PDA

View Full Version : Transmission direction conversion

49thdiver
18-08-2009, 04:12 PM
I have heard that if your building a custom ride ie a sand rail and want to mount your engine backwards ie timing belt facing back and the tranny facing forward. You can change or flip the gears to get the drive to run in the opposite direction. How you learn to shift is a different question.

Has anyone else ever heard or done this and can you point me to some good information regarding this conversion.

Peter

Jmac
18-08-2009, 09:15 PM
What about fitting a Getrag from a 996 mate, its already is facing the right way. Boxster 986 has the Audi 5speed but is at the rear facing same way as audi as its rearmost. Hmm seem to remember it was a case of reversing the crown wheel mate. What about doing your rail so its the engine behind you then trans, that way you can keep the same config? same sort of set up as a boxster if you know what i mean.
Cheers
Jmac

IanJ
21-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Old VW or Porsche box would be the simplest way to go. If you're not going silly power the VW box might just do the job.

Jmac
21-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah thats right. I jumped at the 996 Getrag as you woul dbe set for the sillyness right away
Cheers
Jmac

IanJ
22-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah thats right. I jumped at the 996 Getrag as you woul dbe set for the sillyness right away
Cheers
Jmac

I didn't mean silliness was a bad thing...it's just if you want to get really silly it costs money

:driver::toast:

Jmac
22-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Again i agree totally.:cool:

JVLR32
24-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Old VW or Porsche box would be the simplest way to go. If you're not going silly power the VW box might just do the job.

forget a vw box....unless u go a Lbox vw with straight cuts, albins,quaife stuff not worth it.....i had one and sunk 6k into it.....
theres better options at cheaper prices...

Lots of bloke goin for Reno boxes(if u can get hands on one)
G50 porsche boxes very strong too(just weigh a tonne)