PDA

View Full Version : DVD bypass

avalasia
11-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass the DVD player so it will play video while driving and not only when the car is stationary?

team_v
11-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't know of any way.
There may be some vagcom changes you can make to get it to happen however.

It is ilegal to have the DVD player running while the car is moving just so you know.
I also don't see the point in having it running while the car is moving.

avalasia
11-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't see much use in having DVD capabilities and not being to enjoy a DVD while driving....(NOT THE DRIVER) other passengers should be able to still watch the screen on a long trip, without having to go to the extent of installing extra screens in the back.

High-Fidelity
11-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't see much use in having DVD capabilities and not being to enjoy a DVD while driving....(NOT THE DRIVER) other passengers should be able to still watch the screen on a long trip, without having to go to the extent of installing extra screens in the back.

Kufatec do a TV-in-motion adapter but you lose the dead reckoning ability of the RNS-510.

avalasia
11-08-2009, 02:59 PM
are any features lost from the "tv in motion" workaround?

NZTiguan
11-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I will state this calmly and quietly. There's a very good reason why the unit will not play a DVD when moving, it involves the safety of every road user not just the driver of the vehicle involved. For what it's worth if I ever saw somebody running such a system I would "dob them in" without any hesitation whatsoever. Your life may not be precious but mine and my family's are.

AGO41T
11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
usualy normal dvd players have a handbrake wire which once the hand brake drops video cuts off..

just ground the wire :D

team_v
11-08-2009, 03:28 PM
usualy normal dvd players have a handbrake wire which once the hand brake drops video cuts off..

just ground the wire :D

I would not reccomend this as it is illegal to have the DVD player going while the car is in motion.

I agree completely with NZTig in saying it is a rule to protect not only you but every other driver on the road.

AGO41T
11-08-2009, 03:37 PM
yes it is a safety thing..

but if u really want it then u gotta do it :D
its great to be able to let your passengers watch a dvd.. i love it

avalasia
11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Come off your high horses will you. Dob me in?

Since when did a dvd player become the most dangerous thing on the road? i don't intend on watching movies while im driving but last time i checked the Tiguan has room for another 4 passengers who are free to watch a movie as they please.

Speed limits are also rules put in place to protect drivers, have you even exceeded the speed limit even by a single km/h?

team_v
11-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Come off your high horses will you. Dob me in?

Since when did a dvd player become the most dangerous thing on the road? i don't intend on watching movies while im driving but last time i checked the Tiguan has room for another 4 passengers who are free to watch a movie as they please.

You can't claim that it's okay because you don't intend to watch it.

The rules are in place to minimalise distractions to the driver, if you want the passengers to watch dvd's while you are driving then you can purchase aftermarket tv screens for the rear passenger seats.
As a real life example/simulation, try sitting in the tv room at home and not watching it while everyone else is watching and enjoying it, i can guarantee that you won't be able to last about 2 hours (average dvd length)

When it comes down to it, the rules are there and you have to abide by them or face the consequences.
I would dob someone in as well if i saw their dvd player on whilst driving.

WannaTig
11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Happily those in this thread who want to drive with a DVD playing appear to be in Sydney and a long long way from me.

Gotta say I agree with those on the safety side of the fence.

Maverick
11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Kufatec do a TV-in-motion adapter but you lose the dead reckoning ability of the RNS-510.

No you don't.

And the Kufatec video in motion has a problem in that the ability to disable the unit does not work.

Sanman
11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
The AVC9000-1 has an external video out (I suppose the RNS510 also has external video out), so it would be a simple matter to plug in a hreadrestraint or roof mounted additional screen.

dylan8
11-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a aftermarket dvd unit which is wired to the hand break like AGO41T said, the interesting thing is, you can get a second display (say to put on your sun visors like i planned to do originally) have the in dash wired legally and correctly, and run the second display off the video out and its perfectly legal to watch as far as i can understand.

You can ground the main display or put a hidden switch in, but if you get caught by the police, its illegal. and if you were in a crash, i think your insurance company would use that as a way out also.

blutopless2
11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
As a real life example/simulation, try sitting in the tv room at home and not watching it while everyone else is watching and enjoying it, i can guarantee that you won't be able to last about 2 hours (average dvd length)

gotta disagree with this one.... if i'm driving and a dvd is playing then my attention is gonna be on the road not the dvd screen.
If i'm sitting in the lounge with nothing to look at or concentrate on then of course you will end up watching the tv.

avalasia
12-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Alot of people have told me the same thing in regards to grounding the wire to the handbrake. Im not sure about the Jetta but the Tiguan has an electric handbrake so im guessing it wouldn't be a simple job, am i right?

AGO41T
12-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Alot of people have told me the same thing in regards to grounding the wire to the handbrake. Im not sure about the Jetta but the Tiguan has an electric handbrake so im guessing it wouldn't be a simple job, am i right?

take it to Doran pro Audio at bankstown.. they will be able to do it for you.

avalasia
12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
good old Doran aye?

Im sure he will know a way around this problem but might charge big $$$, doran isn't cheap.

AGO41T
12-08-2009, 09:35 AM
yeh they know their stuff,

maybe ring them and ask.. theres also soundmasters at granville

Maverick
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM

Your RNS 510 and other third generation head units do not use the hand brake to control the screen activation. They rely on the CAN bus to detect when the car has started moving and the screen switches off, it turns back on when the car has stopped and so forth.

The ONLY way to get around this is to buy a video in motion device like the Kufatec unit which intercepts the signals to the headunit allowing operation of the screen when the car is moving.

CatonaPC©
12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Any question or advice that clearly, as in this case, encourages or gives advice on how to circumvent a safety feature should be removed.

Where are the Mods?????

Avalasia. You would be kidding us and yourself if you think you're not gong to be distracted by a movie while you're driving. As for any company that would set up such a thing, they would be exposing themselves to criminal negligence if any illegal modification they perform causes an accident.

AGO41T
12-08-2009, 12:39 PM
relax man... let the guy do wot he wants.. im gonna put some tvs on my front bumper for on coming traffic to watch :cool:

DieselTig
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
:shock:First it was the mobile phone as a distraction and now is the dvd player. It's as if the home theatre is not enough, now we have to watch movies while we are driving. There are better things to watch outside the window:smile: rather than glued to a 5 inch screen. Next we will have dvd screens built into our sunglasses. Recipe for disaster. The dvd player is disabled for a good reason while you are driving!