PDA

View Full Version : They broke my Tig!

Arctra
16-08-2009, 08:39 AM
So I just got back from a week's leave in the Snowies, and whilst I was playing a game of hockey someone smashed the drivers side window on my 3 month old Tig :mad: It was a clear smash and grab as they only managed to get the GPS, sunnies, and camera (which was hidden in the center consol), and reverse parking screen. I guess the fact that it was near the road in broad daylight was the reason they didn't totally ransack the car.

Anyway, called O'Brien about getting it replaced and they said they'd need to get an OEM window from a dealer and they couldn't do it today. They couldn't give me a price either. Anyone had to replace theirs yet and have an idea about what the damage will be? :confused: The excess on my insurance is $600 so I'm guessing the repair is coming out of my own pocket.

I'm just grateful they only took what they did and didn't take the car. Also glad I have secure parking at home and work so don't have to be concerned about the car being stolen while I wait for the repair. It has also convinced me to get a built in GPS headunit which I'm hoping will be less attractive to break in for.

mikinoz
16-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Pricks. I felt pretty safe in Five Dock, but the bastards come from everywhere to get whatever trinkets they can sell for smack.

Lucky it did not rain and get wet!

Sharkie
16-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Very sorry to hear about the break Actra ... :mad:

This is the exact reason I've fitted the Alarm from VW as it has many internal motion sensors and would have gone off loudly to prevent them stealing anything. Would not have prevented the window break though ...

Also, it is very unlikely they would have been able to steal the car as it has an immobiliser as standard and without the key cannot be driven. Park it anywhere you like, it will still be there, the contents may be gone though !

Pullstarter
16-08-2009, 09:47 AM
That sux ass Arctra :mad: Damn scumbags are everywhere :brutal:

I'm not sure if your insurance policy is the same but with mine I get a free windscreen or any other window replaced free of charge (no excess) once per year. May be worth asking your insurance co.

clip
16-08-2009, 09:53 AM
very sorry to hear that arctra. Seems there's more and more lowlifes out there now just waiting for an opportunity to destroy other people's property and take what isn't theirs - like somehow the world owes them and they have the right to do this sort of crap! And even when they get caught, all they get is this :n: when what they really need is this: :fist: then this :policeman:

Arctra
16-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I didn't think to take photo's at the time (funnily enough, had a few other things on my mind) but this is the cleaned up aftermath:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/SNC00038s-1.jpg
You can see the wires from where they ripped the GPS, phone charger, and reversing camera screen out.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/SNC00040s-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/SNC00041s-1.jpg
Some of the glass on the back footwell. There's glass in the seat rails and everything too.... hmmmm, crunchy.

I was quite surprised at how much glass there was! I tried my hardest to clean the glass off the seats before driving home, but I think there has been some minor scuffing to the leather :( I'll be trying to clean up as much of the remaining glass today with vacuum and soft cloths, but there is glass everywhere. Think I'm going to have to take it to be detailed somewhere reputable. Also hope whoever replaces the window cleans up all the glass that's fallen down into the door.

As for insurance claims, apparently I did not opt for the window protection, so no free replacement for me :duh:

Thanks for the sympathies guys.

Driven Threads
16-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Bad luck mate. That really sux. Lowest forms of human life they are!! Hope you can get it repaired quickly and easily. Cheers.

Tim
16-08-2009, 10:25 AM
if there is damage to the leather claim it on insurance

Sanman
16-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Tough luck.
Good they didn't damage any paint though.
Some upper brands offer a unbreakable side glass (nitrile sandwich) which would be far more useful an option than tint, though I suspect that would not sit well in potential buyer's minds.
The Tiguan has deadlock, which means the lock rods are frozen, but more importantly, the inner door handles cannot be opened to get free access to your goodies. I couldn't understand from the manual if it was on by default, or you had to do something special with the keyfob.

Arctra
16-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Interesting Sanman. Nice to know there is good security there.

Funny enough, I was wondering whether tinting would strengthen the glass at all and make it more difficult to break? I presume the tint is basically a plastic laminate? It's not going to make the window unbreakable I know, but it might have prevented them from being able to snatch stuff from inside the car, even if they broke/cracked the window.

Maverick
16-08-2009, 11:11 AM
The Tiguan has deadlock, which means the lock rods are frozen, but more importantly, the inner door handles cannot be opened to get free access to your goodies. I couldn't understand from the manual if it was on by default, or you had to do something special with the keyfob.

Pretty well every VAG car has deadlocks enabled by default hence why the manual warns not to lock the car with anyone inside as they can't operate the windows nor can they open the doors.

WannaTig
16-08-2009, 11:26 AM
:mad:
Bastards.
Sorry to hear this; there are far too many asshats around.
Hope it all gets fixed quick so this is just a bad memory.

goodfella
16-08-2009, 11:30 AM
So I just got back from a week's leave in the Snowies, and whilst I was playing a game of hockey someone smashed the drivers side window on my 3 month old Tig :mad:

Dean, so sorry to hear, its the biggest gut wrentching feeling walking to your car and seeing the broken window! So where exactly did this happen, ie Snowies-Five Dock- or hockey field? Just curious.

This has happened to me when we were living down Parra' road in Summer Hill. My mazda was a typical snatch and grab job as well as the drivers window was smashed and pushed in, I assume the tinting did stop it from shattering fully. And my car was only 5 weeks old!!!

I feared the worst a few weeks back when I noticed 2 distinct handprints in the morning frost on the rear passenger window.... somebody is watching me:mad: hopefully they felt the fear and ran away crying like a little girl!

DJY
16-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Sad news indeed...
not only that the stole things from you - but they did such terrible things to your Tiguan!!!!

never good!

I had the same happen to my last car - my Alfa 147...
insurance company didn't pay out for full costs of things stolen - as I didn't have "world wide" cover on my contents (house insurance) which would have doubled my home insurance...
and car insurance didn't cover them - as they weren't part of my car.
sigh

oh yes and my "secure" parking at home wasn't regarded as "secure" by the insurance company as it allowed other residents into it (underground carpark below my unit).

That is why I never leave my Tom Tom in my car, and why I am only going to install a proper full headunit GPS in my Tiguan.

For the record - I changed insurance companies (because of this incident)... and have since changed address (unrelated - I bought a house).

Arctra
16-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Dean, so sorry to hear, its the biggest gut wrentching feeling walking to your car and seeing the broken window! So where exactly did this happen, ie Snowies-Five Dock- or hockey field? Just curious.

Thanks man. Happened out at Little Bay whilst I was playing hockey. My girlfriend came to me at half time on the phone to the police asking me details. Lets say I played the second half of the game in anger! :mad: Think it actually did my game good :D

I feared the worst a few weeks back when I noticed 2 distinct handprints in the morning frost on the rear passenger window.... somebody is watching me:mad: hopefully they felt the fear and ran away crying like a little girl!

:rolllaugh: Hell hath no fury like a man whose VW has just been broken into!

Sad news indeed...
not only that the stole things from you - but they did such terrible things to your Tiguan!!!!
Yeah, to be honest I don't care about the stuff they took. I care about the fact that they've smashed my window. My poor Tig's been violated! :(

insurance company didn't pay out for full costs of things stolen - as I didn't have "world wide" cover on my contents (house insurance) which would have doubled my home insurance...
and car insurance didn't cover them - as they weren't part of my car.
I'm still to check on the household insurance, but the car insurance doesn't cover the stuff for the same reason as you... they aren't part of the car and weren't specifically listed on the policy. Oh well, hope household contents covers it.

oh yes and my "secure" parking at home wasn't regarded as "secure" by the insurance company as it allowed other residents into it (underground carpark below my unit).
Ohhhh!? That's the sort of parking I have and thought it was secure. Guess I'd better confirm that then hey. Thanks for pointing that out!

Cam
16-08-2009, 03:41 PM
So sorry to hear this Arctra
:(

Makes me really angry when I hear when things like this happen. Not just to VW's, but cars and other people's property in general. There are some real arseholes around.

Its unfortunate but sometimes you can just be in the wrong place at the wrong time for stuff like this to happen. As far as the window it may take up to a week to replace, when I was hit/side swiped down the drivers side it broke and scratched the glass for the drivers window so they had to get a new pane. The actual repairs to the whole car (i.e spray painting, new panels etc) only took a few days. It took longer to get the OEM parts than anything else.

From memory it was roughly a week when I had a cracked windscreen as well, for the windscreen place to organise an OEM replacement.

Arctra
16-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks mate. Can you remember how much the window cost by any chance? I'm bracing for the hurt! :D

Arctra
17-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Well this gets better. It appears there are no spare windows available in Aus or Singapore (which is the VW Asia spares hub) so they are having to fly one out from Germany! I'll be lucky if I get it fixed this week.

I must say, I am very disappointed that VW Aus don't have spares in stock. One would have thought that on new models they would look at the most likely parts to need replacement, and surely windows would rank up there at the top, and make sure that you maintain a minimum level of inventory of those parts. *sigh* Ah well, guess I'll just have to be patient.

Cam
17-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks mate. Can you remember how much the window cost by any chance? I'm bracing for the hurt! :D

Mine was covered under insurance so I'm not sure.
But I'm guessing it wasn't cheap. Like the quote I got for my 30,000km service this morning $495.
:(

Argh that sucks that they have no spares in Oz. It doesn't really surprise me though. Actually I don't think its necessarily a VW thing specifically, a relative of mine needed to get a part for a Toyota Hilux. They only had a stock count of 4 left in Australia (he was lucky enough to get one of them)

I think they only stock minimal parts. But I know what you mean, when it comes to spares like windows they should be stocked readily available!

Arctra
17-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I have sent a letter to VW Australia via their website:

Hello.

This weekend (15/8/09) my drivers side front window on my Tiguan was smashed by thieves. This morning when I rang my dealer to get a replacement I was told that there are no spare windows in Australia or Singapore, and that I have to wait for it to be express delivered from Germany. At best it will be here at the end of the week.

My dealer (Chatswood Classic Cars) have been very helpful and polite about the whole situation, but the fact of the matter is I have to now try and secure my vehicle for a week while waiting for a new window.

How can VW Australia not have stock of a part that is so critical to vehicle security, and so likely to need replacement? (compared to the rest of an otherwise solid vehicle). Might I ask, as a VW Tiguan owner, that you review your spares management to ensure that if I (or any other Tiguan owner) do have another problem I don't have to wait for spares to be shipped internationally, and have to find a way of securing alternative transport.

Kind regards,
Dean.

NZTiguan
17-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Having a look in NZ through my dealer but unfortunately I'm in the middle on nowhere here so can only email and pray !! I think I'd be demanding that they pull one out of a stock vehicle and worry about the delay replacing THEIRS !!!!

Cheers

Arctra
17-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for inquiring for me anyway.

I was kind of hoping they'd pull one out of a stock vehicle, but that's where the problem is I suspect... there isn't much in the way of spare stock in Aus so they don't want to compromise their chances of selling a vehicle for the sake of expediting my repair :(

DJY
17-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Very disappointing that they don't maintain stock!

Can understand IF it didn't have to be OEM / VW specific...
but with the number of cars they are selling...
I'm very disappointed they don't keep a certain level of stock of items they know they would use regularly!?!?!?

NZTiguan
18-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks for inquiring for me anyway.

I was kind of hoping they'd pull one out of a stock vehicle, but that's where the problem is I suspect... there isn't much in the way of spare stock in Aus so they don't want to compromise their chances of selling a vehicle for the sake of expediting my repair :(

Hey Arctra

Just been advised that Southern Motor Group: Contact Bruce Norris Dunedin 64 3 456 2764 bnorris@smcourt.co.nz can provide your window out of Auckland stock if somebody wants to chase it up !!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bayman
18-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I have sent a letter to VW Australia via their website:

Good going Dean for complaining to VW Aust. I did a similar thing re VW deletion of baggage hooks in TDI Tig and received a phone call from a VW fella within a week. I didn't get it resolved to my satisfaction but felt better for doing it.

You could also drop an email to paul.gover@bigpond.com (Cars Guide). He is very helpful and would take it to Jutta Dierks (MD) of VW Aust as an issue if you are getting the run around. I would let him know anyway as an update on how VW are treating their owners as Jutta Dierks is serious about improving VW's image in Australia and well this is a let down. The Tiguan has been out for 18 months so surely Germany can release at least one for a permanent Australian spares.

I would hate to think how hard it may be to get a sunroof glass repaired, say after a severe hail storm or some vandal/thief heaven forbid. Apart from the above, like everyone else sorry to hear this occurred.
I have been victim of car rape years ago Commodore 4.2litre V8 stolen and tyres were feathered and engine had been thrashed. The best way to get over this is for a quick repair, so VW Aust need to smarten their act.

NZTiguan
19-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Hey Arctra

Just been advised that Southern Motor Group: Contact Bruce Norris Dunedin 64 3 456 2764 bnorris@smcourt.co.nz can provide your window out of Auckland stock if somebody wants to chase it up !!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bump

Hi Arctra

Did you get your guys to try NZ after this ??

Cheers

Arctra
19-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi.

Yeah, Aus don't seem to talk to NZ. Something about them not being on Dealer Link or something? If the part is not in Aus then they contact Singapore, and if it's not there then it's back to Germany. Seems crazy to me, but what do I know.

The dealer has express ordered it for me and according to Fedex it should be here Friday. I'm not holding my breath though. I called VW Assist too and the guy was sympathetic, but basically said that the dealer has done the best they can. Because my broken window is not a manufacturing defect I don't qualify for a VW replacement car while I wait for the new window. He did call me back yesterday afternoon though to tell me the Sydney area manager was looking for a Tig in stock that they could take the window out of for me. He pointed out this is highly unorthodox and it's a very special consideration for me if they do do that. I'm still waiting though so not sure it's actually going to happen.

I must say, this experience has left me concerned about my Tig. Is this just a once off unfortunate event from a simple mistake in getting a replenishment order in on time, or are VW Aus just not concerned about the customer once they've bought the vehicle? Getting a smashed window repaired should not be this difficult in ANY car, no matter how new it is. It's not like it's an obscure part that is hardly ever replaced that they can use the excuse of it not being cost beneficial to stock. *shrug*

Thanks for following up with your dealer for me though, I appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers
Dean.

NZTiguan
19-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Well I ordered my new Windscreen on Monday afternoon and the Tig's in getting it fitted right NOW. PLus we live in the middle of the South Island and the screen was sourced from Auckland. Now that's what I call GREAT service !!

Sorry Ausi is such a mess, you sure it's not run by your Rugby players ??? (just taking the pi$$)

By the way, the guy delivered me home and I got him to use the park-assist down the road cos he didn't believe it could do it. Completely blew his socks off, don't think he'll get the grin off his face for years !!!

Cheers

Arctra
19-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Woohoo! Just had a call from Chatswood Classic Cars and VW Australia has organised a window for me and are shipping it to Chatswood. I'm dropping my Tig off tomorrow and they're fitting it Friday morning. So I'll have my Tig back fixed and all on Friday afternoon.

I'm much happier about that, and appreciate whatever it is that VW Aus and Chatswood Classic have done to get this sorted. Hopefully there won't be this sort of problem for other Tig owners going forward.

NZTiguan
19-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Well done you !!! Just got mine back with the new screen all done and dusted. Insurance pays for them here without affecting your no-claims cos it's deemed a "safety issue" which is excellent !!

Cheers

Arctra
20-08-2009, 06:15 PM
All fixed! :banana:

Got a call from Chatswood this morning saying the window had arrived quicker than expected and that I should drop my Tig around. I did so and collected it this afternoon. The guys there were very friendly and polite, and I'm very happy it's been resolved.

Having a chat with them they said they'd like to this this sort of problem is one-off, but they couldn't assure me it wouldn't happen again. They said it's good I kicked up a stink as they keep telling the regional manager about nil-stock problems, so maybe the customer doing it will yield more fruitful results. I hope so too.

Thanks Chatswood Classic for all your assistance and helpfulness, and for VW Aus responding to my complaints.

Pullstarter
21-08-2009, 08:50 AM
It's a pretty bad situation when your car has to be insecure because of slack stock control (imagine if you only had street parking at home?). Glad it worked out ok for you though.

DJY
24-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry Ausi is such a mess, you sure it's not run by your Rugby players ??? (just taking the pi$$)

Next thing you will be having a go at our cricket team too?!!?! :bowdown::frown:

NZTiguan
25-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Next thing you will be having a go at our cricket team too?!!?! :bowdown::frown:

Do you guys play cricket ??? well now I think the POMs would tell it differently !! Ashes to ashes and all that !! Bugger !!

Tedhaggie
25-08-2009, 12:41 PM
FWIW, the laminate tinting on my shiop front plate glass windows has prevented access by breaking glass on at least 2 occassion, Be interesting to know how it performs on safety glass

Torn
25-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Car window tinting is good for theives, in that generally it holds all the bits of broken glass together making a clean brake and easier access to steal your gear.

It does provide some protection in the way of making it a little darker to see what is inside.

There are laminates that you can get for industrial and shop use that will strengthen the glass, though not sure if such a thing is available for cars