PDA

View Full Version : Roof console rattle

MaccaTSI
19-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi All,

To all the Mk6 owners, how well do you find the roof console (where interior lights and sunglasses holder are) is fitted??

Mine seems to rattle a bit and in searching for the rattle I've found there is a bit of movement there when I push on it. Is this the case for everyone?

cktsi
19-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi Macca,

I don't have any rattle when my sunglasses are not in there. If I put my sunnies into the case in a particular way, then I get lots of rattles & chirps.

Originally I thought it was the passenger door making the rattles/chirps, but it's funny how the sound bounces around the cabin. I eventually played around with my sunnies & bingo the noise was gone. So the source was the sunglass holder.

If you have a pair of sunnies in there, try removing them to see if the problem goes away. I don't know what the "magic position" is where they make a noise, but just muck around till the problem goes.

Good luck

JasonP
19-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Mine's the same as cktsi.
No rattles unless my sunglasses are in there.

MaccaTSI
19-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys, unfortunately I don't have any sunglasses in there.
I thought it was the holder at first not being closed properly so I checked it out and thats when I noticed it seems to be the console itself that's causing the rattle

Grover
20-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Yep... mine has developed a terrible rattle which is nothing to do with the sun-glasses. I suspect that when the dealer installed the microphone for the blutooth kit, there has not been much care taken (as per usual).

I want to remove the console cover and tidy up what is in there. Does anyone have a WIKI or "How To" for the roof mounted console?

Grover
21-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Fixed... took me about 5 minutes... exactly what I thought is was. Dealer workshop mechanics are the root of all evil.

J-Tim
22-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Sharing is caring.
How did you fix it ? :)

Grover
22-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Opened up the console (the section which houses the microphone pops out giving access to the cavity); wrapped some padding around the plastic plug used to connect the microphone (this was rattling against the plastic console housing); re-assembled.

Schnapp
22-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Is there a guide somewhere on how to open up the roof centre console?

Grover
23-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Unfortunately I don't have any photos but I can try and explain the disassembly process...

At the rear of the roof console there is a compartment for the storage of sunglasses. Initially I thought this would be the key and tried to lever this out. I could not get it out for fear of breaking something so I checked with the local dealer.

The next section along from the sunglasses compartment is designed to look like two speaker grills but they are both fake with the one on the drivers side housing the microphone (for blutooth phone kit) in one small section. This is the panel which actually lifts out. Initially I tried to lever it out from the front (windscreen side), but it actually comes out from the rear (edge closest to the sunglasses compartment).

TIP: Often people use screwdrivers for levering out plastic trim. This is one of the worst tools you can use as it will result in damage most of the time. I use a plastic kitchen spatular.

One you have lifted the rear edge away, it will hinge down and can be removed by unclipping the front tabs. This now gives you access to two star screw which can be removed allowing the whole section panel (including map lights etc) to be pulled out.

I hope this helps.

Schnapp
23-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Unfortunately I don't have any photos but I can try and explain the disassembly process...

At the rear of the roof console there is a compartment for the storage of sunglasses. Initially I thought this would be the key and tried to lever this out. I could not get it out for fear of breaking something so I checked with the local dealer.

The next section along from the sunglasses compartment is designed to look like two speaker grills but they are both fake with the one on the drivers side housing the microphone (for blutooth phone kit) in one small section. This is the panel which actually lifts out. Initially I tried to lever it out from the front (windscreen side), but it actually comes out from the rear (edge closest to the sunglasses compartment).

TIP: Often people use screwdrivers for levering out plastic trim. This is one of the worst tools you can use as it will result in damage most of the time. I use a plastic kitchen spatular.

One you have lifted the rear edge away, it will hinge down and can be removed by unclipping the front tabs. This now gives you access to two star screw which can be removed allowing the whole section panel (including map lights etc) to be pulled out.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Grover :thumbup::thumbup:

Tobes_WIR35
06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
After about 6 months of thinking the rattle was coming from the passenger A pillar or AC vent, I, like you, put some pressure on the roof console panel and the rattle went away. This rattle has been driving me a bit mad as it's gotten gradually more frequent and audible.
Thanks for the fix info, I've given it a shot. Instead of foam I used lengths of electrical tape rolled in a cylinder with the sticky side out, we'll see how it goes, I have about 100km to drive this afternoon.

Jmr84
08-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Now now Grover not all dealership technicians are the devil. Some of us actually take pride in our work. :-) glad you fixed your issue. I must say we haven't had this issue arise in our dealership so it's good to hear of other faults to learn from. Cheers.

Hillbilly
08-10-2012, 07:31 AM
I have the PDF files on all this but dont know how to include them in a post.

bamble
08-10-2012, 03:22 PM
I have this exact issue - edition 35, started at about 3,000kms

Tobes_WIR35
10-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Ok so my fix didn't completely get rid of the rattle but at least I know the source of the problem and I'll attempt a more permanent solution this weekend. The problem seems to be the Bluetooth microphone bring a little loose fitting into the clip-in housing.

jamesdavid
10-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I like how your quick to assume all "dealer" mechanics are the same grover. I have been a factory trained dealer mechanic for over 5 years now and i have always gone an extra step to ensure my repairs are of the highest quality and do not cause a repeat repair.

Perhaps it would be wise to associate your problem with the specific dealer in question as opposed to "dealer" mechanics in general, given that half of the time any optional extras are fitted by pre-delivery vehicle fitters as opposed to mechanics.

bamble
11-10-2012, 11:24 AM
My car is factory spec with no dealer fitted options... So I don't believe this 'problem' has anything to do with dealers anyway

Tobes_WIR35
11-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't want to turn this into a discussion about dealer mechanics other than saying both VW Kedron and VW Newstead have been very satisfactory. Other new vehicles I have owned such as Nissans, Holdens, Ford, Mitsubishi, not so much (sometimes infuriating and lazy).
The part I don't like is that when you drop off and collect your car, you speak to a non-technical service advisor. Ideally I would like to speak to the mechanic who works on my car. That way we are both on the same page, and things don't get lost in translation.