PDA

View Full Version : Mirror dipping / Reverse mirror tilt

MaccaTSI
14-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi All,

Is anyone using this setting that adjusts the passenger mirror down when you put the car in reverse?

I have followed the instructions in the manual to try and set it up but it just doesn't seem to happen. :? I've made sure I have the mirror toggle is switched to the passenger side when I put it in reverse.

Anyone else have issues?

team_v
14-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I found something on Vortex that said it will only work if you have the comfort pack (leather seats, memory pack etc).
They were trying to activate it through vagcom but couldn't get it.

glennbot
14-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I asked my dealer about this...
Apparently it only works if you have reversing sensors.

He said that it's a setting in the option menu but it doesn't do any thing when you enable it.

He did say that personally he believed that if it's in the menu then is should work and if enough people complain about it - VW might enable the feature on the standard car.

Good Luck

mr gee
15-08-2009, 09:04 PM
my dealer said it's not available as well.

cktsi
16-08-2009, 09:20 PM
My car is the same. It's listed on the menu, but doesn't actually work. My dealer said to try putting it in Reverse, then moving the mirror down, then putting the DSG into Drive, move the mirror back & move away... didn't work the next time I put the car into reverse.

If it's only available with reverse parking sensors, that's a pity - but makes sense they want to bundle it with an option (as it probably does require memory to store the setting)

Yevvy
16-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi All,

Is anyone using this setting that adjusts the passenger mirror down when you put the car in reverse?

I have followed the instructions in the manual to try and set it up but it just doesn't seem to happen. :? I've made sure I have the mirror toggle is switched to the passenger side when I put it in reverse.

Anyone else have issues?

I know that in an mk4 it only works with power leather seats, the option not available in oz unfortunately. don't think it would be different for an mk6

MaccaTSI
17-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Damn, I didn't think it would be available when I was reading the manual, but when I saw it in the menu I assumed it was in fact a working feature.

Oh well, at least now I know I'm not doing something wrong in trying to set it up!

Thanks all! :)

17-08-2009, 01:38 PM
The mirror dip feature is only available in conjunction with park assist. This is clearly represented in the sales brochure.

glennbot
17-08-2009, 10:31 PM
This is what the brochure says:

Parking Assistance
Park Assist, parallel parking assistance
Parking distance sensors, front and rear
Optical Parking System (OPS) in radio/navigation display
Automatic kerb function when reversing, passenger’s side exterior mirror

gregozedobe
17-08-2009, 11:55 PM
IIRC On the Mk Vs dipping passenger side mirror when selecting reverse would only work when you had the optional electronic seats with memory (they were the only ones that had a memory so the car knew where to put the mirror back to when you started driving forward again).

coastie
20-08-2009, 06:58 PM
It works on mine, I would say that you have to be watching the mirror to actually see the movement but it moves enough for me to see the top of the front door handle when not activated and when selected reverse I can see the bottom of the front door handle. Not much i know but it does work.

I don't have electric seats but they would be nice.

21-08-2009, 07:59 AM
You just have to set up the mirror in the right position so you can see the kerb properly. It tells you how to do it in the owners manual so you can correctly set it up to get better vision of the kerb.:)

guliver_twist
22-08-2009, 09:58 AM
works for me...but I have park assist :banana:

logger
22-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Why would you need to look in your mirrors if you have park assist? Dont you trust it :biggrin:

guliver_twist
23-08-2009, 12:41 AM
quicker to park without it..and i dont like using it all the time as it gets so damn close to the kerb (i would be very upset if it kerbed my alloys) :) I mainly use it to show off the car :P
but you do make an excellent point !

jdimitri
25-09-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm talking about the left mirror automatically dipping when you put the car into reverse...

The manual states it exists but I can't find it in the settings ("mirror down" as the manual describes it)
Searched the web and some people say you need park assist optioned to have to feature.
Some say you need the electric seats, among many other theories out there.

But then I read someone's base model R has the feature, as well as all jettas!

So who has the feature and who hasn't? What car do you have with what options?
I would love this feature on my MY12 GTI as the detroits look like they're quite prone to gutter rash :(

Conclusion: The car needs to be fitted with parking sensors from the factory. For every model except the R park assist needs to be optioned for the mirrors to dip.

SilvrFoxX
25-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Yeah it exists, great feature.. the trick is when you set the mirrors do the Left one first then the right .. then set the mirror toggle on the door back to the left

SMOK3Y
25-09-2011, 09:37 AM
im just surprised you find you need it to reverse in a little golf?

nat225
25-09-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm talking about the left mirror automatically dipping when you put the car into reverse...

The manual states it exists but I can't find it in the settings ("mirror down" as the manual describes it)
Searched the web and some people say you need park assist optioned to have to feature.
Some say you need the electric seats, among many other theories out there.

But then I read someone's base model R has the feature, as well as all jettas!

So who has the feature and who hasn't? What car do you have with what options?
I would love this feature on my MY12 GTI as the detroits look like they're quite prone to gutter rash :(

my understanding is that you have to have the park assist option to have the auto dipping left mirror... i did have that function in my Mk6 118TSI w/ park assist option. but not in my Mk6 GTI without park assist option.

however i heard it could be activated via VAGCOM or something...

im just surprised you find you need it to reverse in a little golf?

it is something i do everytime (manually) when parallel parking, quick and small exercise to avoid potential kerb damage to my 18" wheels!

SMOK3Y
25-09-2011, 10:10 AM
ok.... ill leave it at then

SilvrFoxX
25-09-2011, 10:45 AM
my understanding is that you have to have the park assist option to have the auto dipping left mirror...

The Golf R doesn't come with Park Assist but has the mirror dipping function.. love it

Candyman
25-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I use it as well

Wish the drivers side mirror had more adjustment outwards though

Mine is at the max but still not far enough for optimum

jacs
25-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I dont have the 'mirror down' option in my 'convenience' (MFD) setting neither.................would be nice if anyone else can help out ?

Candyman
25-09-2011, 11:39 AM
There is no option

You select the left mirror whilst key is in the on position and stationary, move it down to the area you want to view and then turn key off and then every time you select reverse with the selector on the left mirror it will move down automatically

When you drive off, move selector off left and it will return to normal

That is how mine works on my R which doesn't have park assist

MY12, DSG, leather. Otherwise base model

nat225
25-09-2011, 12:25 PM
in the R it comes standard with the front and rear sensors..

i read somewhere it could be activated in the Mk5 / Mk6 GTI but a specific factory parking sensors module has to be installed..

it's a lifesaving for the rims, since i'm no good at judging the distance between the kerb and left rear wheel without looking at them on the mirror...

SilvrFoxX
25-09-2011, 12:39 PM
There is no option

You select the left mirror whilst key is in the on position and stationary, move it down to the area you want to view and then turn key off and then every time you select reverse with the selector on the left mirror it will move down automatically

candyman

you should be able to just leave it on the left mirror, as soon as I put it in reverse it dips and then when I return to drive it automatically reverts. there is no manual intervention required... you may have to reset it

Candyman
25-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Mmmmm, mine only moves back if I switch off left

Will set it again

jacs
25-09-2011, 02:08 PM
There is no option

no luck, ive tried it all...............i'll mention to dealer next time.........thanks anyway guys

Candyman
25-09-2011, 02:16 PM
You do need the parking sensors as the controller is in the same unit

jdimitri
25-09-2011, 04:40 PM
You do need the parking sensors as the controller is in the same unit

Damn, I didn't know the R comes with parking sensors. I thought there was hope for us GTI owners!
I wish it was an option to have just the sensor without the park assist, $1500 is way too much considering I'd never use the self-parking feature.

I was looking forward to it when I saw it in the manual, oh well!
I'll call up the dealer on Monday anyway to see if there's any way to "fix" it.

Candyman
25-09-2011, 05:33 PM
The R comes standard with sensors but not park assist.

There may still be hope through the dealer, not sure. Good luck

MIRSAD
25-09-2011, 05:41 PM
as per VW Australia brochure:

"Parking distance sensors, front and rear
Optical Parking System (OPS) in radio display
Automatic kerb function when reversing, passenger’s Side exterior mirror Parking distance sensors, OPS and automatic kerb function are features supplied with the Park Assist option. These features are standard for Golf R however Park Assist functionality is not available"

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/content/medialib/vwd4/au/common/brochures/golf/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/golf_brochure.pdf

Corey_R
25-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Hehe.. it's funny every time this comes up, how many posts it takes to get to the actual answer.

Thanks MIRSAD :)

Candyman
25-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Hehe.. it's funny every time this comes up, how many posts it takes to get to the actual answer.

Thanks MIRSAD :)

Funny how the answer was given a few times already

Re the VW PDF, it contains errors as well. Go figure.

Corey_R
25-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Funny how the answer was given a few times already
Yep, in several other threads :)

Candyman
25-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Search function on this forum doesnt work very well and sticky threads are not that well done

Not surprising questions get asked multiple times....

SilvrFoxX
25-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Search function on this forum doesnt work very well and sticky threads are not that well done

Not surprising questions get asked multiple times....http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/09/th_popcorngif-2.jpg

Corey_R
25-09-2011, 08:23 PM

Not surprising questions get asked multiple times....

Yeah, I know. Like how ****ing rediculous is it that when you search on "dipping" and tell it to show you "posts" that you don't get a valid result until the 2nd post down... man, that sucks.

Seriously dude, if you have a good suggestion, please inform the world. Otherwise, please realise the fact that some people just don't bother to do a search, or look at the index. Cheers :)

SilvrFoxX
25-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I use it as well

Wish the drivers side mirror had more adjustment outwards though

Mine is at the max but still not far enough for optimum

You can.. either move the seat forward or tilt the seat forward .. problem soved

redhot
25-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I know. Like how ****ing rediculous is it that when you search on "dipping" and tell it to show you "posts" that you don't get a valid result until the 2nd post down... man, that sucks.

Seriously dude, if you have a good suggestion, please inform the world. Otherwise, please realise the fact that some people just don't bother to do a search, or look at the index. Cheers :)

When is VW going to give buyers folding ext mirrors and illuminate the ignition switch?

Corey_R
25-09-2011, 08:43 PM
You can.. either move the seat forward or tilt the seat forward .. problem soved

Actually. That's something I agree with. I have the same issue with the drivers side mirror not adjusting enough.... although, for my particualr seat position, the issue is more that the outer edge of the drivers side mirror housing obscures too much and so there is a limit to the useful maximum adjustment available... but that's another issue :)

When is VW going to give buyers folding ext mirrors and illuminate the ignition switch?

The folding external mirrors is an option on many models overseas, but not here. So I don't think it's a pressing issue for them. Australia doesn't typically have thin alleys to traverse.... I don't know.

As for the illumination of the ignition switch. I'd say that you'll get push button start before that... :)

SMOK3Y
26-09-2011, 12:17 AM
i still think its a matter of learning to reverse properly..

DrCox
26-09-2011, 06:06 AM
There is no option

Save yourself a couple of kilojoules of effort!

After setting up your two preferred positions of the left mirror, you don't have to play around with the mirror selector every time you want to reverse/cease reversing - if you did, it would be incentive enough to learn to learn the width of your car! Mine was almost fully automatic. Oddly, the only time I had to muck around with the switch was when I had the mirror heaters on (the switch at 12 o'clock) - the mirror wouldn't drop until I turned the heat off. In any other position, the mirror would auto-drop in reverse and auto-correct when moving off. I assume everyone else has found the same?
MY11 R, no park assist.

Candyman
26-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Tried again this morning (at service dept)

Same issue so perhaps something not right in my R ?

They are looking into it now

It isn't about learning the width of the car

For me, it is just having a feature of the car work as expected. I may or may not use it from time to time.

jdimitri
26-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Apologies, I know this question has been posted before but there seemed to be some uncertainty every time.
Conclusion: The car needs to be fitted with parking sensors from the factory. For every model except the R park assist needs to be optioned.

i still think its a matter of learning to reverse properly..

Okay we get it... Apparently two posts saying that you're an amazing parker wasn't enough and you felt the need for another. Here, have a lolly :lollipop:

langers_sydney
26-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Hmmm.
I thought I had set the MFD within setup for dipping mirrors, anyway I know it works and I love it....

LS

dood
26-09-2011, 02:45 PM
my new passat 118 comes with front and rear park sensors as standard, but does not have the mirror dipping feature. Apparently it's only available in the V6 version.

langers_sydney
28-09-2011, 07:40 PM
I knew i hadn't made it up. If you go to the convenience menu on the MFD in the Golf R it is an option to tick called mirrors down. You can switch it on and off.

LS.

changas
29-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I knew i hadn't made it up. If you go to the convenience menu on the MFD in the Golf R it is an option to tick called mirrors down. You can switch it on and off.

LS.

+1 i thought that was the case as well, i've got it as an option in my convenience menu as well.

langers_sydney
17-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Talk about tempt fate. I noticed on asaturday as I reversed that the mirror has now stopped dipping! Checked the MFD and the option is still ticked. Any ideas how to reset or reprogramme anyone?

Cheers
L_S

DreamensioN
17-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Talk about tempt fate. I noticed on asaturday as I reversed that the mirror has now stopped dipping! Checked the MFD and the option is still ticked. Any ideas how to reset or reprogramme anyone?

Cheers
L_S

Is your mirror selector switch set to "Left"?

langers_sydney
17-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Aha.
Maybe not will check, it needs to be yes?

Prodigy
17-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Aha.
Maybe not will check, it needs to be yes?

Yes, for the dipping mirror to work.

backdoc
01-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks in advance for your help on this one.

A wonderful forum member helped me code my LED lights last night, and we were looking at the mirror tilt function. I've got a MY11.5 just like him, and he had this function enabled from picking his car up. He confirmed we had the same electronics revision using the VAGCOM (I know it's not called that now but not sure what, sorry). Mine has never worked/existed.

As we were playing around with the coding there was an option to enable this. So we did. It then came up on the cars menu under Convenience and we followed the manual for setting up the function, but no luck.

Any suggestions on what I might do to rectify this issue and can others with MY11.5 cars confirm they have this function. My mate with an Addidas edition has it so I assume all the electronics and hardware exist for this function to work.

Cheers all

AdamD
02-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Backdoc, as per this thread mate, with the GTI the function is only available when Park Assist is fitted, and doesn't appear to be able to be enabled by a coding change alone.

backdoc
02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Backdoc, as per this thread mate, with the GTI the function is only available when Park Assist is fitted, and doesn't appear to be able to be enabled by a coding change alone.

Yes, I posted a new thread on this & then I assume one of you lovely Moderators posted it in the correct place. Sorry :facepalm:

I have subsequently found the answer. Bummer..............

Thanks for keeping me in check

watevs
28-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Do auto dipping mirrors come standard on mk6 gti? Lol

Umai Naa!!
28-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Only on cars with leather, I beieve.

AdamD
28-10-2012, 04:29 PM
The auto-dipping passenger mirror is only fitted to GTIs with Park Assist optioned. On the R, it's standard IIRC.

SilvrFoxX
28-10-2012, 04:37 PM
On the R, it's standard IIRC.yup.....

Allegiance
29-10-2012, 01:56 PM
I finally figured this out on mine :D It wasn't on the L selector.

candranata
08-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I have a 2012 Golf TSI 118 with reverse sensor, but i can't find the menu in my MDF.

Any advise?

Transporter
08-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Only available with the memory seats.

Sent from my GT-N8000

AdamD
09-11-2012, 07:51 AM
I have a 2012 Golf TSI 118 with reverse sensor, but i can't find the menu in my MDF.

Any advise?

Actually, I believe it's only available with Golfs fitted with Park Assist, unless it's an R in which case it is standard.

You cannot get memory seats on a Golf.