto threads, and through the mk 1 section. There's heaps of info available as to what works & whats easiest. :)

Golf Loon
25-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I`d go EFI and full harness from a Mk3, heaps more reliable than a big dirty carby.

scoob02
25-08-2009, 09:49 PM
I`d go EFI and full harness from a Mk3, heaps more reliable than a big dirty carby.

Golf Loon, I have seen that you are the man for this sort of thing, your scirocco must be a bit of fun :bowdown:

EFI 2L 8valve? How much coin for a drive in drive out job?

Cheers

Golf Loon
25-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I cant take on another conversion at the moment mate and you are pretty far away.

Find a wrecked Mk3 up in Brissie and take all the good stuff.

Basically you need engine, gearbox and full wiring loom from the fusebox forwards. The only real wiring is to hook up your Mk1 lights to the Mk3 oom and cut out the A/C and other bits you dont need.

My caddytastic thread in the Mk1 section shows the job I did on my Mk1 Caddy. 2L EFI.

And yes the Rocco goes very nicely thanks mate :)

scoob02
25-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I cant take on another conversion at the moment mate and you are pretty far away.

Find a wrecked Mk3 up in Brissie and take all the good stuff.

Basically you need engine, gearbox and full wiring loom from the fusebox forwards. The only real wiring is to hook up your Mk1 lights to the Mk3 oom and cut out the A/C and other bits you dont need.

My caddytastic thread in the Mk1 section shows the job I did on my Mk1 Caddy. 2L EFI.

And yes the Rocco goes very nicely thanks mate :)

Mate i am actually a bit further than Brisbane, in Singapore working at the moment...so havent even driven the Citi or seen it in the flesh

Maybe down the track I'll drive down to Sydney and let you work your magic...not too handy with a spanner unfortunately - but I'll check out your caddy build for info.

Cheers Scoob

MeeM
29-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey scoob, did you end up getting this done? I'm also looking to drop a 2L into an Mk1 later this year and since you're also in Brisbane, I thought we might bounce some ideas off each other.

scoob02
30-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Not yet mate, still considering which direction, 1.8l, 2l either 8v or 16v

2l 8v seems like the easiest, but 16v would be cooler and more expensive

Let me know how u get on

MeeM
30-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Will do. From my readings of the other threads, it seems the 1.8 8v is a good way to go, easily modified and decent power and torque. I might end up going this route, just looking at availability of engines at the moment.

Jarred
30-01-2011, 09:42 PM
contact golf loon, he's normally got more than a few in stock!

Bora Sport
30-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I have a 2 Litre ADY (1996 Golf) engine and gearbox plus harness and ECU for sale at the moment and I am on the Sunshine Coast. See the For Sale section. Somethings old, Somethings new.

MeeM
30-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks Bora Sport, will check that section now!