its going to be reasonably overwhelming to actually see it in the flesh
and be handed the keys just hoping to get some pointers on what i
should be checking prior to driving away and cursing I didnt see before
leaving the dealer

cheers

Sanman
15-08-2009, 08:57 PM
There was a thread on this.
Basically, check the options you ordered are there.
Check for scratches, paint chips and scuffs outside and in, rim damage etc.
These will be blamed on you if you come back with them later.
All else is a warranty claim

Pullstarter
15-08-2009, 10:45 PM
The delaer should also give you a checklist to sign, make sure you go over EVERYTHING on the check list THOROUGHLY and don't let them rush you. Happy Tigging :)

TIGG1
17-08-2009, 09:28 PM
thanks guys definatly looking forward to october

Bayman
17-08-2009, 10:30 PM
The delaer should also give you a checklist to sign, make sure you go over EVERYTHING on the check list THOROUGHLY and don't let them rush you. Happy Tigging :)

This is the predelivery checklist, I was never shown it or had to sign it.
Personally I find to thoroughly inspect the Tiguan all over would take the best part of an hour. I read here a good idea is to take a friend that has a good eye for detail. There are a few things I found afterwards on mine, 2 were fixed and one is just a few light scratches on the roof edge which surprises me because I saw the Tiguan the day before with all the protective stuff over the sun roof, so I am insure whether the dealer did it or the factory. I suspect the factory as there was polish over spray around the door rubbers that had definately been there a few months. I guess mishaps happen in the factory from time to time. It took me weeks to find it and that is why I chose Candy White as scratches are hard to see. Trouble with any defect, once you see it, it stares at you but then once you get a scratch or a dent, the car is broken in. As long as you enjoy driving it is the main thing.

The dealer has changed my rear trim OK and baggage hooks I did myself.
Check the alignment of all panels and rear tailgate. Mine has either moved or is slightly out but shuts perfectly. Taking it to dealer this week for assessment. I have heard and SEEN leather Tiguan fitted by accident with a cloth centre console so check all trim levels are there (this was an ex VW Aust Tiguan).

Also a good idea is to check coolant//oil levels whilst you check the engine bay. Also check VIN number is correct and all seat belts are sound.

After you get on the road go and check tyre pressures because mine were really high and giving a really rough ride, so I lowered them slightly.

Dont' be afraid to speak up. I have seen two guys argue and take an hour going all over a passat vehicle.

Happy driving a great vehicle.

gregozedobe
18-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I also took mine for a short drive before I handed my hard-earned dollars over. Also check that the VIN is correct on the rego papers and the rego sticker was on the car (mine had the wrong VIN on the rego paper and there was no sticker on the car).

Rosey
02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi Guys,

got a call from dealer advising that Tiggy is ready for pick up Monday!!!!:banana: while I will make sure to go through the steps given in this thread before taking possession of the car, I do have a question and hopefully you guys can help me out. At time of test driving dealer provided us with a Tig which was already sold and we were allowed to take it for a spin, I did ask him if that was normal given the fact that it was not a demo car!:confused:

Hence, anticipating dealer doing the same thing with our Tig, should I be alarm to see a few kms on the vehicle? or is it a normal thing? or am just being paranoid lol

Thanks guys

Pullstarter
02-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi Guys,

got a call from dealer advising that Tiggy is ready for pick up Monday!!!!:banana: while I will make sure to go through the steps given in this thread before taking possession of the car, I do have a question and hopefully you guys can help me out. At time of test driving dealer provided us with a Tig which was already sold and we were allowed to take it for a spin, I did ask him if that was normal given the fact that it was not a demo car!:confused:

Hence, anticipating dealer doing the same thing with our Tig, should I be alarm to see a few kms on the vehicle? or is it a normal thing? or am just being paranoid lol

Thanks guys

As long as it's all ok I wouldn't be too worried. Car dealers are pretty crooked in general so who know's what goes on there? You probably wouldn't want to know lol.

Rosey
09-09-2009, 08:01 AM
HI Guys,

Got Tiggy on Monday,. Surprisingly dealer was all sweet and nice this time around, introducing us to their service centre, we spent like 2 hrs inspecting the car and salesman patiently explained how to operate Tiggy the dos and don’ts etc:cool: ...hmmm wonder if he read my thead in this forum? Lol anyway all I can say after driving this awesome vehicle is this:, it reeeeaaaaally has a WOW factor to it...its a head turner..We thoroughly enjoyed the attention from other drivers, but you guys most certainly know what am talking about ha ha. I will upload some pics soon.

We've got Goodyear tyres , 23 kms on it at time of delivery and the 147 TSI engine is really quiet, pick up is extraordinary .:eek:

Now on the less appealing part, its already appearing that I cud have a warranty issue here,:rolleyes: so I want to check with you all if you have at some point experienced this problem or you think it’s normal. When the key is in the ignition and turned once, a continuous buzzing sound can be heard which emanates from the hood (maybe its the fan as engine is hot?)

:biggthumpup: Your inputs are really appreciated.

PS: Pullstarter, yup I most defnitely dont wanna know lol

Transfer
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Now on the less appealing part, its already appearing that I cud have a warranty issue here,:rolleyes: so I want to check with you all if you have at some point experienced this problem or you think it’s normal. When the key is in the ignition and turned once, a continuous buzzing sound can be heard which emanates from the hood (maybe its the fan as engine is hot?)

:biggthumpup: Your inputs are really appreciated.
l
Buzzing sounds odd. I have the US 2.0TSI 4Motion model and you may get a short (less than 5 seconds) and quiet mechanical sound (don't know if I would call it a buzz) that is the fuel pump turning on. My fan stays on after driving but that is quite obviously the fan with no buzzing. How loud is it? How long does it stay on? Does it stop if you turn on the car or remove the key?

Rosey
09-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Buzzing sounds odd. I have the US 2.0TSI 4Motion model and you may get a short (less than 5 seconds) and quiet mechanical sound (don't know if I would call it a buzz) that is the fuel pump turning on. My fan stays on after driving but that is quite obviously the fan with no buzzing. How loud is it? How long does it stay on? Does it stop if you turn on the car or remove the key?

quite loud :frown: buzz sound stays on as long as the vehicle is on (note, after the ignition key is turned on for e,g to power up everything, not the one for starting up the engine,) hope am making sense ! it stops when I turn on/off the car or remove the key! it isnt normal is it? arrrrrghhhhhhh

Torn
09-09-2009, 11:38 PM
My polo Gti buzzed when i turned it off, this was the electric water pump that keeps recirculating coolant through the turbo, think all turbo VW have the feature, so no need for a turbo timer etc.. Not sure if this is your issue though

mtj007
10-09-2009, 12:05 AM

My Golf does this and my mum's old Passat did it (both diesels though)... no idea what it is but I assumed it was normal. Happens no matter if the engine's cold or warmed up. Haven't noticed if my dad's Golf does it (diesel too)...

Congrats on the new car by the way - love the Tiguans.

Rosey
10-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Thank guys :)

My brother in law who is into cars, thinks its normal too, but havent contacted service centre yet. Dealer advised we got some little upgrades as we got a MY10 tiguan?? coz it was built after July or something! display is white which we found to be convenient, nothing to complain so far aside from the buzzing sound which seems to come on only after powering up the car...and hey did I mention that its an awesome car?well cant say it enough lol.:bowdown: *drool drool*

Tiguan rocks! have a great day guys

Cheers

seangti
10-09-2009, 11:51 AM
there was also a post in the polo section about a similar noice. it was apparently something to do with the recirculation of air to the airbox, can't recall whether it was vacuum or fan related, again no issue. Call a couple of dealers or take another for a test drive... wouldn't be too worried by your description.

nicandlance
14-12-2009, 09:47 AM
I have had a very friendly fellow forum member advise me to go and inspect my new car as soon as it reaches the dealership (and prior to them getting it registered and prepared for delivery). Has anyone else done this? I thought that might be a good tip!
(Of course, I would be doing a follow up check on the day of pickup!)

vdubber1212
18-04-2011, 07:55 PM
I was also concerned about this. When I was at a dealership about a week ago they had this new GTI which I was told it was just delivered the day before and they allowed me to test drive it and since then probably more people have. I've asked the dealer then if it's a demo but he insisted it's a brand new car and I was the first one to test drive it. So does that still make it a brand new car? Maybe on paper. It was unregistered then and I thought to myself maybe it was in the process of being a demo - the car only had like 50kms on it. I needed a car pretty soon and got an ok deal this evening so decided to put down a deposit on the car subject to the car being a brand new car, that is, not the one I test drove that day - had rattles coming from the back underneath and the salesman was kind of driving it hard to show me the potential of the car. He was very knowledgeable and friendly and went through about the car very thoroughly. Anyway, I was assured by the agent who got me the deal tonight that they had another one in stock in their back yard - honestly I don't know about that as it was a fairly small dealership and most of all I was never told of this when we were negotiating previously. I was not very comfortable with the fact that the car might have been driven by several people so I stepped back and looked around for another one but no luck. So I am just wondering if it is legally allowed for dealers to set the km back to 0 under a certain number of km? Maybe just once? I am going in to check if there really are two cars with exactly the same options as they claim because I was never told that when I was there raising this concern and when I was talking to my agent about it recently. Maybe I'll get told the car has been sold only yesterday hence only one car in the stock now which is for me to pick up. Anyway, if the car I am buying is the one I test drove that day I'll seriously reconsider it.

vdubber1212
18-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks guys

I was also concerned about this. When I was at a dealership about a week ago they had this new GTI which I was told it was just delivered the day before and they allowed me to test drive it and since then probably more people have. I've asked the dealer then if it's a demo but he insisted it's a brand new car and I was the first one to test drive it. So does that still make it a brand new car? Maybe on paper. It was unregistered then and I thought to myself maybe it was in the process of being a demo - the car only had like 50kms on it. I needed a car pretty soon and got an ok deal this evening so decided to put down a deposit on the car subject to the car being a brand new car, that is, not the one I test drove that day - had rattles coming from the back underneath and the salesman was kind of driving it hard to show me the potential of the car. He was very knowledgeable and friendly and went through about the car very thoroughly. Anyway, I was assured by the agent who got me the deal tonight that they had another one in stock in their back yard - honestly I don't know about that as it was a fairly small dealership and most of all I was never told of this when we were negotiating previously. I was not very comfortable with the fact that the car might have been driven by several people so I stepped back and looked around for another one but no luck. So I am just wondering if it is legally allowed for dealers to set the km back to 0 under a certain number of km? Maybe just once? I am going in to check if there really are two cars with exactly the same options as they claim because I was never told that when I was there raising this concern and when I was talking to my agent about it recently. Maybe I'll get told the car has been sold only yesterday hence only one car in the stock now which is for me to pick up. Anyway, if the car I am buying is the one I test drove that day I'll seriously reconsider it.

vdubber1212
18-04-2011, 08:00 PM
As long as it's all ok I wouldn't be too worried. Car dealers are pretty crooked in general so who know's what goes on there? You probably wouldn't want to know lol.

Really? so maybe I'm not that crazy...

vdubber1212
18-04-2011, 08:04 PM
sorry guys, I didn't realise I was on Tiguan thread. I'm a newbie and was using a search engine to ask a question in an appropriate thread - sorry didn't see the title there.