PDA

View Full Version : Tig airconnditioning

Tedhaggie
20-08-2009, 09:24 AM
the aircon on my 103TDI (with comfort pack = climate control) seems to have failed @ 50days , 4000k . AS I am 1000k from my dealer , am interested ti know , others experience with air con problems/performance, My doesn't seems to reduce air temp. but fan speed varies as you adjust temp.

Otherwise very happy with my Tiguan

NZTiguan
20-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Assuming it's all switched ON correctly I can only assume you've lost gas from the system. HAven't heard of it with a Tig before but I had it happen with a Mazda Astina I had and it was just a connector that had worked loose. 10 minute job to fix BUT unfortunately in your case you're a long way form help. I guess all you can do is check that it IS all ON correctly, check there's no slack in the compressor drive belt and then just wait till you're in a position to get it fixed. Bugger

Cheers

Tedhaggie
20-08-2009, 11:24 AM
g'day,
thats my guess as well, might have to pay to have a local check the gas and connections , probably cheaper than trip

Torn
23-08-2009, 03:56 PM
This happened twice on my Polo Gti, at about 10,000KM and again at 40,000km

on a 30c day driving for over an hour would not cool the cabin.

The first time it happened they replaced the compressor and re-gassed and added dye to the gas.

Checking after there was a lot of bright green residue under the hood, at first i thought i was coolant, then remembered thats its red :)

Second time they patched the leak and re-gassed

First time car was in dealer for 2 days as they had to replace compressor then get the radiator guys to flush the system and re-gas.

Tedhaggie
24-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Have had a good local mec hanic have a check of the system , gas levels are ok . Unfortunately his diagnotictools would not access the vW computer.
Have order the Ross-Tech cable from the states expect to arrive tomorrow . Also have subscribed to www.erwin.volkswagen.de

will check for error and sensor readings -hopefully will tell me whats really happening

NZTiguan
25-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Have had a good local mec hanic have a check of the system , gas levels are ok . Unfortunately his diagnotictools would not access the vW computer.

Stranger and stranger !! will be interesting to see what you find in the end, at least it's a warranty job if it's something major !!

Cheers

Tedhaggie
27-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Got the diags loaded on my laptop and connected . . Evap temp 25 ambient 23 - concluded it was gas afyter checking all measuring blocks . added 100g gas - evap temp to 5 and cool air but unfortunately this morning no cooling - evap back to 25, gas has gone- couldn't locate any leak with detector yesterday may try again today :(:frown:

NZTiguan
27-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Bugger !!! well at least you KNOW that there's a leak somewhere, now all you got to do is find it !!! Maybe time for "Torn's" idea of putting dye in with the gas so you can track the leak ?

Good luck

Cheers

Tedhaggie
27-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Wiil be testing this afternoon used gas with UV dye yesterday. Hopefully locate leak. then down to war with the dealer. I know of other dealers in Qld using "agents" to carryout work for remote clients :brutal:

NZTiguan
27-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Certainly here in NZ, as long as it's an obvious warranty issue they usually don't mind local firms doing the work (our nearest VW agent is 200k away) providing they've approved it first.

Cheers

Tedhaggie
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
UPdate ,

Have bee unable to detect any leaks, found that if we set to manual MAX cooling after about 1000secs of running all kicks in evacuated and recharged with correct amount still same. have not been able to spot any trigger event yet

sequence is - compressor output sits at 5 -7 Bar and no coooling at evap

around 1000secs ( 17mins) compressor lOad starts to rise . followed by condenser pressure when condenser reaches 12bar , ( 3-4 secs) the evap temps starts to fall followed by the compressor control current.

Have a pdf showing out graph but don't know how to share. My dealer is being uncooperative. I want to diagnose as far as possible before travelling 800k to a dealer so that I don't have to wait 3 days while they diagnose, then another week for part or make 2+ trips.

Have a recalibrate of flap controllers

NZTiguan
01-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Well I'd love to be helpful but I lost you about "evacuated", afraid I'm one of the guys who looks under the bonnet and says (while stroking chin thoughtfully) "Well now, I recon the problem is in here somewhere" !!! and then I take it to the dealer and go to the pub for a beer while the experts fix it !!

Good luck

Cheers

Tedhaggie
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I was a mech engineer before getting inti IT so still love faultfinding . SO I keep digging like a terrier with a bone. I let you know the solution

Tedhaggie
15-09-2009, 11:39 AM
An update, system seems to improving , currently appears to start cooling after about 9 mins in cF 17mins originally . Almost like something may be "running in"
still waiting on dealer to advise that replacement compressor is available.