PDA

View Full Version : WTF tax

sreay
13-08-2009, 06:39 PM
they want to tax drivers on how far we drive, i reckon we pay them enough on petrol

team_v
13-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Full story below:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/13/2654463.htm

Just imagine the aftermarket GPS modification market :)

Also you could just, just encase the GPS emitter in a lead box or another highy signal resistant compound to block the signal being traced.
Alternatively, you could just cut the power to the GPS signal or have it removed.

There is no way they can actually do it effectively, it will get canned most likely.

sreay
13-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Full story below:

Also you could just, just encase the GPS emitter in a lead box or another highy signal resistant compound to block the signal being traced.
Alternatively, you could just cut the power to the GPS signal or have it removed.

There is no way they can actually do it effectively, it will get canned most likely.

yes very true

tinto
13-08-2009, 07:18 PM
won't happen.
The mortgage belt will implode with rage.

gerhard
13-08-2009, 07:19 PM
The process of reforming an entire tax system requires a "think tank" approach, where every imaginable ide is put on the table, however stupid it might appear to be.

Then the whole pile is sifted, analysed, tested, analysed some more, and all the impractical, unworkable, foolish, etc suggestions are set aside.

Hopefully the final outcome of any reform will be an equitable system for all.

Maybe one where people can actually get health treatment, education, and live a dignified existence would be good :)

Maverick
13-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Full story below:

How complicated do you want to make it? Buy a $40 device that blocks the GPS signal and plugs into the cigarette lighter!

V®6
13-08-2009, 09:29 PM
How complicated do you want to make it? Buy a $40 device that blocks the GPS signal and plugs into the cigarette lighter!

Or even cheaper, cut the wires and chuck it out the window.

Preferably at your local MP

static1800
13-08-2009, 09:49 PM
You are already taxed on how far you drive... the more you drive, the more petrol you buy :rolleyes: what will they think of next....

Rocket36
13-08-2009, 09:50 PM
They already charge me for multiple registrations for three vehicles, all of which ONLY I drive and can't be driven at the same time. Yet people with one vehicle (the same as far as road use goes) pay once.

The proper thing to do would be to charge people much more for licences like they do in some parts Europe.

Preen59
13-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Pretty sure this is what fuel excise is for isn't it? I seriously hate most of these back scratching, money pocketing politicians. Scum of the earth. :brutal:

Preen59
13-08-2009, 09:58 PM
They already charge me for multiple registrations for three vehicles, all of which ONLY I drive and can't be driven at the same time. Yet people with one vehicle (the same as far as road use goes) pay once.

The proper thing to do would be to charge people much more for licences like they do in some parts Europe.

I agree, however they already wound you for a license.. :(

4wheels
13-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Well if it was replacing/reducing some other fees, like registration, it could be a good thing. Imagine registration offset to $100 instead of $600. We enthusiasts could afford to keep (more) multiple cars, but we'd still only drive about the same distance and pay the same tax as for one.

Mind you, when have you ever seen a gov't fully offset one tax with another.

Brian
2007 T5 Trakkadu
1993 Porsche 968CS
1978 Porsche 924 (on club reg. $100)

gareth_oau
14-08-2009, 12:52 AM
part of the problem with multiple taxes is that some are stare (rego) and some are federal (like petrol) and while our government bureaucracies never agree on how to share revenue, then we will be hit by different ones continuously

gerhard
14-08-2009, 09:45 AM
With all the hype now about electric and/or hybrid cars, there is a problem emerging for governments, and motorists who think it will save them money.

As the fuel usage goes down, the excise goes down with it. The use of electricity goes up for the charging of batteries at the same time.

Don't forget that new non-hybrid cars now use 1/2 of the fuel of new cars 10 years ago, so there is already a severe revenue dip from fuel excise per person.

Who is clever enought to predict how the govt will address this shift in energy use????

Any takers?

1) Excise on electricity - no good for federal, as it is State run, hard to separate household consumption from vehicle consumption.

2) Drop fuel excise altogether, replace with a new federal tax on mileage based on various factors like vehicle size, etc.
Easy to collect - just add to BAS, PAYG, weekly payroll tax collection.
Easy to be equitable and rebateable for, say. pensioners
Money goes to federal coffers just like the excise