PDA

View Full Version : Spammers

jasn78
14-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey mods, correct me if im wrong because been ages since i signed up for here, but why cant we have some sort of check system e.g character based data entry to ensure not so many spammers or even as evo-oz does with a delay period where they check your details?

Treza360
14-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure it does do that. The bots seem to be pretty smart these day or they have an army of idiots signing up only to be banned pretty much instantaneously.
I'm thinking we need a activate membership feature where mods and admin have to activate your account before they can post or something. As fun as banning spammers is it does get a bit tedious after a while.
Cheers,
Trent

jasn78
14-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm pretty sure it does do that. The bots seem to be pretty smart these day or they have an army of idiots signing up only to be banned pretty much instantaneously.
I'm thinking we need a activate membership feature where mods and admin have to activate your account before they can post or something. As fun as banning spammers is it does get a bit tedious after a while.
Cheers,
Trent

yeah mate thats pretty much how evooz works

gregozedobe
14-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I read a report recently that indicated spamming is now a 9-5 job for people in low labour cost countries, that is how they now avoid the 'bot' checks. There is a lull in spamming activity on the weekends, and the traffic picks up during the normal 'working' week.

It's very similar to the predator/prey cycle. As the prey evolves to be harder to catch, so does the predator evove to get more efficient. We just need to get harder to 'catch' all the time (in this anaology we are the prey).

RhysQ
15-08-2009, 12:27 AM
What about one of those things where you have to type in the 'letters shown in the box' before confirming your registration. I didn't think the spam systems could get past those automatically.

Treza360
15-08-2009, 08:16 AM
;371531']What about one of those things where you have to type in the 'letters shown in the box' before confirming your registration. I didn't think the spam systems could get past those automatically.
Yeah that's what I was referring to when I was saying they're getting smarter or employing people to type them in. We definitely have that image box where you have to type in the letters that are show (I just checked).
Cheers,
Trent

Treza360
15-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Have a look at this new thread for new members who signup.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=33033
All spam will now be in the newbies section which at least will now make it easy to find and identify.
With the forum upgrade we can also delete as spam now which means all thread or posts created by the spammer will be deleted and the user also banned. :cool:
Cheers,
Trent