PDA

View Full Version : TDI 1 year old

jets
22-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Well my 2.0 TDI turned 1 on Jan 8th & had its first service today [8800km].
When I arrived at reception I was told that it would cost around $360.
I took pleasure in telling her ' no it won't it's free'. When I negotiated the purchase price VW had a promotion of 3 free services.[interesting that it was not advertised in SA. I saw it at the time in Melbourne newspaper]
I always do my own work & it's hard for me to comprehend how 4 litres of oil[yes I know its expensive] and an oil filter , plus at the most 1 hour labour for 'safety check' can cost so much.
In the USA they talk about sucking out the old oil using some pela tool, which I never liked the sound of--- some of the old sediment remains.
I was pleased to see mine was drained from the sump plug like I would do.
Overall the total experience was good.[apart from the price if I had to pay for it] I told them at reception that I didn't want them test driving/thrashing my car & it was written on the job sheet & respected.
My car was delivered fault free, apart from a slight fit imperfection of glovebox lid fit, & no problems at all to report so far [touch wood].
I can only hope that the rest of my ownership will be just as trouble free.

srbsta
22-01-2007, 10:00 PM
hey congrats on the service damn only 8000km in 1 year hahaha i have 10000 in 5 months :D

brackie
23-01-2007, 05:21 AM
My TDI is approaching 7500km (7 months). The book says that first oil change service should be @ 15000km, but the dealer sticker says they want to see it @ 7500km. I have no problems with changing the oil at this time however it will be replaced with another fill of semi-synthetic as fully synthetic oil doesn't go in until 15000km. I have real problems with dealer "safety checks". They're so subjective in pricing as they allow a wide range of time for which they charge you (@$100 per hour!!!) The oil and filter, expensive as they are, shouldn't cost more than say $120 so on what amounts to a ~$400 service you are paying $120 + (say) $100 for an hour to change the oil which is probably no more than a half hour job. So I guess the other $180 is for the "safety check".
I intend to get John Hall in Devonport to do my servicing rather than the Big End of Town.

gtimk5
23-01-2007, 06:18 AM
And always room on my hoist Brackie for your TDI if you get down this way too.:)
Got the laptop ready too for whenever you want to open it up too!!!!!
Mates rates definate!!!:)

brackie
24-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Today (being the checker that I am ;) ) I rang the dealer in Launceston and talked to the service manager. He told me:

* the 7500km service includes an oil and filter change with semi-synthetic oil
* even @ 15000km they still refill with semi-synthetic because VW haven't as yet specified a fully synthetic oil :???:
* part of the service is, "Tightening a few nuts and bolts in the suspension....":???:
* the total cost will be between $180 and $220

This is a bit different to what I was informed earlier and caused my eyebrows to raise.
Comments?

jets
25-01-2007, 09:47 PM
That sounds more realistic. Maybe our dealer thinks there are more suckers in SA.

Rob.

brackie
22-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Today (being the checker that I am ;) ) I rang the dealer in Launceston and talked to the service manager. He told me:

* the 7500km service includes an oil and filter change with semi-synthetic oil
* even @ 15000km they still refill with semi-synthetic because VW haven't as yet specified a fully synthetic oil :???:
* part of the service is, "Tightening a few nuts and bolts in the suspension....":???:
* the total cost will be between $180 and $220

This is a bit different to what I was informed earlier and caused my eyebrows to raise.
Comments?
OK, it was done by John Hall today. I was with him all of the time and watched somebody else change the oil in my car for the first time ever!
Basically, it was an oil change service. He used semi-synthetic oil that he had to buy in from the dealership in Launceston but he already had the oil filter. He checked the car over underneath and found no problems.
The whole operation took less than an hour and the total cost was $138.05
Labour $45
Oil $60
Filter $17.50
Waste disposal $3.00
The rest was GST.

It was nice to be in a smelly VW workshop with lots of water and aircooled bit an pieces lying around and VW memorabilia everywhere rather than in some antiseptic posh dealership in a big city.

phaeton
22-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Interestingly I read/heard awhile ago dealerships make the majority of their profits from servicing and parts etc. :D

Good to hear the Jetta is going well ;) (I presume its a Jetta by your username :D)

vdeknock
23-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I always supply my own Oil. They cant say no.

jets
24-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Interestingly I read/heard awhile ago dealerships make the majority of their profits from servicing and parts etc. :D

Good to hear the Jetta is going well ;) (I presume its a Jetta by your username :D)

No its a golf, my user name is a ' nick name' from way back based on my surname.
Athough I hate paying inflated prices for any service, the thing that got up my nose was the BS that it would take 3 hrs. " its not just lift the car on the hoist & spin the wheels you know". As I did not have to pay for this service I kept my mouth shut but if I had, I would have become aggressive.
I know women often get a raw deal from car salesmen but this service adviser was a female, probably new a lot less than I do about VWs.

phaeton
24-02-2007, 08:15 AM
No its a golf, my user name is a ' nick name' from way back based on my surname.

Ohh cool my mistake :D

Whats it like ?

My Mum may get one if I can talk her into it :D

jets
26-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Sorry Ben it has taken so long to respond.
Over the years I have owned 4 mk1s [still have 2], a mk2 GTI & am thinking of buying another mk1 diesel. The mk5 as you would expect is in another league & much better value. The down side, as with all new cars is generally heavier, hard to judge front & rear bumper position, hard to see out the back[head rests & high sides], very complex mechanically,harder to work on [no room] & with each model the parts get dearer, although some last longer.
My mk5 is better built than my German built GTI was, by far. The GTI struggled with the AC switched on particularly with 4 people, the TDI hardly notices it. It has taken a while to learn to drive, operating in the lower rev range with 6 gears. In fact on one occasion I stalled the engine. I had other people in the car & was busy talking & slowing down in 5th for T intersection. It's fine if you think what you are doing.
I am trying to think if there is anything inferior to the MK2 GTI, the only thing is the extra weight but with the torque its not noticeable.
Overall I would rate it as outstanding & hard to imagine how VW will improve on it.