PDA

View Full Version : iRacing releases the VW Jetta TDI Cup

No457 Snowy
16-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Anyone here tried the iRacing subscription service? I'm going to sign up for a 6 month subscription and try it out. It's subscription based (ie, ongoing cost for renewal and to purchase more content), tightly regulated, license and safety rating based, online racing (wreckers will lose their license!!).

Sounds perfect for competitive, clean racing based on ranking, driving history and ability, all on laser scanned tracks (accurate to the mm).

For the price of a latest release sim title, I'm going to try it for 6 months and then decide again at renewal time.

http://www.iracing.com/newsEvents/index.php

Snowy. :)

funkamedic
16-08-2009, 10:52 PM
i have done a few practice laps here and there, more recently in the lotus 79 :banana:

my bro is right into it. we were both fans of David Kaemmer and Papyrus, especially Grand Prix Legends.

bro has been doing really well, is well ranked and has raced against the likes of Alex Gurney (son of Dan Gurney) and Dale Earnhardt Jr.

as far as sims go, it's pretty damn cool!

No457 Snowy
17-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Yeah with regard to the physics and feel it's bloody fantastic from the time I spent with it this arvo. Quite a few major race teams and big name racers are using it for training and track familiarity sessions, such is the accuracy. :cool:

I subscribed today, took up the 6 months deal that came with the Lotus 79. I can see why it's been referred to as "Digital Cocaine".

Apparently there's Aussie content in the future pipeline as well (read Bathurst track). :banana:

At least with the subscription business model they will be getting a constant flow of funding for continued development and the laser scanning of new tracks and also licensing contracts with car manufacturers like the one they just did with VW.

static1800
17-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Might check it out, I play GTR evo and rfactor but always struggle to find aussie servers running. What is it like on iracing?

No457 Snowy
17-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Might check it out, I play GTR evo and rfactor but always struggle to find aussie servers running. What is it like on iracing?

I'm still getting my feet wet mate, so haven't had a chance to see how to work out all the scheduled sessions and events, but considering iRacing 100% online dependent, I'm expecting it'll be pretty good.

I know the iRacing organisers have catered for us Aussies by recently setting up a local server in Sydney. They have a pretty good Aussie forum in the members section which looks like a very active and supportive community.

I'll post up my impressions as I go.

static1800
17-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Cool, just sent an email through to get the plans for this. Seems like a nice little setup, will mod up my own monitor stand for it too. Plans are free to get, you just have to send through and agree to not distribute them.

http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum/index.php?topic=894.msg10126#msg10126

No457 Snowy
18-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Cool, just sent an email through to get the plans for this. Seems like a nice little setup, will mod up my own monitor stand for it too. Plans are free to get, you just have to send through and agree to not distribute them.

http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum/index.php?topic=894.msg10126#msg10126

That's a nice setup for sure, should be a satisfying, fun project too. It makes such a difference to have a decent seat and a good wheel setup. Some people might think it's overkill but once you try it, the immersion level goes up so much there's just no turning back to an office chair with a wheel clamp to a desk. :cool:

I got sick of getting a sore neck and shoulders, so last year splurged on a Play-Seat and love it.

Those simulators (Troyton, I think) they advertise on tele during the V8 Supercar races look awesome, god knows how much they are though.

funkamedic
18-08-2009, 04:44 PM

i not 100%, but i know my bro Matt races late at night against internationals and there aren't typically many Aussies, if any. He's a night owl anyway so not sure if this is preference or necessity, plus he's ranked pretty well so i think he is in a more experienced league, which i assume limits race options.

That's a nice setup for sure, should be a satisfying, fun project too. It makes such a difference to have a decent seat and a good wheel setup. Some people might think it's overkill but once you try it, the immersion level goes up so much there's just no turning back to an office chair with a wheel clamp to a desk. :cool:

for sure. I know Matt reckons if he had a decent setup (especially the forcefeedback pressure sensitive pedals) he could improve his lap times - but he's a poor writer at the mo, so he'll have to make do for now...

Rocket36
18-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Well after comparing both for a while, I reckon rFactor is much more fun, soooo much more realistic and doesn't require a subscription. So going to stick with it.

static1800
18-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I've got a Logitech G25 which i'm very happy with, even though its annoying to setup atm.

Got my plans! just need to print them out so I can make a template.

I've been playing Rfactor a lot lately, been downloading a few mods which seems to be a let down with GTR evo. GTR evo has Nordschleife and the full Ring track on it though :) Will give Iracing a try, playing against the pc bots only lasts so long.

Rocket36
18-08-2009, 05:33 PM
If you have rFactor, you should be racing online! We had 23ppl on the other night. Average is about 20.

static1800
18-08-2009, 05:37 PM
On an aussie based server? what cars and tracks were you running?

Rocket36
18-08-2009, 05:42 PM
yup - Aussie servers, racing leagues, comps you name it! We're doing a few different series at the moment including A1 (practicing for Brands Hatch at the moment). I LOVE A1s cause they're SO hard to drive fast. We use low traction, low abs and auto clutch and THAT'S IT for aides.

Look for the SLAK servers. Also raced with the Ausfactor guys a bit too...

No457 Snowy
18-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I haven't tried R-factor, but I do have GTR Evo which I do like a lot. The positive aspect of the subscription business model is that as the iRacing service is relatively new but as it continues to grow membership, subscription provides a continuous flow of revenue for more development of the service, the software and licensing for laser scanning tracks and cars.

I'm happy with what I've gotten so far, the Rookie class Pontiac Solstice is a bland drive, but it's a good car to develop speed and learning how to position a car on the track and to hit the apexes while carrying good momentum through corners. Everyone has to start with this car for Road Racing.

I got a $25 iRacing bonus credit with the subscription so my plan is to get my Safety Rating up, graduate my license class, buy the VW Jetta and start some TDI Cup racing. :banana:

Rocket36
18-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Regardless of the subscription = better/more game development, rFactor will still beat it as it's open source. There literally is NOT a category of motorsport you can't race in rFactor. Just download the mod/track/etc, install, play.

No457 Snowy
18-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Regardless of the subscription = better/more game development, rFactor will still beat it as it's open source. There literally is NOT a category of motorsport you can't race in rFactor. Just download the mod/track/etc, install, play.

Alright, alright! Your sim is better than mine!. :rolleyes:

Snowy.

Rocket36
18-08-2009, 07:01 PM
lol

I've played both... just my opinion. :D

No457 Snowy
18-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I'll grab a copy of R-factor. Not sure of details when, but R-Factor2 is on the horizon apparently. Should be an exiting release. :cool:

Rocket36
18-08-2009, 07:13 PM
yeah I had heard rumours of later this year or early next year. It's a complete re-make so non of the hundreds of mods/tracks etc for rFactor will carry across but the engine upgrade and new Graphics should be good.

static1800
18-08-2009, 07:13 PM
what is your rfactor user Rocket?

Rocket36
18-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd rather not say on a public forum as I don't want any rep from either over-lapping.

static1800
18-08-2009, 07:16 PM
pm me then :)

No457 Snowy
19-08-2009, 08:10 AM
There's another feature of iRacing that is appealing, you must race under your real name, therefore assuming a much higher level of personal responsibility for your actions than is the case when people race on public servers under fake screen names.

Also you must maintain certain Safety Rating and be appropriately Licensed to run certain cars/tracks.

Basically there is more at stake on a personal behaviour level and what you have access to when on track with others. (Because if you mess up in either case you won't have access for long).

Snowy :)

static1800
19-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Was racing V8's last night on a server practice night, some nice guys on there.

Only just started using the mod and got thrown in without any assists no t/c, no auto clutch or anything. Ended up being 4-5 seconds off the lead guys within and hour or so which i was happy with. Getting 600hp to the ground is tricky :)

Still going to give Iracing a try though :)

No457 Snowy
19-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Was racing V8's last night on a server practice night, some nice guys on there.

Only just started using the mod and got thrown in without any assists no t/c, no auto clutch or anything. Ended up being 4-5 seconds off the lead guys within and hour or so which i was happy with. Getting 600hp to the ground is tricky :)

Still going to give Iracing a try though :)

Sounds great mate, a lot of fun for sure. If you hook up with a bunch of guys and get together on a regular basis and get to know each other, that's a good scenario.

I just started practicing for an event at Lime Park in iRacing and I'm the same, 4-5 secs off the lead Qualifying time, some guys can really drive, you do what you think is a great lap and just wonder where the hell your going to pull another 4 seconds from!! :)

Just got to keep working on it.

Rocket36
19-08-2009, 10:53 AM
People who are abusive, reckless or deliberately do stupid crap in rFactor won't last long without their game key being banned either. That's got nothing to do with your name.

static1800
19-08-2009, 11:29 AM
The server i was on was a league server but it was there practice night, going to try and join them. Even though when i first came on i was spinning on every corner they didn't mind :) I stayed out of their way and ended up doing some races managed to not come last due to some dnf's :)

Rocket36
19-08-2009, 11:38 AM
If you're online at all, try the SLAK rFactor server. Current mod is Enduro's and the track is Laguna Seca.

No457 Snowy
19-08-2009, 12:08 PM
People who are abusive, reckless or deliberately do stupid crap in rFactor won't last long without their game key being banned either. That's got nothing to do with your name.

Well as you keep reminding us all in every thread where you post polarising comments, "that is my opinion"

If your real name is directly associated with your behaviour you would be less likely to create mischief. :emo_baghead:

People can re-register repeatedly under many fake names, but they can only register once with a real name.

Spin that how you like.

Rocket36
19-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Spin? I'm not in the Labor Party so I don't SPIN anything! :D

Real names can be faked too. That's not a big deal. Hell, today I might call myself Michael Literous. :nana:

No457 Snowy
19-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Spin? I'm not in the Labor Party so I don't SPIN anything! :D

Real names can be faked too. That's not a big deal. Hell, today I might call myself Michael Literous. :nana:

So when you sign up for iRacing, how do you fake your real name, it takes your name from your Credit Card details or a Paypal Acc which must be linked to a Credit Card or Bank Acc?

Rocket36
19-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Well that's slightly different but I have two a seperate PayPal accounts - for selling stuff on ebay that doesn't use my real name. I buy with my real name account though.

No457 Snowy
19-08-2009, 01:02 PM
So when you tried iRacing you had to use your real name, correct?

Rocket36
19-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Nope - I didn't use my credit card :D

No457 Snowy
19-08-2009, 01:15 PM
So what did you use?

static1800
19-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Let's leave this discussion guys....

more chat about race sims less about names...

No457 Snowy
19-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Sorry mods, like I was saying, one of the rules to participate in iRacing is that all drivers must register their real name and I was just curious how someone had illegally used a false name to breach the iRacing Usage Agreement and also somehow circumvented the system.

For reference here is the Usage Agreement Clause in question:

Much of the satisfaction of being a member of our community comes from the personal relationships that are formed and maintained here. For that reason, we require members to register using their real names, which, in addition to facilitating friendships, promotes personal responsibility.

So for other members who may wish to subscribe and try iRacing out, how it works is that ALL registrations must be supported with a Credit Card or a PayPal Acc which is according PayPal's policy, linked to either a Credit Card or Bank Acc. (Warning: It is against the law to operate a Credit Card or Bank Acc under a false name)

Rocket36
19-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I didn't use a bank or credit card under a false name. I used somebody else's card with their permission. Not that I understand at all why you care! You're taking all this far too seriously mate. Using a false name isn't illegal. If it was, you wouldn't call yourself "No457 Snowy" on this forum. PM me if you're still overly concerned. I take the matter of protecting my identity as much as possible (especially online) very seriously. The worst thing that can happen is that iRacing terminates my subscription for breaching their usage agreement (which is not a law by the way) but they don't need to worry any more because I no longer subscribe. Of course there is another possibility too and that is that none of anything I have said is the truth (for which there is no forum rule by the way) - this is an online forum after all :D And as Static1800 has said, let's leave this discussion. I have too much rocket engineering work NASA require by the end of this week to complete.

static1800
19-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Just signed up for Iracing, got the Lotus 79 as a bonus :)

might be a while until it lets me drive it though :)

No457 Snowy
19-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, lets leave it.

I read the new G27 review last night, I wonder why they decided to remove the sequential shifter functionality of the G25? Seems like a backward step as that's what many modern Touring Cars use. I would assume a lot of people use that, more-so than the H pattern, I know I do.

No457 Snowy
19-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Just signed up for Iracing, got the Lotus 79 as a bonus :)

might be a while until it lets me drive it though :)

You will be able to drive it on the Test track, but not competing.

Also mate, if you did the $60/6 month deal, you should also have got a $25 bonus, I think. I'm going to spend $15 of mine on the VW Jetta. Even as a Rookie you can race the Jetta if you get your safety rating up to 4.0 (I think). :banana: That's my short term plan, anyway.

It will be good to get out of the Pontiac Solstice (sluggish) and into the Dub.

Rocket36
19-08-2009, 03:47 PM
The sequential shifter on my Logitec Momo Racing wheel (I couldn't justify the G25 - esp. with less wheel bbuttons) for brake bias which is GREAT! I can adjust it to be perfect for different corners. If they remove a sequential shifter functionality I might have to consider keeping my current setup even longer!

Rocket36
19-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I should note I only use the paddles to shift... Not 100% accurate for all cars I race, but the quickest and easiest way to be fast.

static1800
20-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Started playing Iracing last night, for some reason my G25 is having a massive issue with force feedback. It was shaking violently when ever you turned the wheel and wouldn't stop! so had to turn it off.

Had a go at the Solstices, was quite a bit off the pace though when i tried a race then totaled my car :)

No457 Snowy
20-08-2009, 01:30 PM
What are your Profiler settings and what driver version are you running? It might pay to uninstall them and grab the latest ones from Logitech website.

Also, check you have the wheel rotation set in the Profiler for 900 degrees, iRacing then automatically sets the correct steering ratio for the chosen car.

No457 Snowy
23-08-2009, 01:10 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/IracingVWJetta1-1.jpg