PDA

View Full Version : NSW Would you be interested in RHD A-Pillar Gauge Pods

dainese
15-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi guys,

Honestly, I don't think there is a nicer way to mount a gauge to our cars than with this one here.

42 Draft Designs (http://www.42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/apillar_mk4_rhd.htm)

You can use velcro, glue, almost anything.

I am going to fit a Defi Racer gauge oil temp in mine.
Did you know oil temp takes much longer to warm up compared to your coolant temp especially (most likely the gauge in your car now)?

I was going to get one anyway. But it just makes a whole lot of sense to let everyone know about this so that we can ALL save money. I am volunteering to handle and co ordinate this (now that I have taken a break from uni).

FITS:
Volkswagen Jetta IV (1999-2005)
Volkswagen Golf/GTI IV (1999-2006)
Volkswagen R32 (MKIV) (2004-2004)

I have been talking to John, the sales rep for this company, and we can save on postage and get 10% off each item.

They are hand finished and supposedly take a LONG time to make.
Furthermore, you can't buy them anywhere except from UK eBay (so far, that I have found), and they are 65GBP each not including postage.
They only fit 52mm gauges.

If we get 10 (maybe negotiable) then;

Price for each is ~$67.50USD.
Shipping to me will be ~$6USD (And then I guess they can be picked up or I will have to send them out at buyers cost.)

Here is an email extract:

Justin,
Right now I don’t think anyone has any in-stock, we do not sell many of the RHD pods so our dealers do not stock them. If you give me your shipping address I could put together a quote for you!

Thanks,

-John

John Pelton
Sales & Shipping Manager
42 Draft Designs
www.42DraftDesigns.com

Hope this gets interest.

Cheers,

Justin

scorpionshane
16-08-2009, 08:17 PM
if they fit on a polo gti, then count me in..

mikinoz
16-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Just check this in your car before committing...

"Some 2001 and later VW vehicles use A-pillar mount airbags. A-pillar pods should NOT be used on these vehicles."

dainese
16-08-2009, 09:20 PM
if they fit on a polo gti, then count me in..

i will have to find out.
I will email them now.

Just check this in your car before committing...

"Some 2001 and later VW vehicles use A-pillar mount airbags. A-pillar pods should NOT be used on these vehicles."

I have many reports that the airbag deploys in the upper third of the a-pillar.

In addition, John also stated that they are fine. But that disclaimer is just there in case anything goes wrong.

The pod won't be bolted on. I don't see how it could affect it, especially provided with reports and seller email confirmation.

danish
16-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Put me down for one as well if they fit a Polo gti

dainese
16-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Put me down for one as well if they fit a Polo gti

cool, will find out,

awaiting response!

Thanks

bujna
17-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I've got one of these for my boost gauge, and i'm very happy with it.

My late 2002 Golf GTI doesn't have A-Pillar air bags. I can't confirm whether they were an option in Australia or not though.

JCM308
17-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't reccommend this on the Polo GTI's as these have A pillar airbags. Although the pod wouldn't be screwed in, it could act as a missile if the airbag deploys.

dainese
17-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't reccommend this on the Polo GTI's as these have A pillar airbags. Although the pod wouldn't be screwed in, it could act as a missile if the airbag deploys.

*sigh

I know that's logically what one might come to conclude at.

but, its something I am going to do, in light of the information i have read and received.

check in the first post, around half way down.
http://forums.vwvortex.com
/zerothread?id=1512666 (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1512666)

and a few more here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4127445

r32oc
http://www.r32oc.com/forced-induction/999-pillar-boost-gauge.html

and my email to sales rep for 42 Draft Design:

Justin,

Thank you for your email! The airbag deploys about 2/3 of the way up

you’re a-pillar so when it deploys it will not affect your airbag. We have

that recommendation on our site as a safety net for us so we are not held

liable. We have seen pictures of a-pillar air bags deployed with our pod

with no negative effects.

If you have any other questions let me know!

Thanks,

-John

John Pelton

Sales & Shipping Manager

42 Draft Designs

www.42DraftDesigns.com

**Please include previous emails when replying**

Cheers,

Justin

dainese
17-08-2009, 02:18 PM
and one more:

http://forums.motivemag.com/zerothread?id=4367695&page=1

JCM308
18-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Sorry Dainese, not trying to Hijack your thread, just making sure everyone is well informed.

This is some info from one of the posts you attached:

Our A-Pillar pods are designed to mount as low on the A-Pillar as possible, wedged between the dash and pillar, and if installed correctly will be very secure against the A-Pillar. The airbag deploys about 8" up the A-Pillar so a pod should not affect deployment at all. If you follow the installation instructions and have the retainer clip re-installed properly or replaced if damaged then you should be fine

If this is the case then this will be fine with the Polo BUT you WILL have to loose your tweeter as this would be about the position the pod would have to be mounted in.

Also something to consider is that these pillar mount pods are illegal (at least in NSW anyway), so the boys in blue may have something to say if you get pulled over.

dainese
18-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Sorry Dainese, not trying to Hijack your thread, just making sure everyone is well informed.

This is some info from one of the posts you attached:

Our A-Pillar pods are designed to mount as low on the A-Pillar as possible, wedged between the dash and pillar, and if installed correctly will be very secure against the A-Pillar. The airbag deploys about 8" up the A-Pillar so a pod should not affect deployment at all. If you follow the installation instructions and have the retainer clip re-installed properly or replaced if damaged then you should be fine

If this is the case then this will be fine with the Polo BUT you WILL have to loose your tweeter as this would be about the position the pod would have to be mounted in.

Also something to consider is that these pillar mount pods are illegal (at least in NSW anyway), so the boys in blue may have something to say if you get pulled over.

John told me they won't fit Polo.

:rolleyes: