PDA

View Full Version : To APR tune or not to APR tune my Polo GTI

mscabrio
22-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I am hoping to finally pick up my GTI at the end of this week. I am keen to have it APR tuned as I have seen what it can do with the new beetle, however I have not heard a lot about them in the Polo's. One thing that I did hear was that it makes the car a little unpredictable with a tendancy to loose its rear if pushed too hard, I have a bit of a heavy right foot thanks to years of driving the old aircooled bugs and am a bit worried about wrapping it around a pole the day I pick it up.

What are the thoughts of those of you with APR tuned GTI's ??????

h100vw
22-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Your car wont oversteer naturally VWs dont in my experience. The suspension is tuned to be safe ie understeer.

You will have to pay more attention to the world around you if you use the power you get from having the car chipped.

It doesn't matter who chips your car as they are much of a muchness. I would pick one that is close by in case you need to go back for any reason.

Gavin

Golf Loon
22-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I only hear good things about APR, but why not try the car stock and see how it is, then try a demo from each chip manufacturer you are considering.

evorobin
22-01-2007, 09:12 PM
APR claim to give 125KW @ the wheels. I'd be happy with that!

Kai
22-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Since ive had mine done, ive loved it every step of the way.

With the part of losing the rear end. Yes, ive done it on a wet road on a sharp corner with the foot floored. Other than that, its very very hard. :)

Eddy
22-01-2007, 10:57 PM
I am hoping to finally pick up my GTI at the end of this week. I am keen to have it APR tuned as I have seen what it can do with the new beetle, however I have not heard a lot about them in the Polo's. One thing that I did hear was that it makes the car a little unpredictable with a tendancy to loose its rear if pushed too hard, I have a bit of a heavy right foot thanks to years of driving the old aircooled bugs and am a bit worried about wrapping it around a pole the day I pick it up.

What are the thoughts of those of you with APR tuned GTI's ??????
Hoyhoy.
I've got one, only if I was younger. I would probably wrap myself around one of those poles, showing the LADIES what a fast car can do. So if you haven't got the KNACKERS don't do it.
P.S. Unless you want to have real enjoyment & leave the poles alone.

mscabrio
23-01-2007, 05:40 AM
I didn't realise that you could a demo run of the chip, I am thinking that this will be the way to go. :D

Now I only have to wait for my new GTI to arrive ...... Gee it is taking a looooooong time :confused:

Guy_H
23-01-2007, 08:04 AM
I think the new Power Steer unit makes the Polo pretty easy to control at chip level - mind you, if you are giving it a lot of stick, you need to be attentive.

The lift off oversteer (back moving out) is not an effect from the power, thats balance & inertia (easy to do in a stock car - ever see Top Gears "superstar in an ordinary car" :D )

There is torque steer, but from what I hear, its not a patch on the MP3 mazda!

You will enjoy the car - pop the free trial in when your car arrives!

brumue
23-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi,

First time poster.
I am also a Polo driver facing the same dilemma.
My car is about to celebrate its first birthday on the 4th of Feb
and i am thinking that it might need a bit of a birthday present.

I think i have got used to the power its got at the moment and am ready for some more :D , will need to go in for the trial.

Cheers,
Bruno

saba
23-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know if their is someone that installs the APR chip in WA and if so how much????

Flaps
23-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I got mine done 2 weeks ago. Been to hot to really give it heaps, but its worth it!

Just be carefull with uneven roads. I've been launched into the other lane a couple of times in 2nd gear.

WRXconvert
23-01-2007, 09:52 AM
how much is the flash? also if i upgrade a turbo or intercooler or exhaust, does that mean i have to get it re flashed?

Timbo
23-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Just be carefull with uneven roads. I've been launched into the other lane a couple of times in 2nd gear.

Underscores the importance of considering suspension and brake mods at the same time.

I draw everyone's attention to Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson, and his review of the Pog:

Clarkson's review of the Polo GTI (http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2457674,00.html)

Guy_H
23-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey Saba - WA dealer & prices are on the website - www.goapr.com.au -

Flaps, yes - gunning it in second is probably the maximum effect possible for torque steer - so that would push the friendship with traction!

saba
23-01-2007, 10:27 AM
thanks guy!

Guy_H
23-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Underscores the importance of considering suspension and brake mods at the same time.

I draw everyone's attention to Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson, and his review of the Pog:

Clarkson's review of the Polo GTI (http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2457674,00.html)

lol - that clarkson review - on page one, I was wondering if it was the wrong article!

Vieussuex
25-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Have u considered a GIAC flash.:D :D