PDA

View Full Version : Attaching eTag to windscreen?

logger
21-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Got my TSi today. In the process of attaching my eTag to the windscreen. Whats the purpose of the 6" x 6" square of dots on the windscreen at top center behind the rear vision mirror? Seems like a logical place to hide the eTag but on the other hand it will probably come off the screen if/when I subsequently remove the eTag.

glennbot
21-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I have the larger e-tag and all I did was to jam the unit in between the glass and the round tube that runs down to the rain sensor.
No need to stick the braket to the glass at all.
Mine has been there for 3 months and hasn't moved.
I can travel through the e-toll at 80Km/h and it still works fine.

sillygogo
21-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I had mine next to the rain sensor, all good.

btw, you can get your larger tag replace for free to the smaller tag at their customer service center. Well its free in the Stapleton center anyway.

logger
21-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I have the larger e-tag and all I did was to jam the unit in between the glass and the round tube that runs down to the rain sensor.
No need to stick the braket to the glass at all.
Great idea. Will give it a whirl as I expect my old eTag is what you describe as large, too . Thnx.

brad
21-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Seems like a logical place to hide the eTag but on the other hand it will probably come off the screen if/when I subsequently remove the eTag.
Whenever we change cars we just leave the old mount behind as somebody elses problem.

RTA tags get free replacement mounts from the Motor Registry office.

My tag has never failed me, no matter what speed I'm doing (nb: I can't work out why the speed limit reduces at toll plazas).:confused:

Mr X
22-08-2009, 09:32 AM
The area of dots is known as the communication window.

Put your etag here, you cannot see it from outside and the metal in the windscreen is not here either.

Murray

logger
22-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Put your etag here, you cannot see it from outside and the metal in the windscreen is not here either.

Murray
That makes sense - harks back to when windscreen films were interfering with early GPS receivers and so on. I recall the windscreen blocking reception with a portable GPS in a Peugeot I drove about 10 years back.

Do you reckon if for some unlikely reason I subsequently need to remove the etag adhesive bracket, it would take the dots off with it? My feeling is it would & that is my only reluctance to use that spot.

PS just installed it with glenbots "...jam the unit in between the glass and the round tube.." method and it works a treat. Thnx.

KWICKS
24-08-2009, 11:36 AM

MurrayI have never heard that before. Well, you learn something new every day. In fact I'd almost have been inclined to think the opposite, glad to know what is for.

booya
12-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Just called Citylink regarding transferring eTag from Jap car into my GTI.
Apparently all VW Golfs are exempt from having to display the eTag due to metallic windscreens.
The operator said there are no extra charges to using Citylink this way (ie no penalty for not displaying eTag).
Sounds too good to be true.
Anyone in same boat as me?

hcvo1
12-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't have my GTI yet, but I thought that it would be the same as my last Peugeot, there should be an area on the windscreen in which you can attach the e-tag and there will be no interference???

Corey_R
12-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah - I haven't heard this one before. I used an Express Tag and then Roam Express in my MKV Golf GTI. It worked fine. You just mount it up in the black dotted area above the rear view mirror.

Christopher
12-04-2010, 10:34 PM
^^ Agreed. When there was a polo in the family, we were told to put the etag in that same area.
If you use citylink without an etag (i.e. using that account they have for occasional travellers), they charge you a $0.75 matching fee per gate.

ryano
13-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Yeah - I haven't heard this one before. I used an Express Tag and then Roam Express in my MKV Golf GTI. It worked fine. You just mount it up in the black dotted area above the rear view mirror.

Dang - I thought it was the other way around and I wasn't supposed to mount it on the back area, I just put my new GoVia clip underneath the black dotted area...still works though but its better hidden further up...oh well guess i'll just order another one :D

booya
13-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks for replies.
I was extremely skeptical with Citylink about not needing a tag (without any penalty or admin charge of 0.75c) but she was equally adamant this was citylink's new policy for VW Golf GTI. I'm not complaining but I'll probably call them again to double and triple check if this is true.

Christopher
13-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Please let us know if that is true for the Mk6 GTI specifically re the no penalty / admin charge.

booya
13-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Will do as soon as I can.

booya
13-04-2010, 09:28 AM
OK I just reconfirmed with Citylink, all VW Golf GTI's are considered to have metallic windscreens.
They say: We DO NOT need to display the eTAG though they do suggest we display it anyway (logic??).
Regarding penalties / admin charges, specifically NO ADMIN FEES or PENALTIES will be incurred.
The statement will have a Debit of 0.75c then an immediate Credit of 0.75c for each "no tag" reading.
I have checked this with 2 different people at Citylink.

Again, due to "sounds too good to be true" syndrome I would suggest everyone look at their statements carefully initially to check.
I will take a drive on Eastlink soon to see what happens on my statement.

Christopher
13-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Fantastic. Thanks for that information!

JohnA
13-04-2010, 09:46 AM
that would be great. I may ring them myself as they never told me anything when i changed vehicles with them last week

JohnA
13-04-2010, 09:59 AM
found this on their website

If my vehicle has a metallic windscreen where do I put my e-TAG?

If your vehicle has a metallic windscreen you will need to place the e-TAG holder in a certain position on the windscreen to enable proper detection of your e-TAG or you may be charged an administration fee per trip. Your vehicle manufacturer or distributor should be able to advise where to place the e-TAG holder.

i wouldn't take the risk personally, unless they gave it to me in writing

jeeteeay
13-04-2010, 09:59 AM
As long as your plate number/s is registered on your TAG account there will be NO Penalties/Extra Charge on your account when you driving without Tag. It will appeared on your statement as 'Undetected Tag' and they charge you a normal fee...no additional fee.

I had 3 cars (3 plate numbers) registered into 1 tag account....sometime I forgot to move the Tag to the other car when using the Toll...but yeah...that's fine.

Corey_R
13-04-2010, 10:16 AM
As long as your plate number/s is registered on your TAG account there will be NO Penalties/Extra Charge on your account when you driving without Tag. It will appeared on your statement as 'Undetected Tag' and they charge you a normal fee...no additional fee.
Yeah - that's the policy in NSW, but these other guys are all from Victoria where their toll operators do in fact charge a $0.75 penalty fee for reverting to the number plate. Just be extra careful when dishing out advice that it does apply to the target demo/geographic :)

Christopher
13-04-2010, 10:39 AM

i wouldn't take the risk personally, unless they gave it to me in writing

Having that in writing is definitely the way to go to be 100% safe, although they do record their calls "for training purposes", so you've always got that as a backup.

Corey_R
13-04-2010, 11:10 AM
That doesn't mean they record all calls though. "Trainnig purposes" typically means only a few percent of calls, "compliance purposes" would mean every call - although you'd still typically only hear a training purposes disclaimer, so very hard to tell from a customer point of view.

Christopher
13-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Ah ok. I thought that unless you say no, then it would be recorded...

kennyc
13-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I will call up citylink and confirm.
But what about eastlink, does the same policy apply?

booya
13-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Would be good if you can confirm as well Kenny. Hope the forum members all don't call on the same day though.

I didn't get anything in writing when I rang but the second operator said she would ensure a note is made in their computer system and when she checked she noted that the 1st operator had already put it in, so I guess that's as concrete as it can get short of a letter in writing.

kennyc
13-04-2010, 01:47 PM
OK i have confirmed it.
I called citylink and advised that i am in the process of getting a new car with a metal windscreen. He put me on hold for 5 minutes and said that if the detection does not detect the etag then the video detection will credit us. In another words he has put a note on my account saying i have a metal windscreen so i will not get charged anything.
He could not confirm whether the same will apply for eastlink.

Maverick
13-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Just called Citylink regarding transferring eTag from Jap car into my GTI.
Apparently all VW Golfs are exempt from having to display the eTag due to metallic windscreens.
The operator said there are no extra charges to using Citylink this way (ie no penalty for not displaying eTag).
Sounds too good to be true.
Anyone in same boat as me?

Sounds like complete rubbish from someone who has no idea (referring to the citylink operator). There has been nothing from Volkswagen to mention any form of coating on the windscreen unlike Audi who offer it as an option on many models.

All manufacturers who offer a windscreen with this coating have an area for the mounting of the tag and other devices that have to transmit or receive like the sensors for rain and traffic.

Here's some further information - http://www.crosscity.com.au/files/Documents/CCM%20172%20Rev%200%20Tag%20Mounting%20CARSMW%2014 0705.pdf

Corey_R
13-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah - there was a change from the MKV to MK6 windscreen (additional lamination or layers or something), but it was to reduce wind noise, not a change to a metallic windscreen as far as any information that I've seen either.

Big Yellow
13-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Ive had my etag in my car and used both the citylink and eastlink with no issues.

I even have my etag stuck in the top left corner (not a black dotted area) and it still works.

I would not listen to those operators unless you have deep pockets.

kennyc
13-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Ive had my etag in my car and used both the citylink and eastlink with no issues.

I even have my etag stuck in the top left corner (not a black dotted area) and it still works.

I would not listen to those operators unless you have deep pockets.

Does it work behind the back winder mirror?

Maverick
13-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Does it work behind the back winder mirror?

What back window mirror?

Do you mean the rear vision mirror?

Of course it will work there, it works all over the window/dash.

kennyc
13-04-2010, 06:19 PM
What back window mirror?

Do you mean the rear vision mirror?

Of course it will work there, it works all over the window/dash.

Yeah sorry, the rear vision mirror, had a brain fade!! lol

Hoversloth
13-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Yup, I've got my RTA E-Tag under the rear vision mirror and it works fine, all the time.

ljs
13-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Same as Maverick & Hoversloth - got my E-Tag under the rear vision mirror and there's no issues on Citylink or Eastlink (Vic).

Mr X
13-04-2010, 09:53 PM
I admit I haven't read my manual for a long time but it mentions there is a "communication window" which is the hatched area behind the rear vision mirror.

Presumably the "communication" part implies there is no metal in this area to allow radio waves through?

Just my 2c worth

niulf
14-04-2010, 01:12 AM
I just applied e-toll tag after I picked up my GTI few weeks ago. I did not mount it on the windscreen. It worked fine when I just leave it on dashboard.

obiwan
14-04-2010, 07:07 AM
My GoVia tag has been working fine positioned under the rain sensor.

booya
14-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I suppose if you already have tags in your cars then just leave them there. My scenario is that the new car is virginal and if there's no legal requirement to put the tag in the car then why spoil the look of the windscreen? I have the old big etag from previous car which sits nicely in the rod behind the mirror but I'm going to go tag-less for awhile and see what happens. There is a technical reason for Citylink to suggest this which underlies the fact that some of the tags are not reading reliably so to prevent unnecessary angry toll-users they must have thought it more efficient to just read the licence plates of these cars.

paulcito
14-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I have mounted my eTag next to the rear vision mirror - no issues. have gone thru several times now.

Corey_R
14-04-2010, 09:30 PM
My scenario is that the new car is virginal and if there's no legal requirement to put the tag in the car then why spoil the look of the windscreen?
Yeah - that was the situation I was in with both my Golf GTI and Polo GTI. I have the current generation 'small' Roam Express tag. I just painted it semi-flat-black and used clear 3M Double Sided tape (graded for use in sunlight) and mounted it behind the rear vision mirror. Between the fact it was black, and mounted there, it wasn't really noticable from inside or outside the car :)

alebonau
20-04-2010, 11:09 PM
I've left my old etag on the dash and seems to work fine through the windscreen. Waiting for a slim etag to turn up will stick that in the "communication window" once turns up :)

MariusGT
21-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Ok here is a beauty (kind of on topic):

my wife went away with some girlfriends and took our tomtom one gps with her to use in someone elses car. The owner of the car works in the office at nrma hq in Sydney.

She didn't want the gps to be mounted (suction cup) on the windshield. Was adamant that doing so affects the integrity of glass and if a small stone hits - instead of chipping is likely to shatter!!!!

I was gobsmacked and laughed for quite some time.

Just thought I'd share this little urban myth.

kennyc
03-05-2010, 09:41 PM
So where has everyone placed their "e-tag" i have placed it just under the rear vision mirror just for enough gap so it doesn't touch.
Anyone placed it on the side next the rear vision mirror?
Lol i sould so fussy, just want it to look the best lol

alebonau
03-05-2010, 11:33 PM
So where has everyone placed their "e-tag" i have placed it just under the rear vision mirror just for enough gap so it doesn't touch.
Anyone placed it on the side next the rear vision mirror?
Lol i sould so fussy, just want it to look the best lol

my new slim etag arrived. its behind the rear mirror, just to the side of it. have to mount to the side if you want to take out and put the etag in the holder. works a charm no issue.

nardini
04-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Contacted E-Tag direct and confirmed that I do not need to install it anywhere on the windscreen.It also does not incur any extra penalty for doing so. My GTI looks all the better for it. Cheers.

niulf
08-05-2010, 11:43 PM
My e-tag stays in my glove box most time. I only put is on my dash when i need to use it. It works all good. I also saw some other car owners do same thing.

booya
09-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Contacted E-Tag direct and confirmed that I do not need to install it anywhere on the windscreen.It also does not incur any extra penalty for doing so. My GTI looks all the better for it. Cheers.

ditto. was covered in my earlier post. If they are happy not for us to put it there, not sure why some are still sticking them on.

ozgti
09-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I tried it in the sunglass holder. It didn't beep! Used to on the Forester. I just leave it in the coin hatch and take it out when I need it. Though I probably will end up sticking behind the rear view mirror out of sight when I could be bothered.